Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Imagination Pavilion going down this winter in the Vacation Planning forums; If this dose happen I doubt that figment would leave do the big out cry when they did get rid of him when they got rid of dreamfinder and the ...
    epcot_fan90 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Imagination Pavilion Closing for Renovation

If this dose happen I doubt that figment would leave do the big out cry when they did get rid of him when they got rid of dreamfinder and the original ride.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

While you may be right, I'm not so sure.

JII hasn't been popular since its original incarnation, and Figment's overall popularity has dropped dramatically over the years. Whereas P&P are really at the top of their popularity right now.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Disney take full advantage of that fact, and if they did it right, the pavilion would scream to the top of the charts with barely an audible whimper from a small portion of fans demanding Figment's return.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

It is absolutely time for Captain EO to go. Disney capitalized on the "Hey kids... Michael Jackson's dead! You know what THAT means..." re-incarnation of the attraction. But when the theater's crowd level drops to low numbers, it's time to move on.

I'm not sure Phineas & Ferb are necessarily the way to go. P&F are popular NOW. Give it a few years and see what happens. They didn't go so far as to make Kim Possible a full blown attraction. Meet n' Greet characters, the Epcot game, two nice (read: temporary) attractions. But to sink money into an attraction that you know will eventually go cold? Eh, maybe not.

Disney has been able to create some timeless properties. But if you look at the history of the shows on the Disney Channel? They're pretty flash-in-the-pan. Anyone remember Lizzy McGuire?
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Kim Possible was never even close to being as popular.

And timeless rides can be created with any character. How popular is Peter Pan these days?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Figment merchandise still sells well and there is still quite a chunk of it despite the Imagination pavillion condition.
    Figment pins remain very popular to purchase. My thoughts are Figment remains incredibly popular in spite of Disney's lack of support for Figment in the park. Disney must recognize Figments following by the amount of Figment merchandise, they even went so far as to make a Duffy outfit.

Still, Disney might choose to bite the bullet and tick off the Figgy fans in their efforts to revitalize Future World and bring that segment of Epcot into the 21st century. Yet Disney over the last 10 years has a pattern of molding all four parks around characters, movies and tv shows where before it was more limited to the MK and to MGM. It was rare to see any of this trend in Epcot, every once in a while you'd see Disney Classic Characters at the Entrance of Epcot in Future costumes. You didn't see much of this in AK either and when you did it was in parades or in the Camp area or in a Restaurant. Then Disney broke with that and re-branded Countdown to Extinction to hype a movie Dinosaur. Much to the point previously made, Dinosaur didn't have staying power to re-brand an E attraction. Having raised two children I've watched TV shows come and go on Disney and other popular children channels. MGM really capitalized on Teenage Mutant Turtles when my son was small but they had the good sense to make them a small stage show and meet and greets not invest in an attraction. At least Idol can be pulled too with little capital lost.

I have that same concern with Avatar for AK. If it has the staying power over multiple demographics to warrant an expansion around that particular movie. Time will tell. Avatar is a good gamble by Disney for AK because even if guests do not bond with Avatar AK guests of the day will take in that expansion by default because AK lacks E attractions. The test of time after the initial launch is will Avatar over the years draw guests annually into the park? Don't know the answer to that one. That is why I reserve my excitement for P&F, wonder over the years if that will remain a strong draw or if it will become stale. Pulling Figment for P&F, it really needs to be a quality attraction with 21st century elements, not keeping the same track and slapping up P&F cutouts and animatronics along the same mini set areas. They did that with Nemo in the Seas and just projected Nemo all about the short ride. Disney needs a Wow! statement for the Imagination pavilion to stifle the Figment fans.
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

No, I agree.

Re-Ferb-ing it and keeping the same ride system while adding P&F cutouts or animatronics most likely won't cut it. It has to be done correctly. But, to do that in a year doesn't sound likely, IMO. So, chances are good that's not the route they're planning to go.

As for Avatarland, it's just as I've always said: build quality attractions and the movies staying power won't mean squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Kim Possible was never even close to being as popular.

And timeless rides can be created with any character. How popular is Peter Pan these days?
    Peter Pan has earned the 'timeless' nod, I think. Song of the South isn't very popular, either. I'm pretty sure most of the people who ride Splash Mountain have never even heard of the film. You could remove the characters from the attraction and it's no different than any other log flume ride.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Disney take full advantage of that fact, and if they did it right, the pavilion would scream to the top of the charts with barely an audible whimper from a small portion of fans demanding Figment's return.
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Figment merchandise still sells well and there is still quite a chunk of it despite the Imagination pavillion condition.
    Figment pins remain very popular to purchase. My thoughts are Figment remains incredibly popular in spite of Disney's lack of support for Figment in the park. Disney must recognize Figments following by the amount of Figment merchandise, they even went so far as to make a Duffy outfit. Still, Disney might choose to bite the bullet and tick off the Figgy fans in their efforts to revitalize Future World and bring that segment of Epcot into the 21st century.
    Exactly. The second incarnation, Journey into Your Imagination, was lacking the two central characters that made the first version so memorable. So to shut fans up, at least they gave us Figment.
    Yet Disney over the last 10 years has a pattern of molding all four parks around characters, movies and tv shows where before it was more limited to the MK and to MGM. It was rare to see any of this trend in Epcot, every once in a while you'd see Disney Classic Characters at the Entrance of Epcot in Future costumes. You didn't see much of this in AK either and when you did it was in parades or in the Camp area or in a Restaurant. Then Disney broke with that and re-branded Countdown to Extinction to hype a movie Dinosaur. Much to the point previously made, Dinosaur didn't have staying power to re-brand an E attraction. Having raised two children I've watched TV shows come and go on Disney and other popular children channels. MGM really capitalized on Teenage Mutant Turtles when my son was small but they had the good sense to make them a small stage show and meet and greets not invest in an attraction.
    Imagine if they still had the D1ck Tracy or Roger Rabbit stuff packed into DHS? Yikes.
    As for Countdown to Extinction, I know they were hoping to hype the film, but I’m happy that they had the sense to distance the ride from the movie itself. There’s a film that far too many people have no idea existed. No surprise that we haven’t had a diamond edition of the DVD yet (please tell me there’s no diamond edition?). If they had talking dinos based on the characters (not sure I could even name one at this point), it wouldn’t have the drawing power as a movie-based attraction, just as a semi-thrill ride.
    I have that same concern with Avatar for AK. If it has the staying power over multiple demographics to warrant an expansion around that particular movie. Time will tell. Avatar is a good gamble by Disney for AK because even if guests do not bond with Avatar AK guests of the day will take in that expansion by default because AK lacks E attractions. The test of time after the initial launch is will Avatar over the years draw guests annually into the park? Don't know the answer to that one. That is why I reserve my excitement for P&F, wonder over the years if that will remain a strong draw or if it will become stale. Pulling Figment for P&F, it really needs to be a quality attraction with 21st century elements, not keeping the same track and slapping up P&F cutouts and animatronics along the same mini set areas. They did that with Nemo in the Seas and just projected Nemo all about the short ride. Disney needs a Wow! statement for the Imagination pavilion to stifle the Figment fans.
    I was concerned about the incorporation of Nemo into the Seas. Then I realized that the Lion King was in The Land way before that. And it didn’t do much to cheapen the theater. It does need some sprucing up, though. As for P&F, I think if they’re going to do anything with the theater, they should stick the films. They can make those easily enough and swap them out whenever they need to. Even the Playhouse Disney stage show can be updated as necessary. Let’s see who remembers Handy Mandy in 2020. How many of your kids are still clammering for DVD’s of Roly Poly Oly or Big Comfy Couch? I didn’t think so. And yet they were big parts of old incarnations of the Disney Jr stage show once upon a time. Long live Bear in the Big Blue House.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Exactly. The second incarnation, Journey into Your Imagination, was lacking the two central characters that made the first version so memorable. So to shut fans up, at least they gave us Figment.
    Yep, don't think Disney can ever live down that rehab.

Imagine if they still had the D1ck Tracy or Roger Rabbit stuff packed into DHS? Yikes.
    As for Countdown to Extinction, I know they were hoping to hype the film, but Iím happy that they had the sense to distance the ride from the movie itself. Thereís a film that far too many people have no idea existed. No surprise that we havenít had a diamond edition of the DVD yet (please tell me thereís no diamond edition?). If they had talking dinos based on the characters (not sure I could even name one at this point), it wouldnít have the drawing power as a movie-based attraction, just as a semi-thrill ride.
    Yay, WDW is currently celebrating the anniversary of Roger. Don't think most of these kids have a living clue as to who Roger was, but out and about he is. To the small it is like a funky Easter Bunny. Next Limited Time Magic is going to be Idol at DHS. Seriously it is! As a follow up to they are pulling Idol out in 2014. At times I just want to say what are you thinking?

I was concerned about the incorporation of Nemo into the Seas. Then I realized that the Lion King was in The Land way before that. And it didnít do much to cheapen the theater. It does need some sprucing up, though. As for P&F, I think if theyíre going to do anything with the theater, they should stick the films. They can make those easily enough and swap them out whenever they need to. Even the Playhouse Disney stage show can be updated as necessary. Letís see who remembers Handy Mandy in 2020. How many of your kids are still clammering for DVDís of Roly Poly Oly or Big Comfy Couch? I didnít think so. And yet they were big parts of old incarnations of the Disney Jr stage show once upon a time. Long live Bear in the Big Blue House.
    Some of those are kiddy shows my kids watched and can't say they'd like to relive them. Nemo the movie is cute and could someday be a classic, maybe. I think Lion King has already reached that classic level, I believe in part because the music was as strong if not stronger than the film. It is a powerful soundtrack that lends itself to many Disney attractions. I'm not sure I can put Nemo in the same category as Lion King.

Peter Pan has earned the 'timeless' nod, I think. Song of the South isn't very popular, either. I'm pretty sure most of the people who ride Splash Mountain have never even heard of the film. You could remove the characters from the attraction and it's no different than any other log flume ride.
    Peter Pan was a classic long before the attraction opened at WDW. As much as many hated to see the Toad go, Pooh was also a timeless classic so a good move for an attraction. But these things are in the MK not Epcot. That is where I have a difficult time with the homogenizing the 4 parks into Movie/Character/TV shows. The parks are loosing their individuality. As much as AK needed Bugs Life for the attraction count and it was a popular movie back then with huge lines, not so much any more. Yet I think it would have fit beautifully into Fantasyland. Lion King in Animal Kingdom works perfectly as did Count Down. P&F for Imagination for longevity I am not so sure about. Certainly I'd capitalize on P&F current popularity, yet I think more in DHS and not invest major capital funds to the project. Sophia is wildly popular at the moment with the little girls and Disney is placing her in a meet and greet, merchandising the heck out of her near the kiddie stage at DHS. Great Marketing move. Would I fund a major attraction around the TV show? No. I think P&F is a stretch for Epcot/Future World. With that logic
    Buzz should be in Future World vs Tomorrowland.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

P&F are just fine where they are in DHS. Leave 'em there. Trouble with that theater in the Imagination Pavilion is that it is the kiss of death for properties to age poorly. They didn't know what to do with an attraction based on a cute but forgettable 1980s film with a lead actor who has now pulled himself out of Hollywood entirely and gone back to living a civilian life. Their answer was to capitalize on the death of a pop star whose personal reputation had been called into question, and pull out another terribly dated film. Yes, it's still Michael Jackson, but from 30 years ago. Sort of like the two versions of Elvis or Sinatra. Watching that pre-show is at least somewhat slightly better than the attraction itself. It's funny seeing George Lucas back before his neck became twice as wide as his head.

Which is exactly my point. Make a quality attraction and it takes on a life of its own outside of the source material.

Guarantee no less than 95% percent of the folks who ride Splash never even saw the movie. Many more fans of PPF have likely seen Peter Pan, but it simply doesn't matter. I think it's a grand ride and I'm not even sure I've seen the original movie.

P&F are just fine where they are in DHS. Leave 'em there. Trouble with that theater in the Imagination Pavilion is that it is the kiss of death for properties to age poorly. They didn't know what to do with an attraction based on a cute but forgettable 1980s film with a lead actor who has now pulled himself out of Hollywood entirely and gone back to living a civilian life. Their answer was to capitalize on the death of a pop star whose personal reputation had been called into question, and pull out another terribly dated film. Yes, it's still Michael Jackson, but from 30 years ago. Sort of like the two versions of Elvis or Sinatra. Watching that pre-show is at least somewhat slightly better than the attraction itself. It's funny seeing George Lucas back before his neck became twice as wide as his head.
    Yeah, EO returned bugged me, 'cause in no uncertain terms at D23 shortly after MJs death it was stated No, EO would not make a comeback into the parks. P&F just doesn't seem strong enough to endure the test of time.

Long before Splash opened I knew the "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" song and it is on the Children's classic songs on cassette that my DS had when he was small. I had read the Br'er Rabbit books when I was a kid. Shortly before Splash opened there was a new Song of the South book released with cassette read along. My folks vividly remember the Popularity of the Song of the South and when Splash launched, that generation was all over the property. The Song of the South was such a classic that Disney even molded an entire resort off the Song of the South, right down to the refillable mug. It is politically correct now to distance from the classic Song of the South, even Disney did it by renaming the resort along with renaming restaurants themed of the cotton picking days of the South but that was just a short while ago.

Dixie Landings didn't even open until '92 and had all sorts of song of the South Stuff including storybooks. It wasn't until the new millenium that Disney tried to gloss over ties to the movie and stage shows. My kids were very aware of Song of the South and Br'er Rabbit and the songs that related to them, Disney made sure my children's generation connected the dots from the classic Song of the South to Splash Mountain.

And BTW, Song Of The South is not a Disney classic by any stretch of the imagination. No home video release, ever, limited theater runs, etc...

The only "classic"aspect of it is the controversy surrounding it that has kept Disney from releasing in home video media of it.

And BTW, Song Of The South is not a Disney classic by any stretch of the imagination. No home video release, ever, limited theater runs, etc...

The only "classic"aspect of it is the controversy surrounding it that has kept Disney from releasing in home video media of it.
    Let's hope Disney has enough sense to never hire you on as a historian, ever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Song-of-the-...item35ca012e6b
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-SONG-...item2c7116c46d
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walt-Disney-...item33839149fc

amen

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast