Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Do low crowds mean lots of attraction closures? in the Vacation Planning forums; Planning our 2013 Disney vacation and I want to go during the value season. I was thinking either January-February or September. Obviously I can't book anything yet since the 2013 ...
    Artemis908 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Do low crowds mean lots of attraction closures?

Planning our 2013 Disney vacation and I want to go during the value season. I was thinking either January-February or September. Obviously I can't book anything yet since the 2013 prices aren't out, but can anyone tell me what their experience is with off-season? Are there typically a lot of ride closures?

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Re: Do low crowds mean lots of attraction closures?

Almost all of my Disney trips have been during value season and I love it. You're going to find some attraction closures no matter what time of the year you go, something is always getting refurbed. I have always been lucky and haven't visited when there are major attractions down for refurb, but I can understand why they would schedule them for the value times of the year. And in my opinion, I don't think one specific time of the year experiences more ride closures than others, I think Disney does a pretty good job of evenly scheduling their refurbs. The low crowds and great weather in Jan-Feb & Sept make them perfect times to visit. I've been during both of those times of the year, September is personally my favorite. Parks were empty and decorated in their fall decor, plus you have Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party going on, if you choose to see it.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I think they try an avoid more than a couple closures per park, at least at the ones with more attractions.

For Jan-Feb, you'll probably find that Splash Mountain will be closed - they usually pick those months for maintenance since less people are willing to get wet. Also, one of the water parks will often be closed (there is a typical pattern of which one when, but I don't remember it at the moment).

September is less certain I think.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Artemis908 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I like September, but I don't know how long I can wait! We just went on vacation last week :P so I don't want to plan something else too soon, but September 2013 just seems so far away!!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

September is an awesome time to come to Orlando. The weather is beginning to cool, at bit anyway, and US kids are back in school. There are always closures; if not for refurbishing then just a kink in the system or even weather. Come when if suits your schedule and enjoy as much as you can.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My son was saying crowds were so low last week that at Epcot they did not have to use the trams in the parking lot two days. Expecting the same for at least two days this week also.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!

We love going in October - Still warm and sunny, lower crowds and als MNSSHP (followed by MVMCP in November)!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

I also love going in the fall. Its cool out and my favorite time of the year is Halloween. Also i have to see the Headless Horseman at MNSSHP.
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Quote Originally Posted by froland_04-08 View Post
    I also love going in the fall. Its cool out and my favorite time of the year is Halloween. Also i have to see the Headless Horseman at MNSSHP.
    Headless missed several MNSSHP's this year. He and horse went down on a turn this fall.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

I will be going to WDW this fall
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

4Shoemakers is offline A-Ticket holder

My wife and I will be going (sans boys) for our first time by ourselves the first week of October. Staying at PO Riverside, we're super-excited and it seems SOOO far away. We were there last November with the boys and the crowds were just the right level however it was the last week Testtrack was down and New Fantasyland was just about to have it's grand opening. So we have a lot to look forward to! Would love to hear what others think might be in refurb or maybe what to go to while the crowds are low.
    1st - Paul The Detective; 2nd - Sarah The Princess; 3rd - David The miracle; 4th - Matthew The dreamer

Ill be staying a few days at POR Riverside the 3rd week in october!! Its an amazing resort!

POR is my home away from home. It is by far the bang for the buck too. The lounge is a hoot, don't miss it.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

We stayed there for a few days during a split stay...it was a nice resort, plus we had one of the closes rooms to the main building, so the refillable mugs got a workout
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

The future DW wants to have a room with a view of the river. Plus the watercraft transportation is going to be really nice!