Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss I'm going back, BUT... in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm going back to Disney World Here is the thing - I've gone to Disney World a billion times, but this time I'm going with extended family that have never ...
    OldKeyWestgirl is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm going back, BUT...

I'm going back to Disney World

Here is the thing - I've gone to Disney World a billion times, but this time I'm going with extended family that have never been. HOLY COW! I want to make sure they never forget this experience. I've already told them to stay on property, and to get the dinning plan. So - CHECK - and CHECK! They are staying at Caribbean Beach , while my family will be at - Old Key West. Come on? Did you REALLY think I would stay anywhere else?!

I'm eating at Kona Cafe, Crystal Palace, Le Celier, and Via Napoli. I believe we have some ADR's that match. My question is - HOW DO I PLUS THEIR TRIP!? I want there to be something special that we do, but I don't know what. We have a large group:

My Family: Me (26 yikes - when did this happen!?), my sister (23, good lord), mom ( Still 21), and Dad (65).

My Cousins #1
    Cousin (30), his wife (30), girl (8), boy (2)

My Cousin # 2
    Cousin (31), her husband (31), girl (10), girl (2)

My Cousin # 3
    Cousin (26), fiance (30), girl (3), boy (1.5)

Aunt & Uncle

GREAT SCOTT! This is a lot of people. All cousins except for Cousin Family # 2 have never been before. So, I need some suggestions people! I was thinking maybe a wishes dessert party, firework cruise, or maybe having their rooms set up with some extra magic prior to checking in.

What do you think?

Thanks!

-Julie

Believing in yourself never goes out of style

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: I'm going back, BUT...

One thing... don't overdo it. I know you're excited, but if these people have never been, then they aren't mega fans and don't need to see every single thing. You've got older folks and really young kids. Don't try to pack in too much every day. There is a better chance that they'll all hate you by the end of the trip, so don't make it something they won't forget for the wrong reasons.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm with Mike on this one. A first visit will likely be just as special as any thing else you could tack on to the experience. There is already way too much to take in as it is. Let them do their own thing and allow them to discover as much as they can. That, in and of itself, can be overwhelming enough.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

If you wanted to do a dessert party to treat them that would be a nice way of bringing you all together, yet a lot of money not to really have any conversation time. We have done "Hoop dee" together as a big group of multiple generations. That worked well. We met ahead of time and had some Ft. Wilderness time before, like an hour I believe.

I think the best thing the group could do for the young couples is to take the kids off their hands for an evening and let them explore an area of Disney as a couples vs parents. You could also create a cheat sheet for the families of what not to miss for each of the parks and the things they could skip if time is getting short.

Most helpful would be attractions for the family with a 3 yr old and 1.5 year old in each park. The most difficult park for us was the Studio's with tiny kids. I did the parks every year with tiny kids and that type of touring needs to be dedicated to the tiny and their mood of the day. While our vacations were long, usually 2 weeks, we took our direction from their temperament. If they were fading we left, swam, napped or just let them play in the grass at the hotel. Sometimes we'd return to the parks later, other days not. I'd be very careful not to over schedule that cousins family it could be disastrous.

I think any form of commando park touring would be bad. Plus half the fun of Disney with children is the family discovering things and creating their own favorite things.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

In other forums I read some of our posters said they leave their cell phones in the room or the car. This would be a great time to carry them with you, at least one for each family, but make sure they are on vibrate. Good luck and have a blast, and more than likely they will blame you for getting them hooked.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I disagree. There is never a good time to carry cell phones in the parks.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Mine's with me all the time, solo trip or otherwise. Somehow my wife and I always seem to get seperated, even if it's on a quick bathroom break.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Been there between 55-60 times in my lifetime. Never once carried a phone with me.

Maybe I should change my tag line to "Old school curmudgeon".

And...done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Been there between 55-60 times in my lifetime. Never once carried a phone with me.

Maybe I should change my tag line to "Old school curmudgeon".
    Giggle. I'm kinda with SN on this one. My DH & DS would often hit ESPN, eat catch part of game. Or the kids would take off and do some rides DH and I were getting to old to ride multiple times. Texting is such a simply way to gather us all together again. No more hanging at a predetermined landmark, being clueless as to what the hold up was. Vibrate a must. I'll take the texting over our walkie talkies of yesteryear.

I remember a few years back, my DS getting off work and trying to find us during the Osborne Lights in the middle of the show. He had come in from the employee back entrance. No way would he have found us without a text.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

I wish you folks would have been alive back in the 70's and 80's and seen how us crusty old folks did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I wish you folks would have been alive back in the 70's and 80's and seen how us crusty old folks did it.
    Funny. And I opened WDW as a kid and Disneyland before that. I made my first trip to Disneyland at 18 months old. I'd say I've only carried a phone for the past 10 years. I'd rather carry the phone that create meet up times or find the one that wandered off while the ladies had to stand through the long lines of the facilities. Phones and texting ended all that wasted time and aggravation. A simple text, done. Then again I am not one to ever talk, etc. on my cell while in the parks, I don't communicate with the outside world in the parks and rarely ever while on vacation so it is just a tool to hunt and gather my family.

I rarely use my cell phone in the "real world", so that may have something to do with it.

Sometimes my boss will track me down and say "why didn't you return my calls?" At that point I usually have to take a moment to remember where my phone even is. Sometimes in my car, sometimes at my house, occasionally in my pocket but dead as a door nail because I hadn't charged it for a week.

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

OKWGirl, I would definitely recommend the mid-day break, if you're going when it's warm. That will make the trip, especially with the little ones, so much more enjoyable. Spending the hottest part of the day at your resort pool, in my opinion, lets you recharge the batteries, so to speak. Otherwise, if it's a new trip for most of the family members, just going at their pace is important, and I would say that just seeing the fireworks shows at the parks it important.

OldKeyWestgirl is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks everyone!

Believing in yourself never goes out of style