Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Rental Cars in the Vacation Planning forums; We have to rent a car this year. There are 5 of us so we'll need a large car. Anyone have any tips for getting a good deal on a ...
    Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Rental Cars

We have to rent a car this year. There are 5 of us so we'll need a large car. Anyone have any tips for getting a good deal on a car? I have to rent it from MCO. Look's like the bast deal I can find is about $266 week. That sound about right?
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Rental Cars

I rent a car every time I go. There are some great discounts out there. There was one smaller company that I can't think of right now, and they were even cheaper than any deals I had found. $266 a week sounds good, but I think you can do better. Sign up for Alamo's Insider program, or whatever they're calling it this week, and see if you can get deals through them. The problem with Alamo is that sometimes the deal you get in your inbox doesn't seem to be on their website, and when you call they deny all knowledge of it. But you can also search out discount codes (20% off a weekly rate, free upgrade, etc... whatever they're running now) and take advantage of those codes. Plus, and it sounds like you've already done this, but hit a website like Cheap Air (or something similar) and compare rates. I tried doing it for you just now but forgot that I needed to know which dates you are travelling. Time of the year can raise prices, based on demand.

MCO is usually the best deal on a car, but sometimes you can get the same rate at the WDW car care center. So if you're one of those families that insists on riding that horrible Magical Express, you can still do that, and then get your car later on once you get to the parks. IF that is really a factor. But honestly, just get the car early and be on your own time.

A few important points to remember:

GPS : If you have a portable GPS at home, bring it. If your phone is awesome with directions, great. This way you can cut the expense of renting the GPS through your car company.

GAS: Either the day before you leave, or even while sitting in the airport, search for gas prices in the Kissimmee area. Your car company will offer to fill your car upon your return, but it's at their own rate, which is usually more expensive than what you can find on your own.

INSURANCE: Even with your $266 rate, it might include tax, but NOT insurance, which can jack the price of the rental considerably. Check with your own auto insurance and see if you are 100% covered for auto rentals, including out-of-state, and also see if it covers the other car in the accident, property, etc. No need to buy their insurance if you have your own, though sometimes supplimental might be good. The last time I rented, they told me the price of insurance was $22 a day (I was only paying $21 a day for the car!), even though the prior year I was paying $11 a day. The guy at the counter tried to s(rew me there because they know they are making a bundle on insurance that very few people ever use. I was hit while my car was parked at an arena and I had to go through a nightmare of calls to get it resolved once. Fortunately, my Visa card ALSO offered coverage (this was before I realized that my private insurance covered rentals). So check with your credit card company to find out what they offer, if anything, by way of rental insurance. You can honestly save yourself over $200 if you do it that way. Kinda makes you understand why rental companies push their insurance. $200 times 100 families a day...

Again, I rent a car on every visit, so if there's anything you want to ask, PM me. Glad to help you out.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Great advise. We're staying in an All Star Rental condo in Reunion, so I'm sure I can find a gas station near by. I'm going to be there 8/1 - 8/8 so I was wondering if that time of year will be hard to find any great deal. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Shouldn't be too difficult to find "deals" through the year, although remember that the deal is based on current pricing. Alamo also sends me emails on last minute deals, and I'm sure other companys offer those, too. Just a matter of whether you want to wait that close to your trip or not. Since you're not staying on property, I would just go with MCO. The price is usually better and it's definitely more convenient for you.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

That's a good rpice for MCO.