Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Need help for Grand Gathering! in the Vacation Planning forums; I just want to get some opinions on large family groups at Disney World. My mother in law is trying to talk my Father in Law to pay for the ...
    WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

Need help for Grand Gathering!

I just want to get some opinions on large family groups at Disney World.

My mother in law is trying to talk my Father in Law to pay for the whole family to visit WDW sometime in 2007. (8adults, 4kids they will be 11, 5, 21/2 and 2 when we go) If the answer is yes she has put me in charge of all organization!!

M-I-L would like to go in April, but I think it might be awfully crowded then, I would like to choose May or even end of November for the fewer crowds.

Anyone who has done the large family visit could you tell me where you stayed,(on WDW property of course) what time of year, and what you would do or not do again with such a large group.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    The last family gathering was the last week in October 2004.. we had 19 people.. We rented out 6 rooms in Pop Century... The crowds were not bad at all... We've also been the 2nd week in June a few times with large groups.. once with 12 once with 15 and once with 13.... We like to travel together a lot!!!

We rented 3 vans for the 19 of us and 2 for the lesser crowds.. that was so we could venture outside the world... 4 of us (including myself and my DH flew down) the rest of them took a train... (some people in my family are scared to fly).. We had an awesome time.. It's a little hard to plan for 19 people.. So we mainly broke into smaller groups and just set up meeting times for dinners and such.. But it's pretty funny to be asked how many in your party when in line for PotC and you tell them 19... They always make you wait for the next empty boat and filler up!!!

If you have any other questions.. feel free to PM me

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Wow, I thought going with 10 in our group was tough. You were double what we were! I am impressed.

I have been in Mid-May and crowds weren't anything. We also went the week of Thanksgiving and it really wasn't horrible but we stayed away from MK until late Thanksgiving evening. Good luck and have fun.

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    Yea, weve always only had 9 tops but thats 2 families and we went in oct, but this was aroudn 10 years ago so i dont know if that still is good. Dz said it was so it must have always been a good time.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

Donna, cannot give you any advice for large groups other than WDW has lots of great help for Grand Gatherings now! I would make a suggestion between May and November. If you go after Thanksgiving the crowds are basically nothing!! Plus you get the added bonus of all the Christmas decorations being up!

We have also went at the end of May and although it wasn't as busy as say Spring Break, Christmas or middle of Summer, it was still busy. Which means a lot more lines to wait in. When we went the last week of November there were NO lines! It was great!

If my FIL says yes to this I am going to suggest the end of November, my DH and I were planning to go then anyway. We went at Halloween 2004 and it wasn't too bad then. I have been to WDW at Christmas time and I think everyone else would love to see what Disney can do with a few strands of garland and some lights!!
    Thanks for everyones help. I have to keep this from my DH for another few days. My FIL is supposed to decide by Friday if this is a go or not.

Resorts we have tried;
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    Coronado Springs -2009

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Donna
    I think everyone else would love to see what Disney can do with a few strands of garland and some lights!!
    Yeah, a FEW!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it's a go for you!

Just found out this morning IT'S A GO!!!! F-I-L is paying the whole shebang! Air, hotel and passes for 12 of us.
    YYYIIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Resorts we have tried;
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    Coronado Springs -2009

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Donna
    Just found out this morning IT'S A GO!!!! F-I-L is paying the whole shebang! Air, hotel and passes for 12 of us.
    YYYIIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
    What a fantastic Christmas present Donna!!!!! That's great news! So happy for you!!!!

IT'S A GO!!!

I can't believe my Father-in-law is actually closing down his auto shop for a week and springing for the entire family to go to WDW!

We have been mulling over a couple of ideas, four rooms at a All Star Resort maybe with fridges.(there will be a couple of 2year olds a 4yr old and a 10yr old) or 1 villa and 1 room at the Wilderness Lodge, so we can have the convienence of a larger fridge. Any opinion would be appreciated.

I think it has been decided that we are going to go in May 2007.

Resorts we have tried;
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    Coronado Springs -2009