Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Traveling to WDW in Janurary in the Vacation Planning forums; My family and I are talking about making a trip down to WDW this coming Janurary, most likely the second week. Just wanted to know what the crowds and weather ...
    DisneyFanNJ93 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Talking Traveling to WDW in Janurary

My family and I are talking about making a trip down to WDW this coming Janurary, most likely the second week. Just wanted to know what the crowds and weather are like and if there are a lot of attractions that are down for refurbs. We are thinking about staying at BLT.
    94 WL, 96 DL, 99 DL, 00 OKW, 01 DL, 01 GF 02 VWL, 03 DCL Western Magic & CS, 04 OKW, 06 Poly
    08 BWV, 09 BWV & DCL
    DVC Members since 00

"Hang on to them hats and glasses! 'Cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!" - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

WesTheTallGuy is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Traveling to WDW in Janurary

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanNJ93 View Post
    My family and I are talking about making a trip down to WDW this coming Janurary, most likely the second week. Just wanted to know what the crowds and weather are like and if there are a lot of attractions that are down for refurbs. We are thinking about staying at BLT.

My wife and I have been 3 of the last 4 Januarys. The second week of January has a pretty low crowd, so if you're looking to do lots of rides, it's the perfect time to do it. The Walt Disney World Marathon weekend is from the 10th to the 13th, so there will be more people then, but still not too terrible (and they're mostly morning people, so evenings are not too bad).

January is the coldest month of the year, with highs around 72 and lows around 50. That being said, sometimes it is considerably colder, and on one of the days we were there, the high was 54 and the park was full of people wearing hats, mittens, scarves, etc... Needless to say, water parks are definitely not a big attraction, and Blizzard Beach will be closed from January 6th-March 16th. I don't see anything about Splash Mountain, but it's been closed two of the three times I've been.

Thanks for the insight Wes we haven't made a decision yet but I hope we can go especially with the low crowds! We have always gone during the summer so I think it will be strange to see the parks far less crowded
    94 WL, 96 DL, 99 DL, 00 OKW, 01 DL, 01 GF 02 VWL, 03 DCL Western Magic & CS, 04 OKW, 06 Poly
    08 BWV, 09 BWV & DCL
    DVC Members since 00

"Hang on to them hats and glasses! 'Cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!" - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

N234MickeyMouse is offline A-Ticket holder

I went at the end of January this year... weather was great during the days, but was cold at night (down to high 30s one night)... enough to make me pay gift-shop prices for sweatshirts! It was still worth it to survive the cold while having a hammock to myself on the Polynesian beach to watch Wishes

The low crowd levels makes me want to take an annual trip around that time, despite some attractions being closed. My friends usually take a January trip (reason for going this past January) and a summer trip. They can have the summer trip to themselves--I'm going in January!

adan65 is offline A-Ticket holder

We have gone in Jan the last 2 years and one reason that hit me is that fantastic is detailed everyday. The last 2 years they have only had it once or twice per weeks. Any ideas on why they might have modified it for 2013?

Glenn Briggs is offline A-Ticket holder

I don't know if there is a super slow time anymore. Look at the special events for that weekend. January has the Marathon, Cheer Competitions, and Brazilian Tour Groups. On the positive side, The cheer groups are college kids and the Brazilian groups are not as rowdy as the summer groups. Still, January is a great time to go. And, if you like it less crowded, wait until May.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by adan65 View Post
    We have gone in Jan the last 2 years and one reason that hit me is that fantastic is detailed everyday. The last 2 years they have only had it once or twice per weeks. Any ideas on why they might have modified it for 2013?
    I'm not sure what you're asking by "Fantastic is detailed everyday." Is that auto-spellcheck kicking it?
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by N234MickeyMouse View Post
    I went at the end of January this year... weather was great during the days, but was cold at night (down to high 30s one night)... enough to make me pay gift-shop prices for sweatshirts! It was still worth it to survive the cold while having a hammock to myself on the Polynesian beach to watch Wishes

The low crowd levels makes me want to take an annual trip around that time, despite some attractions being closed. My friends usually take a January trip (reason for going this past January) and a summer trip. They can have the summer trip to themselves--I'm going in January!
    Cold is relative. Being from No. IL most Florida evenings in January are not what I'd consider cold. Well, except for the weather they have had for Marathon weekend the last few years. Felt for those runners.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Cold is relative. Being from No. IL most Florida evenings in January are not what I'd consider cold. Well, except for the weather they have had for Marathon weekend the last few years. Felt for those runners.
    Agreed Gabe living in Jersey this time of year I see temps range from 50s one day to 30s the next day so I'm not too worried about the temps when we go
    08 BWV, 09 BWV & DCL
    DVC Members since 00

Eleven years ago, I went on the Disney Cruise out of Florida, taking a land and sea package. The weather was so cold, WDW ran out of out gloves (literally). They started selling little hand warmers packets for your pockets. But no gloves. There were signs everywhere apologizing for the vegetation and plant life, but the cold snap was killing everything off with temps into the 20s. This made for a very unpleasant vacation, but as was mentioned above, it gets much colder than that up north, so I was used to it, though ill-prepared.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Just got back last night. Hope to put together some sort of trip report soon. Maybe. We'll see.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

crowds were big and lines were long when we went from the 5-13th

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie19891992 View Post
    crowds were big and lines were long when we went from the 5-13th
    If you think crowds were big at that time, I'd suggest sticking with your local 6 flags. In touring plans crowd numbers they were a 2 or 3 out of ten.

We love going in January for the small crowds, but it's hit and miss on the weather.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

our local six flags was seasonal here in Buffalo, NY until six flags sold it back to an individual smaller company.

1 hour wait for test track, 1 wait for the new little mermaid ride. It was nice to get out of the cold of Buffalo in january but we prefer disney in October/November or May