Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: Which month(s) is/are best to visit WDW?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Best Time of Year to Visit WDW in the Vacation Planning forums; When do you feel is the best time of year to visit the parks? (based on weather, crowds, room rates, events, etc.)...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Best Time of Year to Visit WDW

When do you feel is the best time of year to visit the parks? (based on weather, crowds, room rates, events, etc.)

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator
    I have been to the parks in March, the week after Easter, Columbus Day weekend and the first week of December. By far the first week of December I feel is the best because:

1. rates are low
    2. crowds are low
    3. Holiday decorations are up

There is one drawback to early December, temperatures fluctuate wildly from year to year from the 30's at night (had to scrape frost off car one year!) to the hi 80's for daytime.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I went in February for book research and it was great. The parks were empty, the weather was wonderful.

I am also going in September for my anniversary, which is, sadly, 9/11. I understand that during that time, due to everyone being back in school, etc., that the parks are virtually ghost towns, and the weather is between the 60s and 70s. (Of course, it's going to be awkward and sad to be there on that day).

I am also going for MouseFest in December, and can't wait to enjoy the small crowds, but especially all of the holiday decorations and festivities!
    Lou Mongello

Luxury Disney is offline Moderator
    My husband and I divide our time between Port Aransas, Texas, and Crested Butte, Colorado
    I really like January after the New Years weekend is over. Resort prices are low and the parks are practically empty. Just be sure and bring a few warm clothes in case a cool front blows in. Either then or right after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend when all the Christmas decorations are out and the park crowds are fairly low.

But then who am I kidding! I'll take Disney any time of the year.
    Cara Goldsbury
    Author of "The Luxury Guide to Walt Disney World"
    info@luxurydisneyguide.com
    www.luxurydisneyguide.com

MomofKatie is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've been twice in Feb and it is a nice time to visit- weather not too bad, crowds pretty much nonexistant.

Went July 2002, and it was much less crowded than I thought. But I understand WDW was experiencing a major downturn in attendance due to 9/11.

This year, we are going the first week in Nov, which is during Epcot's Food and Wine Festival, as well as Jersey Week. Thinking it will be good week to go, but will have to see when we get there!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    i really liked going in february because all the flowers where in bloom considering i was coming from buffalo and it was in the negative number temps!!! liked november also because of the decorations for xmas but the parks closed early

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We don't take our kids out of school, so we are pretty much relegated to the summer months. We've gone in June, July and August on various trips.

For us, we think it's a great time to visit WDW. Why?

1. Everything's open. Carousel of Progress, Timekeeper and other "seasonal" attractions are open, so we get to see everything. Disney generally schedules pool and attraction refurbs during the off season, so we don't have that problem either. This is important because we only go once each year. May be less important if we visited more often.

2. Longer park hours. I can't imagine MK and the other parks closing as early as they do during the off season. We like to stay in the parks late, and the summer extended hours work well for us.

3. Pools. Yes, I know that the WDW resort pools are heated, but you still have to get out and on many days in the fall/winter it just isn't very comfortable to sit around the pool. Swimming is a big part of our vacations, and we don't have to worry about the temperatures in the summer being too cold.

Yes, yes we know the parks are crowded. Yes, we know that the attraction lines are all long and only FastPass saves the day. Yes, we know that we get all sweaty. Yes, we know that we get tired and thirsty more quickly.

But we do enjoy thoroughly going in the summer. Just call us weird, I guess.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Everything's open.

I agree... The last few times I've gone "off-season", Timekeeper and others were closed, which I was pretty bummed about. No need to make people miss out on great attractions just because it's not the busiest time of year.
    Lou Mongello

I'm betting on.... next week when I go!!!

Any time you get to go is the best time, right??!!
    Lou Mongello

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Of the times we have gone, my favorites are early December and late October.

Early December...I call it "Christmas without the Crowds." It's great! Back in 2001 we had a warm spell, it was 85 degrees with 100% humidty and we were seeing Christmas tress and hearing jingle bells and sweating our butts off! Almost bizarre, but I loved the low, low crowds. I found out later this is time for Mousefest and very popular among DVCers to book their rooms.

Late October...MNSSHP and the Food & Wine Festival!!! Woohoo...we never did manage to make it all around the world showcase during the Food & Wine Festival. We must go back!
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    I was hoping that the first week of October would be ideal, not with all these hurricanes I am beginning to wonder.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Main Street Magic is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We have taken in the parks at various times of the year and we have decided that for us the best time is usually right after Thanksgiving. As mentioned above, the Christmas decorations are just up, everyone is just starting to be in the Christmas spirits. The weather can be mixed but usually is still quite nice and the crowds are usually light.

That's why this year we are going down on October 17th!!!

(actually there are some other reasons which would take quite some time to describe)
    Keep your hands and arms inside the post at all times and remember no smoking or flash photography please!

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    If you don't need the holiday decorations, Jan/Feb is great. (Lou sorry to say, another Huricane is on the way for this weekend)

We have already had our 50 yr Hurricane (Charley) and our 100 yr Hurricane (Frances) I guess the 1000 yr Hurricane is next. Since we are getting them all in a 4-5 week period, the next one should be a while away.

For those unfamiliar, Hurricane season is June 1 - Nov 30.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    I just read that Florida has not been hit by so many hurricanes since 1964. I wonder if these hurricanes will have an effect on whether a new theme park will be build any time soon? I agree, Ivan looks to be a bad storm.

I know a lot of old timers who never thought this would happen to them in Florida given the recent history of hurricanes. A hurricane in Sebring? Then again who would have foreseen the citrus industry moving from around Clermont to south of Frostproof 25 years ago?
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Is Ivan going to hit central Florida, I last heard it was headind for the Gulf???

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast