Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss WiFi in the parks?! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey guys, I'm planning to make a two week trip to the world with a buddy of mine next September. Since we're frmo Germany we won't have a data plan ...
    maxiv is offline A-Ticket holder

WiFi in the parks?!

Hey guys,

I'm planning to make a two week trip to the world with a buddy of mine next September.

Since we're frmo Germany we won't have a data plan in the US which means no internet for our smartphones on the go.

So here my questions:

A) Is there a good provider that offers prepaid data plans and with which we can also make phone calls?

B) Somewhere I read something about WiFi coming to the parks, can't remember where that was though. Do you guys know more about this?

C) Are there any good apps for Android besids Lines!

D) What's the difference in buying the Unofficial Guide To Walt Disney World 2012 and just subscribing to touringplans.com (besides getting the book obv)? When I buy the book I DO get full subscription to the website, right? Or am I wrong?

Looking fordward to your guys' answers :-)

Can't wait to return to WDW after then 4 years! I used to work at the German pavillion for a year and I really really miss home

maxiv is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: WiFi in the parks?!

Can nobody help me with this?

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Ok so what you might be thinking of is the recent announcement that they've brought free WiFi into the majority of the Deluxe/DVC resorts. I've not heard about them bringing it into the parks (and to be honest I think it'd be a horrible decision but that's a whole other topic).

There are a few prepaid cellular providers in the Orlando area that aren't too badly priced. Boost Mobile is pretty popular down there and I think they even have Android phones. AT&T has a prepaid service in that area as well but I'm not sure on the data plan piece.

No clue on the Android question (I have an iPhone) or the book question though sorry!

Two thoughts for you:

1) See if your carrier in Germany offers an International data plan. My mother recently went to Italy and for that week, upgraded her AT&T Data Plan to International.
    2) Forget the phones... enjoy your time in the parks and just use the phones at the resort if you need to call home.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

VGL_Lynx is offline B-Ticket Holder

There might be a bandwidth issue of rolling out Wifi in the actual parks. Remember that some attractions and locations need a lot of bandwidth for reliable operation. If Wifi was up and running, can you imagine the impact on the infrastructure with that many private devices pinging the local networks? Ouch.

I'd love it, but don't know if it is realistic.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Why would anyone want wi-fi in the parks to begin with?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney filed permits about 2 weeks ago for antenna driven WiFi for their entire property.

If your phone converts from data to WiFi where available you won't tank your data plan while on vacation.

The property wide WiFi is fitting in perfectly with the X-Pass. If you will be able to make all sorts of reservations in advance via computer or hand held device, they will need to have WiFi in place.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

And to think people used to go to the parks daily, for decades, without a telephone. How did we survive?!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    And to think people used to go to the parks daily, for decades, without a telephone. How did we survive?!
    I'm really with ya on this one, my kids would disagree with me though. I remember when cell phones just became affordable for the average folk to own. It was so irritating to be on an attraction or at a show and phones ringing, people talking through the pirates or small world. There was not phone edict at all in the beginning. Now at least most of it is texting, not as intrusive to other guests. I have seen live trip reports every 20 minutes from some, with photo's. I couldn't do that, not my idea of getting away from it all.

While I do carry my phone the only time I tend to use it is if we split up and a text is sent to meet where.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.