Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Strollers - rent or bring your own? in the Vacation Planning forums; Is it better to rent a stroller at the parks or bring your own? we will be bringing a year old baby and arent sure what to do are the ...
    judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder

Strollers - rent or bring your own?

Is it better to rent a stroller at the parks or bring your own? we will be bringing a year old baby and arent sure what to do

are the stroller there clean and safe? do they have room to store stuff?

thanks

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by judycats
    Is it better to rent a stroller at the parks or bring your own? we will be bringing a year old baby and arent sure what to do

are the stroller there clean and safe? do they have room to store stuff?

thanks

I think you should probably bring your own. The ones Disney rents are the "jogging" type. They have some area to store stuff and are safe
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I decided to bring our own stroller when we go next month!!!) as well. Part of my logic was simple - since you rent strollers once inside the parks, that means that you must carry your child/children (if they are too young or tired at the ened of the day to walk) from the park entrance to the monorail/boat, your car, etc. Plus, with all the extra "stuff" and tons of souveniers you may pick up, that's quite a lot of... well.. stuff.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hagar55 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing, I was wondering if anyone had any problems brining the stroller onto the Monorail or busses? Last time I went we didn't have kids and didn't pay much attention to people bringing their own strollers.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I've seen people bring even the large double strollers on the monorail with no problems.
    Lou Mongello

Pipper is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I would recommend bringing a stroller. Preferably one that folds up. The one we had was a tandem (front back type vice side by side) double stroller. We have 4 kids and having the double was a life saver. Ours was a quick fold type which made it very easy to haul on and off the busses and monorail. This was very helpful when the busses were crowded. The big benefit of bringing your own allows for greater flexibility around the resort or heading home. Even if you think your kid(s) are too big for a stroller - keep in mind that they will tire more easily than you when walking and even though they may be too old for one it is a great way to let them take a break while you push them around plus it's easier to push the stroller than carrying the child. I would recommend bringing a stroller that has good quality wheels for excellent maneuverabilty and sturdy enough to ride over bumps and things like the grooved tracks on main street. Alot of the newer models have great "in-line skate type rugged wheels." If it can fold up - another added benefit. Having a tandem stroller, even if you only have one child, lets you put all your extra "stuff" in the second seat so you don't have to carry it. Stroller parking is pretty good at most attractions so no worries there. Keep in mind that it will take you a minute or two longer going thru security with a stroller if you've got lots of stuff in it - like I always do. Anyway just some random thoughts.

Pipper

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    You should have no problem at all with a stroller of your own on busses, monorails, and boats. But you will often have to fold it (or at least carry your child separately). Don't expect the same treatment as guests using wheelchairs (for example, on the WDWRR, you will need to fold your stroller and carry it up to the platform and on the train (and not use the wheelchair ramp).

With a 1 year old, it make sense to bring your own for the very reason you specified - having it outside the parks. (But if your child is old enough to make it from the room to bus and bus to park (and back again), it often makes sense to rent).

Some tips:
    - Make sure your stroller is easy to fold and somewhat maneuverable.
    - Simpler can often be better. You will often be carrying the stroller on crowded transport/etc.
    - Practice folding it (especially if it is new) before you go, and when you're dealing with lots of things hanging off of it.
    - Be very careful hanging things off the handles. I've seen the handles weighted down so much that when removing the baby from the seat, or sometimes without even doing that, the whole stroller tips and sends things (and babies) flying.
    - Tie/wrap/coil a bright ribbon or something around the handles to make it easier to spot in a "stroller parking lot"

The advantages to Disney Strollers:

- If it gets messed up or dirty or moved or misplaced or stolen or ______, you get a free replacement.
    - You don't have to carry it along with you all the time.
    - You can "abandon" it in one part of the park and get a replacement somewhere else.

Disadvantages:

- The cost can add up.
    - You don't have it outside the park gates.
    - It's not "the child's familiar stroller"

Here's a good WDW Stroller FAQ with pictures.

Also, if you have your own, please DON'T try to push it through the turnstiles. You really don't want to see how tangled you can get up. Just make sure you show up at a turnstile with a CM. You'll stick your ticket in the turnstile and the CM can turn the stile for you and open a gate to let you stroll right though.

Hagar55 is offline A-Ticket holder
    How do you get the stroller on the plane? Do you have to check it? This will be the first flight with kids and a stroller.

Pipper is offline B-Ticket Holder
    It depends on how big it is. If it's a small one that folds you should be able to carry it on. I would check with the airline and find out before hand to make planning easier. We have always checked ours. Of course with that comes the risks of it getting lost, beat up slightly, etc. If it's already slightly beat up from use than it doesn't really matter if it gets tossed into the cargo hold. If you have a really nice and new one and don't want to risk the possibility of it showing some wear after the flight then don't bring it. I have always had good luck with the airlines and they have mostly done a good job with my stuff but there are some horror stories out there. Bottom line...if you like your stroller and it works for you (And it can quickly fold!) bring it with you and check it.

I have two different strollers that I have taken on a plane - a Maclaren umbrella stroller, and a Peg Perego (larger) stroller.

I walked both of them down the jetway, and folded them up before getting on the plane. They were tagged in front of me and I was given a claim tag. They are stowed in the plane last, and when you disembark, they will be waiting for you (hopefully) on the jetway, right by the plane door.

Like Pipper, I have had good experieces (so far) on Continental. Where is the "fingers crossed" smilie???
    Lou Mongello