Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Best deal for 5 people in the Vacation Planning forums; We wanting to brave matters and take 3 children with us on our next adventure (ages 13 and 15 and 15). We need to be very cost conscious (going end ...
    MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Best deal for 5 people

We wanting to brave matters and take 3 children with us on our next adventure (ages 13 and 15 and 15). We need to be very cost conscious (going end July 2013) but some hotels do not accommodate 5 people and Im unsure about going down the villa route as I have not done it before and the flights could end up costing a fortune... so asking for any advice you could give!

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

flutter is offline Moderator

Re: Best deal for 5 people

I would recommend a Ft Wilderness cabin, we stayed there our first trip with 3 kids, the bedroom had a double bed plus bunkbed that the kids slept in and we slept on the murphy bed in the living room. Also then you have a kitchen if you want to have meals there, even if it is just breakfast it saves money. If you are not renting a car you can always have a grocery delivery, or if you use a twoncar service have them stop for groceries. Trails end buffet is really good deal too for meals. Airfare I always find Southwest to be the cheapest for me....not sure where you are coming from maybe driving would be cheaper....probably would be for me in Sept but driving with a 2 year old from MA doesn't sound appealing too me. Another thought might be 2 rooms at a value resort if kids could be trusted or if you were planning one adult in each room....we are doing 2 rooms at Pop but we are going with my 22 yr old and her 2 yr old so different than with teens

flutter is offline Moderator

just noticed you are from UK , nevermind the southwest or driving comments

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Port Orleans Riverside can sleep 5 in their Alligator Bayou Section and they are only a moderate resort, but you may feel a bit cramped in there. Disney's Art of Animation Resort will also be open by then, which is supposed to be the new "value" resort for larger families and can accomodate 6.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    just noticed you are from UK , nevermind the southwest or driving comments
    Ft Wilderness is a possible as with the transport links it would save hiring a car. However I am currently thinking villa... just due to the cost and space we would have... Thanks :-) But if anyone can recommend a villa for 5 I would be grateful

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Aside from the villas, there are also the Family Suites currently at the All-Star Music Resort, plus the new Art of Animation Resort will be mostly family suites, which fit 6 people. However, their rack price appears to be double a standard room (which sleeps 4), and so far the prices for the AoA resort seem to be inflated, possibly because it is the newest resort and in demand.

A cheaper route might be renting points for a villa instead of paying cash through Disney. However, it can be a complicated and dangerous process. There are places like David's Vacation Club Rentals where he acts as a broker for safety. Only hear good things about him.

Only some of the newer 1BR villas can accommodate 5 (Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower - I think I've heard that some others may have been changed but not sure) - most only handle 4, so you'd have to go to a 2BR at some locations for even more. But you get a full kitchen, which you don't in the family suites.

And of course there are off-site options.
    Last edited by doconeill; 01-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

zark72 is offline A-Ticket holder

Ah yes, the family of 5... just like us. Except we have much younger children (5, 6, and 8). I've been asking and investigating alternatives to the deluxe accommodations that typically are the on site choice. Unfortunately I haven't found much beyond that. There is the Port Orleans Riverside (which we are trying in March), and the All Star Music but that's about it until the Art of Animation opens. Some suggest getting two adjoining rooms at a value, which may be a nice option for 3 teenagers, but it's not for us at this time and ages.
    Of the deluxe resorts, I can tell you from our experience at Polynesian, Contemporary and Beach Club that the Polynesian and Contemporary were the tops for space and sleeping. The fold outs at those 2 were very much like a real bed (although a bit smaller than a traditional twin). The Beach Club was more like a couch and not nearly as nice - plus the room was a bit smaller. Looking forward to hearing more about your findings!

VGL_Lynx is offline B-Ticket Holder

My family of 5 have been fixtures at Ft. Wilderness for the last few trips (3). This year we are looking at a 10 day stay, with 4-5 at WDW and the rest in the Orlando/Florida area. When we ran the tickets only numbers, we had to pass on staying on property. We're going through VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) and are finding some great rates for some great places.

We initially looked at a DVC rental, but the price just skewed too high. ($12 per point, and with a family of five you are looking at minimum of 250-300 pt. properties.) However, the DVC rental lets you have Extra Magic Hours and you can add meal plan as well.

prinny27 is offline A-Ticket holder

If you're thinking Villas, Old Key West will sleep 5 in a one bedroom, which can help keep costs down. And since it's the first DVC resort, it's bigger than the rest, which gives a bit more space. It usually prices out less than the other DVC resorts as well. Some of the one bedrooms at Animal Kingdom Villas will sleep five as well.
    Heather Coursen
    HeatherC@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We have 5 going on our trip this year. We have decided, for the first time, to stay off property.
    We've rented a 3 bedroom 3 bath condo from All Star Vacation Homes. A little worried how we're gonna feel about not being immersed in the magic but looking forward to the extra space.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Off property!

disneyfire is offline A-Ticket holder

each day many many folks have 5 people stay in a room...no issues. We have done it many times.
    dont let the rule that isnt enforced stop you.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfire View Post
    each day many many folks have 5 people stay in a room...no issues. We have done it many times.
    dont let the rule that isnt enforced stop you.
    Not sure what you mean by "not enforced". Disney will not let you book a room with a maximum occupancy of 4 with 5 people. If you choose to try and sneak a fifth in, that's up to you - but if Disney finds out, you could not only be charged for the additional person, but also fined as I believe it is a violation of fire codes, and Disney can choose to kick you out and ban you from property as well if the choose.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'd look at renting DVC points and stay at a studio that holds 5 people. AS long as two of the teenagers could share a bed/pullout couch and the other a pullout chair, you're good.

disneyfire is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "not enforced". Disney will not let you book a room with a maximum occupancy of 4 with 5 people. If you choose to try and sneak a fifth in, that's up to you - but if Disney finds out, you could not only be charged for the additional person, but also fined as I believe it is a violation of fire codes, and Disney can choose to kick you out and ban you from property as well if the choose.
    My point is that. Everyday hundreds of folks at each resort have more than 4 in a room. It is not enforceable.
    I could visit your room when you had 4 in it stay as late as I want to...Disney doesn't know when a "visitor" leaves of comes...in any case, no one will know nor care if a family of 5 has an extra person say sleeping on floor on an air mattress. It happens every single day. Many times over. Always has always will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast