Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Is this the worst week EVER to visit Disney? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi, although I go to WDW often, this might be a new one for me and I'd like some honest, expert advice from those that have been there: Long story ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

Is this the worst week EVER to visit Disney?

Hi, although I go to WDW often, this might be a new one for me and I'd like some honest, expert advice from those that have been there:

Long story short, I have a shot to use my AP again this year. Good news. Bad news: It would be a few days of the week between Christmas and New Years. What do you think? Totally busy and crazy for a mom with two kids and a hubby? I have gone in June during busy times, and in both mid Jan. and Feb. with little or no crowds. Should I go? Should I skip it or try to move it? Anyone? Thanks for the tips in advance......
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Any week you are in WDW is a GREAT week! If that is the only week available to you (and you have AP's) I would surely go. You can go with the understanding that the place is going to be packed, the lines are going to be long, BUT the Christmas decorations will abound! Just concentrate on things you normally wouldn't get to do/see and leave HM and PotC for another time!
    They call me "Nana"

Thanks! THe other concern I have is that I don't think I will be able to get any resort AP discounts for that week. Obviously if I get moving on it I can still book a room, but just not under the best rate program, I guess.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Come see me! Come see me!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    The christmas season has the busiest two weeks of the year. As long as you know that and don't mind working with/around it. Go for it. Just remember that the first three weeks of December are 'dead' in when you compare them to the last days of the month.

They do not offer any AP discounts on rooms during this time. Although, I did receive an email the other day that said that they are opening up the use of the AP Best Rate Program up until and including Christmas Day, which I was totally surprised about! I agree, if you have AP's and you have a chance to go...absolutely GO!!!! Anytime at WDW is better than not being there at all! We've been during Spring Break time, June as well as August (which are all busy), but we just go in with the mind set that it's going to be busy, packed and the lines are going to be long! And as also already mentioned, the Christmas decorations are AMAZING if you have never been at that time! I am hoping that we are going to be able to squeeze a trip in sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas so we can enjoy the festivities as well!

mickaholic4077 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Liek others said,as long as you go with the mindset that you will not go on some rides due to crowds,you should do fine. Also,if you check in on Christmas Day,you should get whatever the rate is that day for the whole of your trip.

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    The last time I visited Disney was back in 1997 during the week between Christmas and New Years Day. While it was a couple years back and I was only 14 (I think I was 14 because I can't remember if the trip was in 97 or 98 ) I do remember a couple of things.

The good: I liked going to Disney because I hadn't been there in years (almost 8 years since my last visit) and it was great to see everything decorated for the Holidays. The Magic Kingdom looked beautiful. It was also great because the characters wore Christmas outfits. Add some Christmas spirit to the Disney spirit and its awesome!! I don't recall too much of MGM as we only spent a day but I do recall that in EPCOT, some of the countries had a little Christmas theme going on.
    Another good thing...Hot Chocolate!! I remember having some good hot chocolate in one of the parks . Can't remember which one since it has been such a long time but I remember it being very tasty with lots of marshmallows.

Bad Things: Something I do recall very much were the lines and the wait!!!!!!!!!! Of course, I dont think there was FP back then. I remember standing in line for more than 2 hours for Splash Mountain. (I do remember though that before the New Years firework display, my family rode the Haunted Mansion and POTC with NO lines!!, HM definitely scarier at night.)
    Also, the weather. I remember when we went I had to wear several layers to stay warm. There are pictures of me looking like a snowman because I would wear my jean jacket with several shirts underneath. I currently live about 1.5-2 hours north of Orlando and it can get as low as the 20s, 30s during December/January. I would definitely take the cold factor into consideration when making hotel reservations as you might want to stay somewhere close to the parks or where you dont have to wait long for transportation. My family stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel over by Downtown Disney and I would freeze waiting for the stupid bus!
    Sorry I can't recall much, but if anything comes back to mind regarding this week I'll add it
    UF Alumni: '04 BABA, '06 MAB

Quote Originally Posted by gator717
    Also, the weather. I remember when we went I had to wear several layers to stay warm. There are pictures of me looking like a snowman because I would wear my jean jacket with several shirts underneath. I currently live about 1.5-2 hours north of Orlando and it can get as low as the 20s, 30s during December/January. I would definitely take the cold factor into consideration when making hotel reservations as you might want to stay somewhere close to the parks or where you dont have to wait long for transportation.
    DissyLove will not have a problem with this coming from where she lives! We went in December 2 years ago and you could definitely tell the Northerners apart from the Southerners! The Southerner's were bundled up like a "snowman" as you described and the Northerner's were in shorts and sweatshirts! It was a nice break from the 3 feet of snow that we left behind!!!

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    DissyLove will not have a problem with this coming from where she lives! We went in December 2 years ago and you could definitely tell the Northerners apart from the Southerners! The Southerner's were bundled up like a "snowman" as you described and the Northerner's were in shorts and sweatshirts! It was a nice break from the 3 feet of snow that we left behind!!!
    On campus during the winter, you can tell which students are from Miami and other southern cities because they are the ones that look like they're ready for a trip to the South Pole
    UF Alumni: '04 BABA, '06 MAB

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the info as we try to figure out if we can swing it. Of course I am bummed out we can't get any AP discounts but I knew those would be blackout dates.

No the weather won't bother me that week, but the crazy crowds will bug my son who has the patience for sitting still of a bug.

I'll let you know what we figure out, but it would be awesome to see the holiday decorations, I have not been there for that before.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the info as we try to figure out if we can swing it. Of course I am bummed out we can't get any AP discounts but I knew those would be blackout dates.

No the weather won't bother me that week, but the crazy crowds will bug my son who has the patience for sitting still of a bug.

I'll let you know what we figure out, but it would be awesome to see the holiday decorations, I have not been there for that before.
    If you are AAA member you can get room discounts as good, if not better than AP now.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property