Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Driving to Disney.... in the Vacation Planning forums; Ok for our trip in May we will be driving down from the north east corner of CT.. A 22 hour drive. No children will be with us just four ...
    emilyrose0507 is offline A-Ticket holder

Driving to Disney....

Ok for our trip in May we will be driving down from the north east corner of CT.. A 22 hour drive. No children will be with us just four adults. Two that hate flying so that is why were driving. My question for you is what is the best way of dealing with the cost of gas? We have figured high and amount that we think we might need and I have received that amount from two of the four and I would like ideas on how to make most out of the money? What is the best ideas, or cards to use to buy the gas... I have no clue what cards give the best cash back or what not on gas,so any help would be great .. Thanks....

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Re: Driving to Disney....

We have a local service station company that allows you to rack up points for purchases and you can use those points to get free items such as gift cards. The points usually take a while to accumulate so I save them up between trips. I cashed out enough points on our last trip that I had a $100 gas card which fueled us from Ohio through Tennessee. Other then that we just save money and budget high. I also make sure the car is road ready. I change the spark plugs, fuel filter and make certain the tires are properly inflated. I call it the 2008 Candidate Obama travel plan...Sorry couldn't resist!

In the future you could check out banks and see what kind of perks they offer. My parents bank at Chase and they have an account that gives rewards for using your debit cards for purchases and doing online banking. They can cash those reward points in for gift cards.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

we drive down every year for the past 10 years, make sure you fill up in new jersey off i95 they have the cheapest gas out of all the states and theres a place called Smiths Chevron in South Carolina which is cheap as well . Goodluck
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by emilyrose0507 View Post
    Ok for our trip in May we will be driving down from the north east corner of CT.. A 22 hour drive. No children will be with us just four adults. Two that hate flying so that is why were driving. My question for you is what is the best way of dealing with the cost of gas? We have figured high and amount that we think we might need and I have received that amount from two of the four and I would like ideas on how to make most out of the money? What is the best ideas, or cards to use to buy the gas... I have no clue what cards give the best cash back or what not on gas,so any help would be great .. Thanks....
    Most cards these days (I know for sure Chase and Discover) have rotating categories of purchases that receive extra cash back. EG both Discover and Chase cards are offering 5% back on gas through the end of March, then it will be on to something else.

Another option - I don't know if they do this in CT, but in FL you can buy gas and other gift cards at places like Walgreens and Publix (a supermarket chain down here). So if gas isn't getting 5% but drug stores are, buy gas cards at a drug store. If supermarkets are getting 5%, see if you can get gas cards at a supermarket.

Another tip, and I'm sure you already know this, but all other things being equal, ANY vehicle will get better gas mileage at a steady speed than it will if you're speeding up and slowing down a lot. Obviously you don't have very much control over that in I-95 during the day. However I've found that when I do the drive overnight, I not only get much better gas mileage but also make much better time.

One of the most frustrating things is that gas prices can vary by quite a bit along the route as well. There's this one Pilot gas station somewhere in South Carolina, that's usually considerably cheaper than anywhere for miles either way, and I always miss it because their tall sign that shows the price is obscured until after you pass the exit you'd have to take to get there! I know there are smart phone apps that can tell you gas prices in a given area, but I haven't had a smart phone for very long and haven't had a chance to try it on a trip. But it seems to me that you could save (or lose) a fair amount of money depending on how close you get to paying the optimum price for gas.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Wish I had the patience to drive down. Might happen one day if I can't get good airfare. I work at the airport I fly out of so it's also very convenient.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Some tips for saving gas, slow down if possible.
    Don't be afraid to use a truck stop.
    Go a mile or two off the exit and find cheaper gas.
    I use the POYNT apllication on my blackberry and it shows gas prices.
    Make sure you have enough gas while on the Florida turnpike, the servic plaza is very expensive.
    Try not to fill up in Orlando.
    Keep in mind that you are still saving money over flying.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Try not to get gas near Disney, that's for sure. I saw one station behind our hotel (a Mobil) that was at $4.89!
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

As soon as I left the state of Florida into Georgia, gas dropped about twentyfive cents a gallon.

MDDisneyFans is offline A-Ticket holder

We live in Florida and believe it or not the gas in Orlando is cheaper than the area we are from! Also, avoid filling up in NC if possible, they have very expensive gas.

KacieG is offline D-Ticket Holder

GasBuddy is a great app for showing gas prices around you. I also agree with the post about going a mile or so off of the highway. There can sometimes be a huge difference. I know places like Shell tend to have higher prices no matter what.

DCP - Attractions - Disney Quest - Aug. 10th, 2011 - Jan. 6th, 2012
    Disney Store Mall of America - June 17th, 2012 - Present
    (Moving to Florida to become a permanent WDW Cast Member in Jan. 2015!)