Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Ground Travel from MCO in the Vacation Planning forums; We are going to stay at Old Key West in November, and are trying to find the best way to get to and from the resort from the airport. In ...
    turtleclanscott is offline C-Ticket Holder

Ground Travel from MCO

We are going to stay at Old Key West in November, and are trying to find the best way to get to and from the resort from the airport. In the past, we've rented a car or taken a taxi; however, this time we don't plan on doing anything outside Disney World and there are going to be 5 of us traveling (including a car seat for my daughter.) I know with that large of a group we have too many to take a towncar and I really don't want to take the Mear's Shuttle.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Scott

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    First....welcome to the boards.

Second...I was getting ready to post the same question.

In my case, 2 adults round trip from MCO to the BWV. We want a grocery shop since we'll be in a 1 bedroom, and we don't have any plans to leave WDW property during our stay this trip. I think renting a car for 9 days will be more expensive than transportation to and from the airport, unless someone knows some really good car rental deals in Orlando.

I do know you can reserve a larger vehicle than a towncar for a party your size, stretch limo?

I've used Mears and Tiffany Towncar in the past.
    I'm looking into Happy Limo right, anyone have experience with them?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Welcome, Scott! Good question!

Since you mention a car seat (and thus small child) being involved, and that you're going to be at Old Key West, you might try to find a good deal on renting a minivan for the week. Staying onsite means you don't have to pay for parking at any of the parks, and making a quick exit with an overtired child might make having the rented vehicle priceless. Before my last trip with my 18 month old son, I always used Disney transportation. But with the little guy and all his gear, having the car was so much easier! If you're not going during Thanksgiving week, crowds will be light and parking lots will be empty, so you may not even have to deal with getting a stroller on the trams. Especially for Epcot, MGM, and AK, the car was quicker and easier than the bus. (at MK, you park at the Ticket and Transportation Center and take the ferry or the monorail to the park, whereas the bus pulls up practically right in front of the gates). And for getting to any of the other resorts or Downtown Disney, a car saved a lot of time.

If you really don't want to keep a car the whole time, I believe that National has a rental office on Disney property, so that you could possibly rent from the airport and return it at Disney, then pick it up again the day you leave and return it at the airport. I believe that Thrifty also has an office at one of the Sheratons nearby with free transport back to your resort after you return the car there.

Just a side note, though. The line at Alamo's counter was well over an hour long when I tried to pick up my reserved car in August. They often have big discounts, but be prepared to wait.

Amanda - what is a gmail invite? PM me if this is a stupid question!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

turtleclanscott...

In years past we have used Mears shuttles not always enjoying the large return bus and thier scheduling us more at thier convience than ours.

After visiting Mousesavers.com, I looked in to a limo/towncar service. I found with four of us (me, DH, DD and DS) The limo services were actually cheaper and offer a grocery stop on the way to your hotel.

Here is a thread that has guest suggestions:

Limo Services

Sadly I must mention the one I used was sold and the new owner does not have a good reputation. It is a shame since we had wonderful service. The name of the service is YourRide. (For some strange reason it is banned from the dis, as you can see in the attached thread)

YourRide

All in all These services offer pick up at the gate (your driver will be there with your name on a sign), they take you to the luggage area and help you unload from the belt. Then they bring the car around load it up and you are off.

I believe larger parties have vans/mini vans but a stretch can usually be requested.

The nice part is he scheduled with us our pick up time since he was only transporting us. We were able to spend another 6 hours in the parks on our final day which was a real treat.

I will never use Mears again.

Once you choose your limo service you can most likely find threads on the disboards with pros and cons of each including personal experiencs.

NOTE

After your trips though, please come here to our DWT boards and post your experience with the shuttles/car services you use so that others here can benefit from your experiences.

Thanks!

Last edited by MickeyBabe; 10-11-2004 at 10:27 AM.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    We have always used Tiffany Town car and have always had great service.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Okay after checking out mousesavers.com, I think we'll be doing this:

We've got 2 adults going to a 1 bedroom at the BWV on Friday afternoon. Since we'll have a full kitchen, we want to get groceries and eat several meals inside our room. Delayed flights and/or shopping in a "foregin" grocery store, I think we'll need more time than Tiffany/HappyLimo is quoting us...15-20 mins. I do NOT want to take the chance of missing the grocery shop due to a delayed flight.

Saturday morning we have to be at the MK by 8:15AM for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. From what I understand, that Saturday is not an EMH for MK so I don't think Disney transportation could get us there early enough.

We really do not plan on going off property.

So...I looked into National (per DisneyDame's suggestion) and checked out the rate of picking up a compact rental car from MCO at 5:00PM on Friday and dropping it off at the Dolphin Saturday around 4:00PM plus Disney Visa code would cost us approx. $44.00 This would give us the time/flexibility we want Friday in getting our groceries and getting to the hotel and getting us to the MK the next morning at about the same cost of one way travel using either limo service.

Then...book Happy Limo with mousesavers code for about $45 for the return trip from BWV to MCO the following Saturday. We have a late flight home Saturday, so I do NOT want to leave any earlier than necessary to catch my flight.

So what do you all think....comments?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

That sounds like a good plan, Amanda, especially considering the tour in the morning. I took Disney transportation to the same tour in the spring, and barely made it from PO:FQ. They start running an hour before park opening, and if you miss that first bus, you could be late.

Let us know how it works out!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

turtleclanscott is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Thanks Pat

I think the one-way car rental to then from the Dolphin will probably be our best option. The cost is about the same, plus we can take the car the morning after we arrive to the store to stock up our OKW villa for the week. We'll be arriving at 10:45 which would make for a really late night if we stopped that night with a Towncar service and then still had to check in.

Plus with the National Emerald Isle, it's always fast getting out of the airport.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

Glad to be of help! Please post when you get back and let us know how it worked out!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Last trip we used FL Tours. They met us at the gate holding up the litttle "Hermann" sign so they were easy to find. The five of us (all adults) fit nicely with room to spare. We got to watch Nemo on the way on the DVD player. Grocery stop was available, though we didn't use it. Same van, same driver for the return trip AND we didn't have to arrive at the airport 2 hours early (we planned on just an hour and had plenty of time--of course it was off season). What did all this set us back for 5 adults, round trip? A mere (not Mears) $100. That comes out to $20 a head. (Hint--same price for 6 or 7 people--flat rate of $100 for 1-7)

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    Saturday morning we have to be at the MK by 8:15AM for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. From what I understand, that Saturday is not an EMH for MK so I don't think Disney transportation could get us there early enough.

Just a quick note on this, Breakfast starts at 8am so busses will start running an hour early (7am) to MK.

Fastcars is offline Registered User

Tiffany Towncar

We used Tiffany Towncar and our driver Max was excellent. He was waiting at the baggage claim with our name on his poster. He had already scouted out as to where the luggage was to come out. The cost was like 90 bucks plus 20 bucks in tips. Our trip included a grocery stop. At check out Max was there waiting for us. The best part we didnt have to leave so early like the Mears group did to get to the airport for the same flight as ours
    would use them again

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Ground Travel from MCO

Have you ever thought of calling Disney direct. They could send, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Tinker bell, or one of the flying ghosts from the mansion.