Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Resort Mugs in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm kind of new to this site(it's a great one!!! ),and I was wondering how the people here who have stayed many times at Disney feel about re-using mugs from ...
    mickaholic4077 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Resort Mugs

I'm kind of new to this site(it's a great one!!! ),and I was wondering how the people here who have stayed many times at Disney feel about re-using mugs from a previous trip. I take the position that as long as Disney locates the soda fountain islands outside the area that you pay for the food,then they know that people re-use mugs from previous trips and don't have a problem with that. What are y'alls feeling on the subject?(Please no name-calling or chastising;I would like to keep this discussion polite!!)

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm not totally sure, but I believe they change the mug from one year to the next to try to avoid this. But of course I could be wrong.
    Last edited by jacketsfan683; 08-15-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    Eric

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by mickaholic4077
    I'm kind of new to this site(it's a great one!!! ),and I was wondering how the people here who have stayed many times at Disney feel about re-using mugs from a previous trip. I take the position that as long as Disney locates the soda fountain islands outside the area that you pay for the food,then they know that people re-use mugs from previous trips and don't have a problem with that. What are y'alls feeling on the subject?(Please no name-calling or chastising;I would like to keep this discussion polite!!)
    The mugs are supposed to be used during your current stay and the policy is clearly posted.

However, the policy does not seem to be enforced, at least at the Values. I have seen guests using mugs from 5-6 years ago from the same resort, and also those of other WDW resorts.

I have also seen guests using mugs from banks, schools, etc. As to what you should do, see below.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-15-2005 at 11:03 AM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Every trip I buy a new mug.... I think that everyone should follow this.. people complain about the rising prices but they are also the ones who are contributing to this.... I look at reusing mugs as stealing.. You did not pay for the second trip's drinks.. the mugs clearly state that they are only valid for the duration of your trip.. not trip after trip after trip.. and so on...

justlikeeyore is offline A-Ticket holder
    :mickey: I also beleive you should by new mug each time you go.

justlikeeyore is offline A-Ticket holder
    i before e except after c

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i plan on getting a new mug next and every trip. nice to display them on the shelf in my office.

#1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.
    I buy one new mug and bring 1 old mug with me from the previous year. I like to collect them.
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop

PigletIsMyCat is offline A-Ticket holder
    I read a thread like this on ::gasp:: another site, and boy did it get nasty.

Personally, I have been to WDW once so far, and purchased my Mara mugs and I still use them at home. I will be buying new ones this September.

Although, I did read some people's comments, stating that when they first bought their mugs (years ago) they were told they were good for free refills FOREVER. While I find this hard to believe, I saw many people say this. As for the present time, it is very clearly stated that the mugs are good for your current stay ONLY. I agree that people who continually use the same mugs over and over help contribute to higher prices. And while people will argue that 'it only costs Disney like two cents to fill up this mug' they are wrong. Soda fountains (according to what I was told a couple of years ago) average six cents for every twelve ounces. Let's not forget that the NuCO2 has to be bought and stored, as well as the bags of syrup. Oh, and you have to pay someone to maintain the soda fountain/syrup bag/NuCO2 area. And those mugs ain't free. A paper 16 ounce cup (printed) can cost over ten cents.

Not alot, no. But when you are buying/selling tens of thousands of them....

And when tens of thousands of people are 'illegally' filling up their old mugs....

(I can't figure out the numbers, I'm terrible at maths )

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    We stayed at Pop Century during Hurricane Jean last year and when we bought a refillable mug it was from their grand opening! We wondered how they enforce their policy when they are still selling mugs with last year's date on them.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by PigletIsMyCat
    Although, I did read some people's comments, stating that when they first bought their mugs (years ago) they were told they were good for free refills FOREVER. )
    Yes, when we first bought our first set of mugs in 1996 we were told by several CMs they "could be used forever" and we did "re-use" them in 1999 after asking if the policy still applied. The "change", or the clarification, seems to have occured sometime in 2000 or 2001 that the mugs were to be "used during your current visit only". However, due to language nuances there are still some resort CMs who will say it is OK to use them again.

IMHO, Disney changed the policy when they saw how many mugs were being reused by guests and/or the policy was not clearly stated to the then CMs. I could not find any current info on the official WDW site about the resort mugs.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-25-2005 at 04:52 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Although I always see TONS of people using different mugs, I always buy a couple new ones at each resort I stay at. I think of it as probably the correct thing to do, and I do drink plenty of soda so I probably get my money's worth. (But they keep the program going, so no doubt it must be a money maker for them).

Also, I think of the mug as a souvenier of my visit to that resort as well. I now have them from POR, AS Movies, Contemporary, Polynesian, Caribbean Resort, etc...
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    We were told on 3 years ago that they were good "forever" by the CM's at the Beach & Yacht Club. We have used them on our past 2 trips, one last year and one in March.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!