Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Port Orleans Riverside in the Vacation Planning forums; We are planning a 4 day quick trip to Disney. We normally stay at the Beach Club or CBR but have booked Port Orleans Riverside since nothing else was available. ...
    tigger909 is offline A-Ticket holder

Port Orleans Riverside

We are planning a 4 day quick trip to Disney. We normally stay at the Beach Club or CBR but have booked Port Orleans Riverside since nothing else was available. Since we have never stayed there before what does everyone think of it?? Is it around the same size as CBR? I was worried about the buses since I think everyone has seen the line at the parks for the All Star Buses. Is there any particular area that I should request within the resort? Thanks for all your help!

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    I've never stayed there, but heard the entire resort is beautiful. I hope you have fun.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    We will be staying in October. I can give advice then.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I have stayed there and I loved the place. It is beautiful! Loved walking around the lake early in the morning watching the sun come up! The place is so nice. I stayed in the Alligator Bayou section in a newly renovated room. I loved our room - big beds, nice tv, 2 sinks at the vanity. We had a fridge and nice table to sit at.

It was a little bit of a hike to the main building, but the food court is great. I was not able to check out the pool while we were there, but I hear that it is kicking! I did love the boats that took you to Downtown Disney!

The place is HUGE and luckily they realize that with the bus system....

I hope you have a great trip!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

bwbelle is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My family and I have stayed there many times, and we have enjoyed it each time. Last time we stayed in a bayou room, and it was wonderful. It was a corner room, so it had 2 windows and it felt bigger than a normal room. I agree with GaRain, the food court is great, and our family likes it so much that sometimes we go by POR just for lunch. If anyone in your party needs first floor be sure to request it, because some buildings don't have elevators. The mansion-style buildings are nice to stay in, but I think the bayou buildings seem more secluded. Also, there should be mini-fridges in each room now, so you'll be able to keep drinks/snacks/leftovers in your room if you wish. The buses run frequently, but of course keep in mind that during park openings and closings, there will be some wait. Usually not too bad, though. Enjoy your vacation and welcome to the boards!
    Raising the 3rd generation of WDW fanatics!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Oh man! I am so debating whether or not to change my POP ressie to POR now since the bil and nieces aren't going. Do you think it is too late? Should I just keep what I have? I'll have to cough up roughly $400 more. What to do, what to do.
    They call me "Nana"

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    I worked at both Port Orleans and French Quarter.
    In my opinion, it is one of the best resorts at WDW.
    There is quite a bit of walking at PO. There are no elevators to the second floor rooms except in the mansion buildings.
    The grounds are some of the most beautiful at WDW and have won many landscaping awards.
    The boat to Downtown Disney is a great perk.
    There are several bus stops around PO, just like Carribbean Beach.
    Boatwright's serves a great breakfast. Dinner is pretty good as well. Reservations are easy to come by. Make sure to get a praline from Riverside Mill (counter service).
    Buildings 85 & 90 (mansions) and 14 & 15 (bayou) ar the closest to the main pool and main building.
    None of the rooms have private balconies. All windows look out on a public walkway outside the rooms. The "water view" is actually a "water and other guests walking by view". None of the rooms have inside entrances.
    Building 18 is a smoking optional building. One of the mansions is smoking optional as well, but I can't remember which one.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 09-14-2005 at 11:53 AM.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Oh yeah - and at the food court, HUGE portions. You are good with the child sized servings pretty much most of the time. I know I was.....especially breakfast.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Okay, now I am so ready to go!

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    We stayed at Dixie Landings (POR) in 2001 and loved it. Boatwrights food is wonderful as is the Cotton Mill food court.

We rented a bicycle for four and had a blast. The boat to DTD is a nice relaxing ride with beautiful scenery.

We were at Magnolia Bend mansions in Magnolia Terrace just over the bridge from Ol' Man Island themed swimming area across from the Main Building "The Sassagoula Steamboat Company"

Although the capacity of Port Orleans is as large as Caribbean Beach, it did not seem as spread out.

More information can be found here Port Orleans Riverside
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    Oh man! I am so debating whether or not to change my POP ressie to POR now since the bil and nieces aren't going. Do you think it is too late? Should I just keep what I have? I'll have to cough up roughly $400 more. What to do, what to do.

If you are willing to spend it, I'd go with the upgrade.

Have fun!

~ Valerie
    *)
    ..*) .*)

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Hi all. Stayed at POR in June, did a trip report on it following, but couldn't find the link to my trip report so I could not add that here. But just wanted to say, we spent 6 nights there in the Magnolia Bend section (the three story, mansion style houses) and loved it. We were a short foot bridge over from the main theme pool, which was hands-down, my kids favorite disney pool. They loved the water slide and side of the pool, which had a small waterfall. (and we have stayed at CBR, All STar MOvies, Poly, and Contemporary).

We liked the food court, it has typical fare and some southern-inspired foods, like jumbalya, spicy rice dishes, etc. if you feel like trying something different.

I liked the amount of supervision at the pool-at least two good lifeguards who were very diligent at watching the kids, which helped me, bacause I went alone with my two older kids, and with one loving the water slide and my younger one on the stairs swimming, I felt OK and safe supervising both without a problem. Also, the boat ride available from POR is fun, and the fishing charters, if you like that kind of thing, is nice. Also, the sit down restaurant there is pretty good at the resort of you are there and want a sit down meal without travelling.

I had no problem with the busses, and I was there the end of june and it was PACKED, so I have nothing bad to say about it.

It is not as "themed" as the CBR if you have stayed there, but this resort is very tranquil and nice. Long story short, I would recommend it and would go back if you want a moderate resort, it is worth that level of spending for it. (I am doing POP this October, but only because I got a good AP rate on it and my sister is low on funds so we are going value this time, otherwise I would easily choose POR again) Have fun all!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Dissylove... We were in the same building I think. We could see the main building from our front door, a gazebo and the Sassagoula River., over the bridge to the main pool.
    ~ Valerie
    *)
    ..*) .*)

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Sounds like it! Can't remember my room number, but I was happy with our location. It is....dare I say it.....a small world after all
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Saying it is ok... Just don't to start to sing it.

We were there in Jan. 2001

Here is the link you were looking for...

DissyLove's Trip Report

~ Valerie
    *)
    ..*) .*)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast