Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Take a slow stroll in the Vacation Planning forums; When you are in the Magic Kingdom slowly stroll up Main Street USA and read the windows on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the building. Each name has a ...
    tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys

Take a slow stroll

When you are in the Magic Kingdom slowly stroll up Main Street USA and read the windows on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the building. Each name has a place in Disney History.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I'm always amazed at how many people ignore or do not notice these. Although most casual WDW visitors may not recognize some of the names and their signifigance, the will see the Disney names, as well as the often humorous titles and businesses (e.g. M.T. Lott, etc.)

And while you're looking at the names.. be sure to listen as well... you may just hear singing lessons, dance lessons and lots more!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    For those of us not in the know, M.T. Lott was one of the names that Walt used to buy land in Florida for Disney World
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    >>For those of us not in the know, M.T. Lott was one of the names that Walt used to buy land in Florida for Disney World<<

So that people wouldn't know it was Disney, which would cause the property values, and cost of purchasing the land, to skyrocket (which it eventually did, but not by as much as it could have, and definitely not as fast as it could have).

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    You know, I always tell myself to slow down on Main Street and take in the small things that I know are there! But as soon as I step foot on the monorail and the doors close, I lose all sense of self-control. I turn into a kid again and I have to get as much done in one day as I possibly can so I end up taking a nice leisurely jog up main street so I can get everything done at least twice! Maybe on my next trip (hopefully in October), I will try to slow down and take in the small stuff. I want to do the party line phone. Is that still there? I've also heard rumor that they pump fresh baked cookie smell out onto Main Street, is that true?
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    >>I've also heard rumor that they pump fresh baked cookie smell out onto Main Street, is that true<< Yup, if you look near the bakery window you can see the vent it comes out of. This is because they cook the cookies elsewhere/before the park opens, and they want to make it a complete sensory experience for all.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Yes, it's true about the cookie smell. They use a device, known as a "Smellitizer" to pump out that awesome cookie smell! That was the same machine they used to create the oranges smell in Horizons (R.I.P.)
    Lou Mongello

It amazes me how much you know. It's crazy! I really need to get a copy of your book one of these days....maybe when I get payed I'll go buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by NORMNB8S
    It amazes me how much you know. It's crazy!
    Nerd Alert!!! ->
    Lou Mongello

I wouldn't say nerd so much as EXTREMELY well-informed.

Crzy4Dzny is offline A-Ticket holder
    We've gone past those windows many many times and I will say to my husband, 'Rog, look at that one' or 'look at this one,' and he will say, 'nice windows honey' as he's dragging me to Crystal Palace or the POC, or whatever thing we're headed for.

Katie

Crzy4Dzny is offline A-Ticket holder
    I ment to say this before....I don't think either one of us knows how to take a nice long stroll in Disney. Maybe by the middle of the week we might, as we're usually pooped by then, but that's only if he can get me out of bed. I like to take a catch up nap. Gives me enough energy for the rest of the trip.
    Katie