Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Alot of Questions in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello all, So let me just apologise first for the amount of questions Iím going to be asking. I havenít been to WDW as an adult, but weíre planning on ...
    Ian
    Ian is offline A-Ticket holder

Post Alot of Questions

Hello all,

So let me just apologise first for the amount of questions Iím going to be asking.
    I havenít been to WDW as an adult, but weíre planning on going for the first time in many years. There will be 2 adults only, Flying from Manchester on 12th to 26th October (Anytime in October is fine though) for the full 2 weeks (we think).

First off, what is the best way to travel from Sanford airport to Pop Century Resort? (It seems most airlines from the UK only fly to Sanford)

Would renting a car be worth it while staying onsite? (Pick up Sanford for possibly a week and drop off somewhere near Disney, OR rent for 2 full weeks)
    We plan to visit Busch Gardens, Seaworld and both Universals and have no other idea on how to get to them other than using a car. Although when spending the rest of the time at Disney we would plan to use the free transport.

Can you cancel the dining reservation without being charged months before the date?
    Just incase we would like to change the date or time of a booking.

Disney dining plan going to be worth it if we only book 5/6 table service meals in a 2 week vacation? (The rest of the time we would plan to just grab a quick meal somewhere)
    Meals here:
    Chef Mickeys
    Teppan Edo
    50ís Prime Time Cafť
    Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
    Jiko Ė The Cooking Place
    1900 Park Fare (Dinner)

Also, will there be an off for free dining in October or is only during the school holidays?

I canít find flights for less than £500 so is it better going for 7, 10 or 14 days?
    Here are the prices I came up with for Flights, Hotels, (Just) Disney tickets
    07 Days is £877.50pp
    10 Days is £1182pp
    14 Days is £1248pp

Do the Extra Magic Hours run all through the year?

Finally, it will be a birthday during one of the days, how do we go about getting a birthday badge? (We want to eat at Check Mickeys on this day).

Thank you,
    Ian

IanVicky

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Alot of Questions

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hello all,

So let me just apologise first for the amount of questions Iím going to be asking.
    I havenít been to WDW as an adult, but weíre planning on going for the first time in many years. There will be 2 adults only, Flying from Manchester on 12th to 26th October (Anytime in October is fine though) for the full 2 weeks (we think).
    My recommendation would to be to talk with Trickster here. He often travels from their too, I believe on Virgin Airlines. You can also find him on Twitter as TricksOswald.

First off, what is the best way to travel from Sanford airport to Pop Century Resort? (It seems most airlines from the UK only fly to Sanford)
    There are several shuttle services your travel agent could set up in advance from Sanford however most seem to fly into MCO Orlando. Shuttles and Magical Express are both available at MCO.

Would renting a car be worth it while staying onsite? (Pick up Sanford for possibly a week and drop off somewhere near Disney, OR rent for 2 full weeks)
    We plan to visit Busch Gardens, Seaworld and both Universals and have no other idea on how to get to them other than using a car. Although when spending the rest of the time at Disney we would plan to use the free transport.

Some like to drive and some like to use Disney transportation. I like to leave the driving to Disney. If I have a cocktail or two I don't want to be driving.

Can you cancel the dining reservation without being charged months before the date?
    Just incase we would like to change the date or time of a booking.
    Only certain resturant ADR's require a credit card to hold the ADR. Even those can be cancelled 24-48 hours before without cost.

Disney dining plan going to be worth it if we only book 5/6 table service meals in a 2 week vacation? (The rest of the time we would plan to just grab a quick meal somewhere)
    Meals here:
    Chef Mickeys
    Teppan Edo
    50ís Prime Time Cafť
    Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
    Jiko Ė The Cooking Place
    1900 Park Fare (Dinner)

Also, will there be an off for free dining in October or is only during the school holidays?

October generally has some stretches with free dining and also some black out dates. They are released to Europe before they are released to Americans so your travel agent should be able to tell you when these are.

I canít find flights for less than £500 so is it better going for 7, 10 or 14 days?
    Here are the prices I came up with for Flights, Hotels, (Just) Disney tickets
    07 Days is £877.50pp
    10 Days is £1182pp
    14 Days is £1248pp

I'd get a quote from Becky. Quotes are free and she might be able to bundle everything into a package for you, saving a lot.

Do the Extra Magic Hours run all through the year?

Yes they do however less of them during off season dates.

Finally, it will be a birthday during one of the days, how do we go about getting a birthday badge? (We want to eat at Check Mickeys on this day).

We got my DD's at City Hall, MK.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Ian

Thank you for the reply!

I never thought about drinking over there, thats a good call though I'll have to look into that.

As for a travel agent which ones do you mean when you mention Becky, Mouse fan travel?
    And forgive me for being really dumb but what does DD stand for? I've seen it quite alot and thought it menat Daughter but I guess not!

IanVicky

Thank you for the reply!

I never thought about drinking over there, thats a good call though I'll have to look into that.

As for a travel agent which ones do you mean when you mention Becky, Mouse fan travel?
    And forgive me for being really dumb but what does DD stand for? I've seen it quite alot and thought it menat Daughter but I guess not!
    Yep drinking is half the fun in the World Showcase.

Beci- New Partner - Welcome Mouse Fan Travel!!

For whatever reason Rich (Trickster) from your area uses Virgin Travel, but he also drives a train there so that maybe the rub. I'm sure he could give you great advice from that side of the pond.

And yes, DD Dear Daughter. I'll look for the key to the abbreviations we use.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

This list of abbreviations is from the AllEars.net sight. Also real good for menu pickings and recipes. Love that sight too.

Common Disney Abbreviations and Acronyms

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I also know that Virgin has "specials" that are sometimes greater than what you can normally get. Often Disney will have some international specials. Always good to look into those. Mouse Counselors | is another one you may want to talk to in addition to the Mouse Fan Travel. I have no idea which would be best or what they can do for you. I just see these two as being the ones most of my friends using when they use a travel agency. Someone else may have another idea.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

FYI, the list of table service locations that require a credit card guarantee has gone up recently. But you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance without penalty.

On renting a car - we usually do, but we don't usually go for as long as you. Keep in mind you are paying for every day even if you aren't using it.

If you can group your off-site visits together, you could potentially rent a car from the rental places on site - Alamo/National have rentals available right at the Dolphin hotel and the Car Care Center near the MK. Then you can rent just for a few days.

On the dining plan - are you talking about the standard Dining Plan (1TS, 1 CS, 1 snack per day)? If so, you'd be paying for a lot of TS credits on a long trip that you may not get to use. Only Jiko on your list requires two TS credits as it is "signature" dining.

What some people do is book a "split" reservation - two separate but linked reservations. Then they get the DDP with one, but not the other, and only have to pay for the plan for the nights on that reservation. The drawback is all the credits needs to be used during that particular reservation - they don't carry over.

On the birthday buttons - they often have them at the resorts, guest services, etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

i found renting from enterprise proves to be the cheapest.. we rented for 7 days and it cost around $200... might wanna keep them in mind if renting a car is a necessity... i did it but thats because the buses sometimes get on my nerves... since i rented last time i think that is the choice from now on...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Ian

Thank you all guys!

So I will check out both Mousefan Travel and Mouse Counselors and see which one works out cheapest.

Thank you for the website with all the abbreviations on, Iíll try getting my head round them all now

On renting a car, Iíll check out Enterprise, Alamo and national from the Car care centre because it might would out better for just 1 week and grouping the non Disney all together. (But $200 sounds very attractive)

So thank you all very much!!

Also, I checked the WDW website last night for the first time in afew weeks and they are currently offering a free quick service Dining plan, $150 Disney spending money and the 14 day ticket for the price of 7!
    It works out abit more expensive because I think you have to book a moderate hotel (Coronado Springs)

IanVicky

JohnO is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool Re: Alot of Questions

Hello all,

Meals here:
    Chef Mickeys
    Teppan Edo
    50ís Prime Time Cafť
    Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
    Jiko Ė The Cooking Place
    1900 Park Fare (Dinner)

Thank you,
    Ian
    Ian, why so few dining reservations? I think the dining plan is worth it if you plan on eating alot of table service meals. Here's a list of table service restaurants you should really try;
    Ohana @ the polynesian (this is a MUST!!)
    Boma @ The animal Kingdom Lodge
    Beirgarten @ Germany Pavillon in Epcot
    Crystal palace (breakfast) @ Magic Kingdom
    The Wave @ Contemporary Resort
    Le Cellier @ Canada Pavillion in Epcot
    San Angel inn @ Mexico Pavillion in Epcot
    Sanaa @ AKL
    77- Disneyland 89- Disneyland 94- WDW ASSp 95- WDW OKW 98- WDW Hol.Inn MG 99- WDW Off Prop. 06- WDW ASMov 2/8 -2/16 07- WDW Pop 2/4 - 2/14 07- WDW All Star Mus 9/11 - 9/17 08- WDW ASMov 10/27 - 10/30 08- DCL Wonder 10/30 - 11/2 09- WDW AS Mov 9/21 - 9/27 09- DCL Wonder 9/27 - 10/1 10- WDW Off Prop. 4/23- 4/25 10- DCL Magic 7ngt Estrn 10/23-10/30 10- WDW CSR 10/30-11/1 12 - POR 1/8 - 1/15 392 Miles from WDW
    I Survived the 40 Hr Live Show Oct. 1 - 2/2011
    Johnoinsc in 'The Box'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Ian, why so few dining reservations? I think the dining plan is worth it if you plan on eating alot of table service meals. Here's a list of table service restaurants you should really try;
    Ohana @ the polynesian (this is a MUST!!)
    Boma @ The animal Kingdom Lodge
    Beirgarten @ Germany Pavillon in Epcot
    Crystal palace (breakfast) @ Magic Kingdom
    The Wave @ Contemporary Resort
    Le Cellier @ Canada Pavillion in Epcot
    San Angel inn @ Mexico Pavillion in Epcot
    Sanaa @ AKL
    John, great recommendations!

And if you cannot get LeCellier reservations, which is now a signature resturant for dinner, I highly recommend both the Yachtmen right out the back of end of Epcot @ Yacht Club resort, I actually find the service and the steaks to be superior to LeCellier or Kona for dinner at the Polynesian Hotel. They have an incredible good ribeye steak and crab cakes that are excellent.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I think Kona is superior to Ohana.

Ian

Sooo many more dining reccomendations now!!! Haha, thank you!

We would just go for the quick service DDP because it would be free if we booked a moderate resort. So the table service meals we have to pay for right?

I've done some reading into the DDP, and the one that offers table service meals WOULD be fantastic, it is just way out of our price range. So I think that is why we only plna ot have 5/6 table service meals max

IanVicky

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Sooo many more dining reccomendations now!!! Haha, thank you!

We would just go for the quick service DDP because it would be free if we booked a moderate resort. So the table service meals we have to pay for right?

I've done some reading into the DDP, and the one that offers table service meals WOULD be fantastic, it is just way out of our price range. So I think that is why we only plna ot have 5/6 table service meals max
    Yes, if you get the QSDP, if you want table service meals those will be out of pocket expenses.

I believe that with past offers you can upgrade the free QSDP to the regular DDP for the cost difference. Not sure about current offers (I don't see any free dining currently available on the web page to know for sure).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Ian

Here are all the price differences after checking that deal with 3 different hotel prices...

Value Resorts (Pop)
    Flights, hotel, tickets (no dining plan), $150 spending money
    £1267pp

Moderate Resort (Coronado Springs)
    Flights, hotel, tickets, QSDDP, $150 spending money
    £1678pp

Deluxe Resort (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
    Flights, hotel, tickets, Normal DDP, $150 spending money
    £2517pp

And here is a print screen of the offer I was using: http://i.imgur.com/QXPMJ.png

I think the best option would be for the moderate resort, QSDDP, and 5 or 6 table service meals throughout the stay, does that sound about right?

IanVicky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast