Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Imagination Pavilion going down this winter in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by firemedic Just what I think!!! You know they have the money and resources. Disney doesn't have any extra money to spend on technology. Disney had decided the ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Imagination Pavilion going down this winter

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    Just what I think!!! You know they have the money and resources.
    Disney doesn't have any extra money to spend on technology. Disney had decided the way to go is to spend
    8 million dollars on stock buy-backs, up from the current 4 billion.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    With all of today's technology, it baffles my mind that we're pining for 25+ years ago. Disney, what have you done?
    There is a difference between having fond memories and what have you done? In this case Disney earned the What have you done. The closed and abandoned the area. What should have been done was instead of closing was to keep it open and continue to keep current or a step ahead of tech that guests have not been excused too.

This area was cutting edge when my children were small. We didn't have a PC in our house when my son was small let alone the internet. Life changed by leaps and bounds when my kids were in elementary school, with PCs, internet, cell phones. Gaming dramatically changed from the days of Atari. I have to say though when my DS sent me an email a few months back with his picture attached, silly figment images around his face, well it was a warm and fuzzy from days gone bye.

I hold the same fond memories for the after ride area of SSE when my kids were small.
    supernova likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Good luck with them keeping it current... anyone remember the AT&T Global Neighborhood...? that aged out rather quickly... unfortunately that is what Future World became... Everything became antiquated almost as soon as it opened... but your right... they should have just kept it open... what would that have hurt...?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    Good luck with them keeping it current... anyone remember the AT&T Global Neighborhood...? that aged out rather quickly... unfortunately that is what Future World became... Everything became antiquated almost as soon as it opened... but your right... they should have just kept it open... what would that have hurt...?
    It really would not have hurt a darn thing, you're right. Little kids jumping on colors to make music, conducting music by waving your arms, playing with the pin board are pretty timeless. Where I disagree is keeping up with tech. I hear this from school administrators all the time. To me always a priority creating a budget, next to fully funding PE.

Our classrooms have interactive touch smart boards. It genuinely has helped students from zoning out. Even more it has forced some of our less motivated teachers to recreate their teaching methods. For Disney tech upgrades in areas like Imagination, the likes of ATT/SSE or even WoL pavillion. In our mall there is a huge monitor with the newest Microsoft dance. Silly, humorous e-cards could replace the old emails home, Wii type tech could have been used in WoL. While tech is expensive on household budget, for Disney tech upgrades at attractions is probably the cheapest and quickest type of upgrade. They don't have to pitch everything, but if annually they change one or a couple a year maybe Disney could present something cutting edge to the toddlers that are already able to operate an iPad better than most middle aged adults.
    supernova likes this.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

It's been a LONG time, obviously, since I was there and I was young anyway so I wouldn't remember much first hand. But some of those games were timeless (shooting colors onto white spaces, etc). And if they can keep changing Innoventions around, why not one or two attractions there? Then again, the only people really missing this area are those who were there. New guests who are visiting the parks for the first time, or were never there in the 80s have no idea what the pavilion used to be like. So in the end, who would they really be fixing this stuff up for?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

It's been a LONG time, obviously, since I was there and I was young anyway so I wouldn't remember much first hand. But some of those games were timeless (shooting colors onto white spaces, etc). And if they can keep changing Innoventions around, why not one or two attractions there? Then again, the only people really missing this area are those who were there. New guests who are visiting the parks for the first time, or were never there in the 80s have no idea what the pavilion used to be like. So in the end, who would they really be fixing this stuff up for?

Eek. That is a slippery slop you are heading down. You are scaring me. You sound like a Disney bean counter.

Where does that acceptance end? WoL, new guests don't remember that. Norway, young children do not remember their play area, nor do people remember the full back lot tours and working studios. So many examples of this dumbing down of WDW. I don't believe this makes the parks a better place to visit.

I know it took us 2 full days when my kids were small to explore everything Future World had to offer without ridiculous lines. Now, if I didn't have to stand in line for 2 hours to stand by for TT or Soar'n I could be out of Future World in less than a half a day. With so little exploration activities, 3 are gone in reality from Imagination without the theater, a pavilion that once took a solid two hours with children is 15 minutes. It messes with crowd distribution. It makes attractions like TT, Soarin and SSE artificially crowded. It also leaves families with children lacking anything to do that are not old enough for thrill attractions.

Soarin is a nice attraction, not over the top amazing, it should not command a 1.5-2 hour stand by time. But when there is so little to do, it happens. You see this happening in Epcot and in the Studios. AK for whatever reason people do what I do, hit a couple attractions and leave. Interest at that price, walking animal trails or a conservation train to nowhere has its limits. Disney never use to scream carnival games. The low attendance demonstrates new guests don't appreciate the park in the same way they do the MK that has much to offer.

Don't think the bean counter philosophy is doing WDW any favors in the long run. They had a corner on the theme park market and blew it.

froland_04-08 likes this.

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

That is a lovely picture!!
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

That was taken by Becci of MouseFanTravel last night via twitter. I posted it for the memories just in case they mess with the problematic roof during renovations. I love the architecture of that building.

Ah, OK. I thought you were going for the 'And the sun sets on the Imagination pavilion.'
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

I dont think the sun will set on it. As a former CM who has spent ALOT of time in the abandoned pyramids, I feel it has alot of potential to be reused.
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Well, pretty much for the exact reasons you mentioned. If the public can't get into the abandoned pyramids, I don't think Disney would keep them open as merely a playground for employees.

But overall, with the pavilion's best days long behind it, might be time to pull the trigger.

Ah, OK. I thought you were going for the 'And the sun sets on the Imagination pavilion.'
    Actually I was needed a pic of her before they do what they do. But needed to acknowledge it wasn't my sunset.

Well, pretty much for the exact reasons you mentioned. If the public can't get into the abandoned pyramids, I don't think Disney would keep them open as merely a playground for employees.

But overall, with the pavilion's best days long behind it, might be time to pull the trigger.
    I'm hoping it isn't like the WoL a fake thought of rehab, a few seasonal openings and a goner.

It is the roof portion of the the pyramid that is giving them issues. Disney also has the same issue with the entrance of WoL building which is currently a waterfall. Disney duplicated this style a few times and it gets problematic over the years. At least most of the Contemporary has a real roof. Both WoL and Upstairs Imagination are used for special events and Corporate rental hubs. Both are in pretty abandoned states, they move planters around and use ropes so guests of the events don't wander into the abandoned areas. Disney does little to nothing to hide they are renting a chunk of a building that is deteriorating. It is like those pop up Halloween and Christmas shops that take over an abandoned space for a few months, calendar companies are great for doing that. They put zero dollars into the space, use it and bolt.

Part of the reason why Disney might re-work the roof and a small chunk of the building is the need to put additional elevators in the building if they are to use the upstairs again. It isn't ADA compliant. It has a small passenger elevator but won't hold those electric carts that are used in massive amounts these days. It could also be the reason why they won't re-open the upstairs, that is all they need is a queue just to go upstairs.

Other than Pleasure Island Disney isn't really big on tearing down buildings or things. They eventually re-purpose them or leave them to rot like River Country and the old Discovery Island. They can't seem to bring themselves to pay demolition costs or rebuilds like Universal does, when Uni is done with something it goes. Even with the conversion Princess Fairytale Hall still looks like Snow White. You can put up new pillars but the facade still screams Snow White.

Unless a sponsor is going to pitch in major chunks of money I can't see too much changing after a rehab at Imagination. They could change out Figgy without spending a ton of money and insert the latest character.
    Kinda like they did with Alien to Stitch. Very much the same just worse.

A few match sticks and some kindling would probably be the cheapest refurb Disney could go for at this point.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast