Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Taking a 2 year old in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone, This december is my DD birthday, she will be turning 2. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about going on a trip to WDW with a ...
    Madhatter is offline A-Ticket holder

Taking a 2 year old

Hi everyone,
    This december is my DD birthday, she will be turning 2. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about going on a trip to WDW with a 2 year old. Also, what is the best place for her birthday dinner? I am guessing a character meal, but I have never been to one. Yes, I know I have been deprived as a child Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    We are all mad here. I am mad. You're mad

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Hi, Madhatter, and to DWT!

Taking a 2-year-old to Disney World is a great adventure. I'll be taking my DS this August when he is 2 1/2 - it will be his 3rd trip. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

Tips
    - first, don't even think you're going to do it all and see everything. Pick a few "must-do" attractions in each park that you'll visit, and allow a lot of time and expect changes of plan. You will all have a much better time if you go at her pace.

- bring your own stroller, as they are much more comfortable than the ones you rent in the parks.
    Even if she is good about holding your hand while walking, with the crowds it is much safer for little ones to ride.

- make sure she has identification on her, either in her clothing or shoes, with your cell phone and hotel in it, in case God forbid you get separated. I like the Who's Shoes? ID kit, available at www.whosshoesid.com. Despite being grammatically incorrect, they are a very clever and simple way of making sure you can be reached if your child is lost.

- there are more great hints and tips under "Planning" on www.allearsnet.com

As for a birthday dinner, a character meal can be a lot of fun. The Crystal Palace meal with characters from Winnie the Pooh is a sweet setting for a little girl's birthday if she likes Pooh & friends. If you don't have them already, try to get the Disney Fun Songs videos (Campout at Walt Disney World and Beach Party at Walt Disney World in particular). They star the costumed characters and some cute kids, and are a good way to get young children familiar with how the characters look in the parks. Even still, some toddlers are terrified by some or all characters, so try to meet a few before going to the birthday dinner, while you still have time to change your reservation if she isn't happy with large furry friends.

My daughter and my son both were pretty good with most characters, but Goofy is so tall both kids were frightened (DD for years, DS for just a few minutes - you never know!). Unfortunately, Goofy is at a lot of character meals.

Hope this helps a little!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Welcome!

I love the old WDW commercial where "big" brother is preparing "little" brother for their upcoming trip and tell him "Goofy is so big, he could probably beat up Dad!"

That isn't my FAVORITE commercial, but there is a topic for another thread.
    They call me "Nana"

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I believe you can go by Guest Relations and get a pin staying it's her birthday. That way CM's can give her some special attention.

Thanks for all the suggestions they really help. Also thanks for the warm welcome, I have been reading the posts for some time now, just never posted, you seem like a nice and fun group of people.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    We ARE nice, we ARE fun, but we are also a little CRAZY!
    They call me "Nana"

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    a "little" crazy?!? That is an understatement!!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    We ARE nice, we ARE fun, but we are also a little CRAZY!
    speak for your self.

I am not crazy! yes I am . no I'm not. yes I am....
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Exactly what is the definition of "crazy?" And whose definition is it?

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    My only advice is to remember to hold her or let her ride on your shoulders as much as possible. I found this out by tieing our 2 years shoes. The view you get from down there is not that magical even in WDW. If they are on your shoulders on in your arms they can see most of what you can. And they remember Mickey and all his friends being only as big as on tv, so when a full grown one shows up it takes some time for them to adjust.
    With all that said my 2 year old loved it and still looks at her pics from the trip and the video. So sprinkle the pixie dust and have fun

Just curious, what rides did you 2 year old like the best?

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Welcome to the boards, we are crazy, but I would rather be crazy than boring!!!
    Wow, that is something taking a 2 year old to the park. Just remember, breaks are a good thing!!! If you are staying on site, it is a simple bus, ferry or monorail ride back to your room for a nap or a dip in the pool.
    They have great baby care centers in each of the parks - I hear that they are great and may help make your stay a little easier!
    HAVE FUN!!

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Our 2 yearold loved evrything she could ride on. Although TGMR scared her alittle and she slept all the way through the HM ( should have take that as a sign she was going to have no fear). every thing else was a blast for her. Each child is different though and you will have to kind of feel your way through the rides. Also remember about the baby pass option for those rides you want to ride but she can't. Have a great time while you are there. Oh dont forget to get her .

kmzairdetail is offline B-Ticket Holder
    If your 2 yr old hasn't gotten their final molars yet.....BEWARE!!! Zach got his last trip (Dec 04) and he was a bear at times. Just be prepared to sooth her and make all you plans flexible. It'll be fine. They do have chewable Tylenol at the child care station in MK. Have fun!!!! Zach loved it and still talks about it.
    Thanks Bob!!!!!!! LV Tour 2005

Disneyfam is offline A-Ticket holder
    Taking a two-year-old to the park is great! last year i took my 18-month-old to disneyland. he loved it and still talks about it on a regular basis. we are planning another trip this december to WDW and I can't wait. A couple of things we discovered:

1. get a child harness (a.k.a. a leash) I know no one likes to admit that their kids needs a leash. I can't tell you how many people i know ridiculed me and said they couldn't believe i was treating my son like a dog. Truth is, I love my dog, I don't want him to get lost. Even more so, I love my son. I wouldn't want to take the chance of him darting off. If you go at a busy time there are so many people and little ones can dart between legs or around a corner before you can even notice. so go to toy r us or babies r us and pick up a child harness. they are life savers, and you don't have to worry about wear your child is at every second.

2. if your kid is anything like my kid then meal time may be an issue. my son was so excited to go-go-go that he hardly wanted to stop to eat. as such, we had a lot of food that was wasted. one thing i found out is that you can buy a kids meal without the lunch box they come in. evey kids meal comes with a collectable lunch box thingy. if you ask you can get lunch with out the box for like a $1.50 less. It's not a lot but when you add up two meals a day for a week that's an extra souvineer or parking pass or something.

3. If at all possible, bring your own stroller! So much more comfortable

4. For her birthday you can get her a pin at guest services. Birthday pins are more than something fun to wear too. my other son got some very special attention on his birthday when CM saw him wearing his birthday pins. we got prime seating on some rides, didn't have to wait (fast pass) for others. he got a free popcorn and all the characters signed his book happy birthday. it was great!

Also at guest services they have stickers for you to put your childs name and your phone number. if you do get sepeated than a CM know's your son or daughters name and a number to call you at.

hope this helps