Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Summer Visits? Never have made one in the Vacation Planning forums; We are trying to plan our 2005 and 2006 visits to make the best use of APs. We have never, in 9 trips, been to WDW in the summer. If ...
    iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!

Summer Visits? Never have made one

We are trying to plan our 2005 and 2006 visits to make the best use of APs. We have never, in 9 trips, been to WDW in the summer. If we end up HAVING to go during the summer because of nieces' schedules (darn kids), is it less crowded to go the first two weeks of summer (early June) or the last two weeks of summer (mid August)?

huskybear is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    We are trying to plan our 2005 and 2006 visits to make the best use of APs. We have never, in 9 trips, been to WDW in the summer. If we end up HAVING to go during the summer because of nieces' schedules (darn kids), is it less crowded to go the first two weeks of summer (early June) or the last two weeks of summer (mid August)?
    I have vacationed at WDW in June/July/August many times, and I don't find the parks overly crowded at all in early June. While it's hot during the summer months, it tends to rain a bit less in June than in July and August. The wait time for the more popular attractions isn't too bad either- probably 45 minutes max. You'll make use of FastPass. If you don't mind the heat and humidity (and sometimes lots of rain), go in July or August, but early June is my favorite time to go.
    George

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    You may also want to keep hurricane season in mind. It runs from June to November, with the height of the season being August, September, and October.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder
    hurricanes? there's no hurricanes in florida

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Minnie,

The past two years we've gone in late August (the week prior to labor day weekend, returning just before the airfare jumps sky high for the holiday weekend). Crowds have been light, but it's already considered 'off-season' and park hours get shorter and some of the seasonal stuff is not operating. Not enough to discourage us from doing it again, then, but it is something to keep in mind.

Almost everyone there was either from NY, NJ, England, or Austrailia - NY/NJ schools started after labor day, and the others were on school holidays.

Rain! Lots of rain last year, less this year, but we were very lucky and went between Charley and Frances.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Would not recommend going to WDW anytime in July, August, or September. Just too hot and humid, even though crowds tend to lessen as soon as the schools start. The FL heat and humidity just saps your strength, and if you are like my DW and myself, trying to see and do everything in only 5-8 days tends to add to your fatigue. From now on we are going to November, even if many attractions are down for rehab and/or refurbishment. FastPass if great. One thing I have seen done many times now is that families will have 10-20 tickets with unused days on them and go to 3 or 4 attractions in the MK and EPCOT especially and get FP for them. That way they have no waiting if they watch the FP times that are posted. IMHO that defeats the purpose of the FP, but I have to say I admire their creativeness. Whatever you do, do not try to push the override button on the FP machine. That will get you in big trouble with the CM and/or get yourself kicked out of the park.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    We always go in November ourselves, but the nieces going with us on their FIRST ever trip, will be in school and don't make very good grades to begin with. Their lives have been one turmoil after another (long, Long, LONG story) and they don't need the added stress of falling behind in school. If it were my kids, I would take them out in a heart beat (and have done on many occasions) but they aren't my kids. Our only other option would be to go spring break, but we are trying to get another trip out of AP's with my sister and her husband during spring break 2006. Going spring break 2005 might be shaving it too close if the school schedules go a few days over the next year.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Sorry to hear about your nieces. Looks like WDW is really going to be crowded next year as my Hallmark calendar tells me Easter is on 27 March. So, Spring Break and Easter will fill the parks from mid-March to almost mid-April next year; not a pretty thought.

P.S. Welcome to the board fellow Hoosier! Our daughter and son-in-law live in SE Allen County and I know where Berne is, but have never visited. Maybe some day the DW and I will visit your fair town. We live between Lafayette and Indianapolis as the crow flies.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 10-18-2004 at 10:48 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by judycats
    hurricanes? there's no hurricanes in florida
    Exactly, just unwanted family that visit every few days.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    If you book it just right, you can catch like 3 hurricanes in one week!! What a bonus!!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oh yeah, what a Bonus... LOL

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Be sure to bring your ponchos...

Oh yeha, and some plywood, concrete nails, a generator and 100 gallons of bottled water
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Don't forget the food!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I hate the heat and after my one trip in August and one trip in May...I will only go in the winter. I'm hearing the weather is going to be in the 80's and I'm starting to freak out because it's going to be too hot.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Granted, it is hot and humid and there are lots of thunderstorms or worse, but ANYTIME I can get to Disney is a good time!

August is hot and humid and there are thunderstorms here at home, and we aren't as well airconditioned as Florida. As long as you stay hydrated, take lots of breaks and pace yourself in the worst heat, you can have a good time. I've had more trouble with the heat when I go when it is cold here and hot there - that's when I'm guaranteed to catch a cold upon landing.

The afternoon thunderstorms can play havoc on the go-back-to-the-resort-and-swim-in-the-afternoon plan, since some of the pools are closed if lightning is within a few miles even if it is not raining (Stormalong Bay closed almost every afternoon when we were there; the Poly wasn't as strict about it).

If you plan on indoor sit-down meals (late afternoon lunch/early dinner) you can get a good break from both the heat and the storms. And I think Lou will agree that it is best to always carry your ponchos, even if it's sunny when you leave in the morning.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast