Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Downtown Disney? in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm going to WDW in Apr. and haven't been there since I was 14, so I was wondering if Downtown Disney was worth checking out. We're going for 5 nights, ...
    xbeccahx is offline B-Ticket Holder

Downtown Disney?

I'm going to WDW in Apr. and haven't been there since I was 14, so I was wondering if Downtown Disney was worth checking out. We're going for 5 nights, so we'll have 4 whole days and two half days. I was also wondering if the Pal Mickey's were worth picking up (for 2 adults).

I'm getting so excited to go and this site has been so helpful and the members so nice. I've been posting all kinds of questions because it's ALL I can think about! Ever since we booked our trip I've literally been losing sleep from excitement! It's like that Disney commercial where the mom comes in the kid's room to check to see if they were sleeping and the little boy says "I'm too excited to sleep!" and then goes to bed and the dad says "I'm too excited to sleep!". The difference being that they're going the next day and I have to wait 64 more days!
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic. - Sam the Eagle

Hey Becca! It depends...DTD is a great place to do some one stop shopping. World of Disney is a great store and is filled to the brim with souveniers!!!!!! Maybe save it for a late evening or for your last day if you have to fly out early and don't have time to make it to a park.

We do not have the Pal Mickey, but I know that there are quite a few adults on this site who do. So maybe one of them will stop in and help you out with that.

Believe me.....all of us here completely understand your excitement and being "too excited to sleep", that's why we all fit in so well together here! Sounds like you have found your second home!!!!

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    It's definately worth checking out. But, only if you like shop gazing. Basically, if you're more of a ride person, DTD may not be the best place for you. But, trust me, it's definately an awesome place to go to, especially at night. DTD is open until 1 am I believe? Or maybe 2. Somewhere around that time.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    DTD is a great place to shop. You should be able to check out what shops are located there to get a feel for what might interest you. We love to eat at Fulton's, and the hat shop in the back of the Christmas store is one of the few places you can have hats embroidered. (It takes time for embroidery work, so plan on leaving and coming back or having it delivered to your hotel.) Cirque du Solie is also at the far end of that area if you are interested in some above average entertainment. There is a huge emporium that carries a wide variety of toys, clothing, kitchen ware and jewlery.

I do have a Pal Mickey. He is heavy, and I understand that PM now comes with a harness rather than just a clip. I made a harness for PM after I nearly lost him when I sat down and he popped off my waist in Mission Space. I think two adults could share one. Children would probably each want their own. He's amusing, but he tells more silly jokes than information. He is also hard to hear in the noisy park. He screamed, "The British are coming" in the Rose and Crown. That was a bit embarassing. PM will also remind you of shows that are starting soon. Check his batteries. I recenty brought him to the park and found that I'd left him on and his batteries were dead. The batteries have to be put in using a screwdriver, so even if I'd bought new batteries, it would have been tough to get them in.
    Have a great time. Need someone to carry your bags?
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

LOL. Oh my god, the part about PM screaming "The British are coming" in the Rose and Crown struck my funny bone hard! I couldn't stop laughing. I'm not one who likes to draw attention to myself so maybe I'll skip the PM. But if I do end up getting one, you can carry him for us, Mini-V!
    As for DTD, we're definitely going to have to check it out. I hope I don't buy too much stuff in the marketplace. Last year while in Las Vegas I bought these two huge paperweights and then realized it was about a mile trek back to our hotel (my husband was none too happy to be lugging paperweights around Vegas!). Does Disney have any service where they send your souveniers back to your hotel? That would be nice in case I find any more paperweights. Haha.

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    if you are staying on property they can be delivered(at least i'm pretty sure that's how it works)...such a nice service! DTD is a nice way to spend a low key afternoon...my family and i usually go there the first day if we get there in the afternoon and usually wind up going back at least one night before we leave..it's really great to just walk around, browse, and buy lots of fun trinkets.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Scrap-Vamp is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Becca, Erica is right - you can definitely have packages delivered back - another great advantage of staying onsite You can also charge items to your room bill as well.

Reading your threads I can tell you are just as excited about your trip as I am about our trip and we have the same wait time !!
    Jen xXx

Quote Originally Posted by xbeccahx
    LOL. Oh my god, the part about PM screaming "The British are coming" in the Rose and Crown struck my funny bone hard! I couldn't stop laughing. I'm not one who likes to draw attention to myself so maybe I'll skip the PM. But if I do end up getting one, you can carry him for us, Mini-V!
    As for DTD, we're definitely going to have to check it out. I hope I don't buy too much stuff in the marketplace. Last year while in Las Vegas I bought these two huge paperweights and then realized it was about a mile trek back to our hotel (my husband was none too happy to be lugging paperweights around Vegas!). Does Disney have any service where they send your souveniers back to your hotel? That would be nice in case I find any more paperweights. Haha.
    PM can be turned off when you go into a restaurant or a show. He vibrates before he begins to talk so you're warned that he has something to say.

Thank you for all the great info, mini-V! I'm gonna have to get a PM now because he sounds so darn cute! And now that I know we can prevent him from embarassing us I can't resist.
    And, yes Jen, I am soooooo excited! I absolutely cannot sleep because all I can think about is Disney World!

HdnMickeyGrl is offline ...I could tell his 'inner Pooh' was laughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V
    I do have a Pal Mickey. He screamed, "The British are coming" in the Rose and Crown. That was a bit embarassing. PM will also remind you of shows that are starting soon.
    Was he referring to the British Invasion Band?
    - Jennifer

"Ooo...I think my bunny slippers just ran for cover..." - Mushu

Quote Originally Posted by HdnMickeyGrl
    Was he referring to the British Invasion Band?
    I have no idea who Pal Mickey was referring to, but he was unbelieveably loud for the first time all day.

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Remember that if you have packages shipped to your hotel they will arrive AFTER 5pm the NEXT DAY, so plan accordingly. At the parks they can also be sent to the front(not exactly sure wich store at each park so ask) and picked up at the end of your day at the park so you don't have to carry them around the park all day. If you choose any of the shipping options make sure you guard you paperwork like it was gold, if anything gets lost you will need it to get replacement stuff. Some mugs of mine did not arrive back at the resort on time and they shipped them to my home at no charge, so keep all your papers.
    Maggie