Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Getting my cousins ready for there first WDW experience! in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm so excited to say I am helping my cousins with little tips, tricks, and ino for their first trip to WDW! They were more than a little surprised when ...
    GroovyArtMomma is offline C-Ticket Holder

Getting my cousins ready for there first WDW experience!

I'm so excited to say I am helping my cousins with little tips, tricks, and ino for their first trip to WDW!
    They were more than a little surprised when they asked what I knew & I went into full Magical Mode!!!
    They have two children (5 & 9) and they are not only ALL going for the first time, they're having a Magical Gathering with other family members!!! So naturally, this board and Mr. Lou Mongrllo were my first suggestions! Uh-Oh, Lunch is over, I'll keep you guys posted!
    "One Mouse, One World"

Re: Getting my cousins ready for there first WDW experience!

Quote Originally Posted by GroovyArtMomma View Post
    I'm so excited to say I am helping my cousins with little tips, tricks, and ino for their first trip to WDW!
    They were more than a little surprised when they asked what I knew & I went into full Magical Mode!!!
    They have two children (5 & 9) and they are not only ALL going for the first time, they're having a Magical Gathering with other family members!!! So naturally, this board and Mr. Lou Mongrllo were my first suggestions! Uh-Oh, Lunch is over, I'll keep you guys posted!
    Good lord at the typos! That's what happens when you're excited and typing on an Ipad!
    I sent them a detailed email late night with websites, little tips and favorite things of my own.
    They'll be there in November---right after Thanksgiving and leaving on December 1. If you guys think of any things you would suggest for first timers, please let us know....
    "One Mouse, One World"

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

My suggestion? Don't tell them much of anything. Let them discover things on their own. That's all part of the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    My suggestion? Don't tell them much of anything. Let them discover things on their own. That's all part of the magic.
    I think we will all agree that WDW can be overwhelming, especially for first timers, or we wouldn't have websites with vacation tips and planning. I want to help them along their journey, and they did ask for information. There's PLENTY of Magic in the World... I'm sure they will make wonderful discoveries on their own.

Thank you for your input.
    "One Mouse, One World"

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Cool. I'mk just wired differently. When I go someplace new I don't like having some grand game plan. I like to discover things naturally and let the plan create itself organically. The same would apply to WDW that would apply to going almost anywhere on vacation. Do some general research online, and don't even attempt to do everything once you get there.

For me, the only "must do" there is to relax and enjoy it. You're on vacation for goodness sake. If you put together this grand plan chances are you're going to be so uptight about getting it all in, you'll forget to actually have fun.

And to be perfectly honest, I believe the last person to give them advice is a WDW veteran. The reason I say that is because we're more apt to overwhelm them with TMI than the World itself is capable of. I usually just give general answers.

One rule of thumb I always try to abide by is: you want it to be their experience. Not yours.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 06-26-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Agreed, a WDW veteran can do too much.

We're mainly interested in options for them for dealing with their young children. Such as bathrooms that are less busy, quick service experiences, practical things that need to be attended to. We're trying to minimize frustration for the young kids and moms that have to care for them. I will probably suggest The Unofficial Guide w/ Kids if they ask about guidebooks.

I always use a loose game plan when I go somewhere. It's never a regimented one. I have a general idea of what I want--but are open to change as the day goes.

Our differences are what keeps the world interesting. My Mother always told me if we were all the same--the world would be a pretty boring place. Kudos on your paths of discovery! I hope your next vacay brings you wonderful surprises!
    "One Mouse, One World"

Definitely second the idea of getting Mr. Foster's book.

And, unless things have changed the last couple of years, the least busiest bathrooms are still the ones in the old Skyway building in Tomorrowland. Those and the ones in that breezeway between Adventure and Frontier.

As for counter service, if they're in the MK my very first suggestion would be to either get to Pecos Bill's early, or my favorite option would be to jump on the monorail and hit Contempo Cafe. Much better fare there for all ages, IMO. And a wonderful environment that really cannot be experienced anywhere else.

Groovy! Thank you for the information.
    "One Mouse, One World"