Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Disneymoon Advice Needed: Tickets, Dining Plan, and More! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello all, Long-time forum stalker, first time poster! So I am in need of some advice for an upcoming trip. My husband and I would like to have a Disneymoon ...
    goblue is offline A-Ticket holder

Disneymoon Advice Needed: Tickets, Dining Plan, and More!

Hello all,
    Long-time forum stalker, first time poster!

So I am in need of some advice for an upcoming trip. My husband and I would like to have a Disneymoon (we were married in August) and a celebration trip after our candidacy exams for grad school. He has only been to Epcot once and I haven't been to WDW for about 5 years, and I am realizing that a LOT has changed! Here are specifics so far:
    - May 31st-June 4th (4 nights, 5 days in the parks)
    - Value Resort

That's all we know right now! We have 2 main areas that we are debating about.
    1) Tickets. We would like park hoppers for 5-days. The catch is that we will also be going in January 2013 for my first runDisney event with our best friends for 4 or 5 days. We are wondering if it would make sense to get a 10-day park hopper with no expiration versus an Annual Pass (the standard, cheaper one)
    2) Dining. Because it is my husband's first "real" trip to WDW and our Disneymoon, we would like to go to some nice Table Service restaurants (Boma, maybe California Grill, Character Dining). Our debate is whether to pay out of pocket, get the Dining Plan (standard, not delux or quick service) OR, if we were to get an Annual Pass do the Tables in Wonderland card. As a couple, would we find the Dining Plan too restrictive or too much food?

Lots of variables here! Any input on anything would be much appreciated, things certainly have changed in the past few years (and food has gotten EXPENSIVE!).

Thank you very much!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Disneymoon Advice Needed: Tickets, Dining Plan, and More!

Hello and welcome. There is no one right or wrong answer to your questions and it is a matter of crunching the numbers for your specific case. If you look at the menus on AllEars.net, you'll get an idea of prices at the restaurants you want to eat. You can estimate your meal cost and see if pay as you go, dining plan, or tables in wonderland card (AP) works best for you. The DDP may only give you an advantage at one or two restaurants, but not overall on your trip.

Ticket prices typically increase in August, so the 10 day PH , non-expiration will work to your favor. If one of you buys an AP, then you can purchase the TiW card for meals and other AP discounts. It's really a matter of planning your trip and crunching the numbers.

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

I would say buy the first set of tickets as part of your package and then upgrade to annual passes when you get there. This allows you to get any discounts currently available to regular customers on packages and to break the payment of your annual pass into two payments. I'd also say the season pass over the no expiration because the annual pass allows for additional discounts on room. For instance, we stayed at Yacht Club during marathon weekend for a super low rate because of our passes. You also get discounts at stores all over Disney, which is a perk if you are planning on doing some buying while there.
    From personal experience, the dining plan more than pays for itself, especially if you plan on eating at sit-downs at least once per day. I would also consider a travel planner; they often can find you the best deals and help with meal planning. Typically their fees come from Disney, not you, so you pay the same as you would if you book the package yourself.
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

Hi Goblue --
    It sounds like you two have a lot to celebrate!!

An Annual Pass is a great thing to have if you think you will be be visiting the theme parks more than 10 days in a given year. Between the resort room discounts, merchandise discounts and even discounts on some dining - it can really save you some money in the long run.

The Tables In Wonderland Card is really fantastic if you think that you will be doing a lot of the more expensive table service restaurants. A great way to decide if it will work for you is to make up your dining reservation list, and then take a look a the menus and "guestamate" what your meals would cost - you can then see if making the investment on the Tables In Wonderland card is worth your while. Remember: it is good for a year as well!

When booking a vacation package - keep in mind that until the final payment is made you can change the components of your trip without any change fees. So - you can book now and then decide if a dining plan or the Tables in Wonderland card is the way to go for you two.

And be on the lookout for Pin Codes - if you get one either in the mail or online, it can get you some fantastic savings as well!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

goblue is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi All,
    Thanks for the tips! I ended up getting in touch with a travel agent (thank you for the advice) and then pricing out every possible option, I think we're going to go with the Annual Passes. It was actually over $100 cheaper and we know we will save a bunch on merchandise discounts.

disneyrunrchick I didn't realize that the AP rates were over marathon weekend! That's an even better incentive to get one!

And, pardon my ignorance, but what is a Pin Code?

We also decided to get the Dining Plan. Too many time we look at the prices on the menu and then the food. It will be nice to celebrate without worrying about the bill every time.

Thank you very much! I'm so glad to be part of such a warm community!

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

Pin codes are the discounts they mail out to only special customers; no one really knows what the formula is, but random former or future Disney guests will get either a postcard type advertisement or an e-mail with a discounted code that they can use. However, only that person can use it, so they aren't something people could share on websites. They are frequently for free dining, bonus days, or percentage discounts.

And, yes, the marathon weekend rate was ridiculously cheap with the AP discount. Rooms are already at their lowest rates during that time of year, so taking another 35% off made it about the same price to stay at a deluxe as we are used to paying for a moderate. It was great!

Glad the travel agent advice helped! I know what a help mine is; couldn't imagine planning a trip without her!

Hope you have a good trip and congratulations!!!!
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!