Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss How long to plan a trip? in the Vacation Planning forums; My husband and I want to take our 3 kids back to Disney, but it is so expensive! We want to go again in 2005 ( and get our money's ...
    zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!

How long to plan a trip?

My husband and I want to take our 3 kids back to Disney, but it is so expensive! We want to go again in 2005 ( and get our money's worth), and I need to know should we start planning now? Can we buy tickets now and have them still be valid in 18 months?

I want to go back ASAP!

Laura

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Well, you can start planning now, and keep your eyes out for any promotions, etc. that appear. If you are eligible for one (e.g. Annual Passholder, AAA), Disney will adjust the difference for you.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by zcook9
    My husband and I want to take our 3 kids back to Disney, but it is so expensive! We want to go again in 2005 ( and get our money's worth), and I need to know should we start planning now? Can we buy tickets now and have them still be valid in 18 months?

I want to go back ASAP!

Laura
    I start planning for our next visit the day we arrive at WDW. Your best bet for tickets, other than the Annual Passes, if you are planning to stay less that 8 days is AAA. You don't pay FL sales tax on them. WDW tickets last forever, with the exception of "length of stay" tickets that are tied to your trip usually thru Disney Travel or your local travel agent. They are the most expensive kind of ticket if you do not plan on visiting a WDW park each day because you buy a ticket for every day of your trip, even for the day you are leaving WDW!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

tobler16 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by zcook9

I want to go back ASAP!

Laura
    I have already started planning for our trip to disney in dec 2005. I also have made a jar for change and some dollars and then before we go to disney i will bring it to the bank. Going during the value season is the best bet as you save money on hotels. You can go to the disney store and buy your disney tickets before you leave home. Make your own autograph books and let the kids decided which charcter they want on the front of it. If your flying the farther away you get the tickets the cheaper they are. If your driving i don't have any thing to say yet as this is our first time driving. But i have packed things away already to bring out on the trip. Traveling at night with kids would be better less stops then when they are up. Right now the all star resorts are having a 55 special for rooms in jan and feb on certain days i'm not sure which days. Staying off property will save you money but then you have to pay each day to get into disney world. So staying on property you can save on gas and on paying to get into disney world.

Lisa :mickey: Disney Trip Nov 24-Dec 3

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    The past two summers Disney has offered a 5+2 package or something similar. When you pay for five days you get two free. The length of stay pass is included in the price. So you are getting a seven day pass for the price of five. If you will not be going to a park on either your arrival day or departure day, make a separate reservation for that night so you don't pay for the day you will not be in the park. For example, we arrived on a Saturday morning and wanted to go to the parks that day. Our flight left early Sunday morning the next week. We made our reservations for Saturday night through Friday night with the 5+2 package and then made a separate room only reservation for Saturday night. On Saturday morning I "checked out" and then "checked in" and asked if we could keep the same room. Well, of course they let us! No moving, no hassles and no extra cost for the day we could not use (for 5 people it was quite a savings). Go ahead and make your reservations for the room you want. If a promotion comes along, Disney will honor it on the reservation you have already made.