Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Imagination Pavilion going down this winter in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by doconeill Part of the problem is that TV is a radically different landscape from what it used to be. For many, many years, kids knew who Yogi ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Imagination Pavilion Closing for Renovation

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Part of the problem is that TV is a radically different landscape from what it used to be.

For many, many years, kids knew who Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo, the Flintstones, etc. were. Now they don't. Where they were once repeated ad nauseum, they barely get screen time these days, because few channels want to dedicate time to the old, which brings in precious little ratings (and thus advertising dollars). When there were far fewer channels, there was less to dilute the viewing audience. There wasn't a lot of choices for a kid to watch, so cheaper repeat programming still got decent ratings. Now you don't see a lot of repeat programming at all. Even the networks don't repeat a lot of their shows in the "off season" - they have other shows in those time slots. Only the most popular shows on a network tend to get a second airing.

So today, new is necessary. And because of the contract structures, etc. they get more expensive over time (unless cuts are made). Shows have a difficult time getting past the 3 year mark, which is how long a lot of contracts are initially made for.

P&F has done really well so far. It seems a decent property to base something off of it (I even enjoy it myself). Will future children have a connection to it in six years? Don't know, but it is unlikely to still be in production. But it's certainly lasted longer than most these days. Interestingly, they've lasted as long as Kim Possible (4 official seasons, although P+F have more episodes). But the Kim Possible Adventures didn't open until after they announced the cancellation, and over a year AFTER the series finale aired.
    I think Epcot got it right the first time around, original concepts, they stood the test of time. If they only put P&F into the theater that could be an easy enough change out. Problem is Disney opts not to change out their theater shows often enough. Look at how long Shrunk hung around, a lot longer than it should have and EO revisited was just an awful knee jerk reaction with the hopes of bringing droves of MJ fans down to Epcot. Didn't happen.

To rebuild an entire pavilion around P&F is a huge gamble given the age of the show. Kim did well because it was the first of that kind of an adventure at WDW. Now they are going into all the parks, a local grab maybe but certainly not something the majority of guests/families take the time to play.

But TV Shows do draw, look at Simpsons, Springfield in Uni Orlando, the expansion the food venues. Uni called that one right, Simpsons has the staying power that I'm doubting P&F can match.
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I think Epcot got it right the first time around, original concepts, they stood the test of time. If they only put P&F into the theater that could be an easy enough change out. Problem is Disney opts not to change out their theater shows often enough. Look at how long Shrunk hung around, a lot longer than it should have and EO revisited was just an awful knee jerk reaction with the hopes of bringing droves of MJ fans down to Epcot. Didn't happen.
    I agree with the original Epcot idea being a great one. Though I guess it was only a matter of time before our visits would become franchised. Originally, there weren't supposed to be characters at Epcot at all. I was OK with the old double decker character bus that used to take characters around the lagoon to designated stops, including at the International Gateway on the Future World side. I still have two or three pictures somewhere of the bus and the characters from one of my trips in the 80's. I remember Mickey in his Mounty gear, riding with other characters dressed in country-themed outfits, as well as characters like Little John and others from various Disney movies set abroad, tying into a particular pavilion. The bus would come, people took pictures, the bus would move on. Now I walk through Future World and I run into Chip & Dale, Marie the cat and Gepetto for some reason. Outside I find Daisy Duck. I guess kids look around and ask, "Where are the characters?" so they had to do something. Sticking them inside the gaudy Character Spot wasn't enough, I guess.
    Last edited by supernova; 08-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Re: Imagination Pavilion going down this winter

Quote Originally Posted by froland_04-08 View Post
    I am really hoping that they bring back a ride similar to the original. At the very least I would love to see figment and the Dreamfinder return!!
    For us, yes. For young kids and first-time visitors, it wouldn't matter much.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

If a Figment themed pavilion was done right I believe kids of today would bond with him too, just like many did before him, just like Duffy. Duffy didn't have a TV show or a Pavilion and he does quite well for himself much to my chagrin.

It was rare when my kids were small for any character to be in Epcot yet every once in a while they would pop up at the entrance to welcome small visitors.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

To rebuild an entire pavilion around P&F is a huge gamble given the age of the show. Kim did well because it was the first of that kind of an adventure at WDW. Now they are going into all the parks, a local grab maybe but certainly not something the majority of guests/families take the time to play.

But TV Shows do draw, look at Simpsons, Springfield in Uni Orlando, the expansion the food venues. Uni called that one right, Simpsons has the staying power that I'm doubting P&F can match.
    I agree with the original characters. However, over time I think Disney saw that they themselves were not enough of a draw. Epcot simple wasn't attracting visitors - how do you go to a Disney World park and not see familiar Disney characters? Which is why more recently they've been "Disneyfying" Epcot. Now it's getting guest attention, but now Disney has two other languishing parks to deal with, and since they already have the characters, they can't dip into that bag of tricks again.

Disney has resisted changing anything, unless a sponsor pays for it. But the list of sponsors is dwindling fast. Disney now has to contend with footing the bill on their own. In some cases they appear to be waiting on technology that would make it easier to update in the future - like high-res digital projection systems for Soarin' (and that could be a reason for not having done the theater at Imagination as well). They are just about there (Imagination could probably be done with the currently available tech), so we'll probably see lots of changes in that regard over the next several years.

The Simpsons is a huge anomaly in TV these days. A prime-time animated spinoff that outlived its parent show by a factor of 6, and is still going strong. Still, it was eighteen years since it became its own TV show before they announced the ride, and another six before they decided to update the surroundings to match the theme.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Disney has resisted changing anything, unless a sponsor pays for it. But the list of sponsors is dwindling fast. Disney now has to contend with footing the bill on their own. In some cases they appear to be waiting on technology that would make it easier to update in the future - like high-res digital projection systems for Soarin' (and that could be a reason for not having done the theater at Imagination as well). They are just about there (Imagination could probably be done with the currently available tech), so we'll probably see lots of changes in that regard over the next several years.
    And with Kodak pulling out of the parks, Disney isn't offering any subsequent sponsors anything special with the pavilion in its current state. Maybe it'll be up to the next company to fund the pavilion's rebirth.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I still chuckle at the pavilion theming ideas... I personally dont think its necessary to have a sponsor... look what happened when Siemens took over sponsorship of SSE... that worked out well... Disney is having a good stretch I think lately in imagineering, so why would they want another company to have final say on attractions...? I know it saves them money and such, but the attractions might be better if Disney reserves final control on these...
    froland_04-08 likes this.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    I still chuckle at the pavilion theming ideas... I personally dont think its necessary to have a sponsor... look what happened when Siemens took over sponsorship of SSE... that worked out well... Disney is having a good stretch I think lately in imagineering, so why would they want another company to have final say on attractions...? I know it saves them money and such, but the attractions might be better if Disney reserves final control on these...
    Yeah, I'm with you in theory. Disney built some parks very well without being dictated to by sponsors. Yet look at Avatar, that whole project is a bicker-fest. If there is someones reputation other than Disney's on the line they need to be careful not to let Disney smoosh it.

Test Track 2.0, love it or hate it now is still "old school" betting sponsor wouldn't allow Disney to dumb it down by making it an ad for Disney's "Cars." Yet look at what Disney on their own did to Energy/Ellen or Seas/Nemo.
    Why would a sponsor want to sponsor Disney promoting themselves? Future World was a better with Sponsors. SSE is still character free with a sponsor. Figment at least tied to the theme of Imagination as a character timelessly because Figgy wasn't dated by a movie or TV show.

Disney pretty much did the same thing with FLE, Princess-land. A large bankroll to advertise their Princess line. While the small demographic of small girls and some creepity middle aged men, are thrilled and BoG is a successful dining spot, the entire land lacks real substance for the dollars spent. The imagineers tied to Disney figure heads are lost on their own these days and sponsors like SSE and TT seem to be able to push Disney into the right direction by not letting them commercialize every stink'n attraction to a TV show or Movie. That is my only hope for Avatar, an outside influence to make it a good attraction instead of just relying on nostalgia of the film. I hope. I'm waiting to see just how amazing Dwarf will be inside that mountain. Disney needs this one to be a winner that appeals to the masses not just little kids and their Moms and Dads.
    froland_04-08 likes this.

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

I actually had no idea that they were building a new coaster in Fantasyland...... I need a WDW trip stat!
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Quote Originally Posted by froland_04-08 View Post
    I actually had no idea that they were building a new coaster in Fantasyland...... I need a WDW trip stat!
    No need to rush. Won't be open until sometime next year.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    No need to rush. Won't be open until sometime next year.
    I know but I like to kinda see things as they are being built or refurbished. I watched them build Everest and also watched them redo BTMRR once.
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Still no recent news on whats going to happen with it.....hopefully we will know something soon!!
    HauntedGabe likes this.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

you could make music by hopping on colors, Stepping Tones, or conduct an orchestra

Pin table was around the size of a small pool table.

When Disney blew the rehab, they closed the upstairs too, moving a few items downstairs and putting in a few new versions of activities. Mistake was to keep the same name. Expectations were high and it fell way short. It was small, many one at a time activities unlike the upstairs version. The only thing in the downstairs version my kids liked was the ability to send a picture to Grandma via email with animation over their faces. Email creativity was new way back then. I was in there a year and a half ago and they still had some stuff in there but most was broken and outdated.
    Oh WOW!!! These pics sure bring back great memories!
    HauntedGabe likes this.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

With all of today's technology, it baffles my mind that we're pining for 25+ years ago. Disney, what have you done?
    firemedic and HauntedGabe like this.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Just what I think!!! You know they have the money and resources.
    supernova likes this.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast