Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss WDW in December in the Vacation Planning forums; We are going to WDW hopefully Dec.4- Dec.11th. As it is the first time for us, I don't know what to expect for weather. And should I even consider booking ...
    4-mouses is offline A-Ticket holder

WDW in December

We are going to WDW hopefully Dec.4- Dec.11th. As it is the first time for us, I don't know what to expect for weather. And should I even consider booking a moderate/deluxe hotel with a great pool [kids love swimming] and also not even bother with the waterpark passes? We are the type of people who enjoy amusement parks but we also need" down time "in a hotel with swimming,lounging etc. Thank you for any advice.

We went 2 years ago during that same week and being from Michigan we thought the weather was rather delightful....after all, we were leaving multiple feet of snow, it couldn't have gotten much worse! We didn't use the pool, but they are heated and open that time of the year so it probably would just depend on what type of weather your family is used to. We did encounter a couple of long rainy days....and definitely wanted a sweatshirt for the evenings.

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Weather at the World in December can be hit or miss as for warmth. I have been visiting during the first or second week for 10 years or so. In 2003 and 2004 it didnt get above 60 and it was down right chilly. and I am from the New England area! While this past December it was quite warm.

Best bet is to dress in layers in case it starts out chilly and then gets warm.

This time of year is the best time to go with th eparks and resorts decked out for the holidays. Unfortunately the crowds have increased each year at this time and is getting more crowded.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

magickingdom67 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I recall it maybe getting into the 70s during the day. But pretty cool in the evenings. Depending on your version of warm the pool won't be used I much I am guessing. Crowds should be pretty good though.

The parks and resorts will look especially great though for the holiday season!

bnac is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I suggest a t-shirt or short sleeve polo and a sweatahirt or sweater and jeans or pants. I went this past December for the week between Christmas and New Year's. I wore a sweater in the mornings and at night, but took it off some of the days when it got a little warmer around noon. The weather really is hit or miss, but one definite is that the "holiday" decorations will be nice. Make sure to stop by MGM for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, very impressive.
    -Brian

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-mouses
    And should I even consider booking a moderate/deluxe hotel with a great pool [kids love swimming] and also not even bother with the waterpark passes? We are the type of people who enjoy amusement parks but we also need" down time "in a hotel with swimming,lounging etc.
    Given the unpredictable temperatures, this might be a good option for you. Port Orleans: Riverside, Caribbean Beach, and Coronado Springs (all moderate hotels) have great pools with fun things for the kids. Even if it's too cold to spend a day at a water park, you might get away with a short dip in these pools. There are also fun activities and things to do to relax at these resorts - the playground at PO:R is quite large - and there are marinas to rent boats from, fishing, and more. The deluxe hotels have even more elaborate pools - Stormalong Bay at the Yacht and Beach Club is practically a water park itself. You'd probably want to compare how much extra you'd be spending per night vs. the cost of adding the water park tickets if budget is a concern.

Have fun planning!

Oh, and you might check out the MouseFest site http://mousefest.org since you'll be down during that time.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    The pool may be "iffy", as you do get some afternoons in the low 70's/high 60's, but the evenings can get downright COLD (yes, they've actually sold gloves and wool caps in the MK at night).

Of course, it IS during MouseFest, so i hope you'll at least stop by some of the events!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

soundguy4 is offline A-Ticket holder
    That is the time of year that we usually go. I have found it to be great. The weather is not bad to all. It is not too hot, well there could be a slight chill in the air in the night. All of the parks are decorated for the holidays, before the holiday crowds get there. There are very few people there at that time and the line are usually pretty low. Do make sure you get tickets for the Christmas party on Main St. It is something that you will not want to miss. It is an additional charge, but VERY worth it.

I hope that is helpful for you,
    Paul

disneylady is offline REMEMBERING THE MAGIC
    We went in 2004 ...end of Nov for 3 weeks ...so we were there up till 18th December...The first 2 weeks were lovely ...3rd week we hit a very cold spell ...........even the locals told us it was exceptionally cold......so be prepared ............we wasn,t............... & had to go & buy huge fleeces to go out...........but Hey who cares when you are in "Disneyworld".

Going at that time was fantastic in that you get to see all the Christmas decorations.& Tree,s.....special shows/parades on special nights (MVMCP).& the crowds don,t build up till that last week before Christmas.
    Don,t miss going to MVMCP in Magic Kingdom.& don,t miss Osbourne Lights in MGM.............. MAGIC
    ENJOY

I Belle
    Maggie

#1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.
    I went last year during that time, and we got hit with a cold spell, it was really cold at night low 50's the one night it went as low as 33, you could see the steam coming off the pool. I would pack for all types of weather cause even through it went low at night, we were able to wear shorts and tank tops on other days. It was a combination of weather.
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop