Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) Discuss Shoot I got banned........again in the Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) Forum forums; Ok, yes, I'm really bad when it comes to getting banned but I got banned again for making a reference that I live 4 hours away from WDW. B( Fine ...
    DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on

Shoot I got banned........again

Ok, yes, I'm really bad when it comes to getting banned but I got banned again for making a reference that I live 4 hours away from WDW.

B( Fine I'll live with it.

I personally think they're a little bit crazy when it comes to online security. I understand that it's very important with them especially but come on. If you do the math, there are about 2K houses to choose from if you were to calculate the radius of all houses 4 hours from WDW.

And getting banned for a month for that is maybe a little unreasonable to me.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Dumbogal is offline Sarcasm - Just another free service I offer..
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFREAK91
    If you do the math, there are about 2K houses to choose from if you were to calculate the radius of all houses 4 hours from WDW.

And getting banned for a month for that is maybe a little unreasonable to me.
    See, the thing is that online predators do not look for all information about their target up front. They are very patient, and gather information slowly. One day they may find out that you live not far from WDW. Another day they may find out another tidbit of information, like a school name, or town name - all leading them to the target in the end. You may not think that the information you let leak out could be important, but if the wrong person gets such information and befriends you, it could lead to more questions.

These values have been put in place by Disney and VMK to protect you, as well as themselves. I have been banned twice so far, and I can honestly say that it was my own fault for not sticking to the values.

I am thankfull for the values, as it gives many kids a place to play safely - including my six year old son. I feel completely confident letting him play VMK without feeling the need to watch over his shoulder the whole time...

Take this as a learning experience, and when your ban is over - stick to the values!!!

I do
    Last edited by Dumbogal; 06-12-2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Dizpinfriend on VMK

Once she was a lowly housemaid dressed in rags. Now she's got a fairy godmother, she's filthy rich, and she lives in a palace with her dreamboat husband.......It's further proof, that the right shoes CAN change your life!

My own low-tech version of Push!!!

LadyDooley is offline A Wishing Apple?
    Well Said from a mature and wise woman!!

Loves First Kiss!

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    I agree!! I've been in your help room also. You should really be careful because you may not realize it at the time but by saying that stuff you are revealing alot. It's not smart.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

AvastGuitarboy is offline A-Ticket holder
    I agree. vmk + staff= paronoid
    Last edited by AvastGuitarboy; 06-14-2006 at 12:39 PM.

JackSparrow is offline .:In This Kingdom by the Sea:.
    currently being driven off the edge of sanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbogal
    See, the thing is that online predators do not look for all information about their target up front. They are very patient, and gather information slowly. One day they may find out that you live not far from WDW. Another day they may find out another tidbit of information, like a school name, or town name - all leading them to the target in the end. You may not think that the information you let leak out could be important, but if the wrong person gets such information and befriends you, it could lead to more questions.

These values have been put in place by Disney and VMK to protect you, as well as themselves. I have been banned twice so far, and I can honestly say that it was my own fault for not sticking to the values.

I am thankfull for the values, as it gives many kids a place to play safely - including my six year old son. I feel completely confident letting him play VMK without feeling the need to watch over his shoulder the whole time...

Take this as a learning experience, and when your ban is over - stick to the values!!!

I do

I also kinda feel bad...
    I have a very good friend, whom I've met through VMK. I have told her later the importance of concealing your real last name, and your age, and the exact place where you live. In all the time I have known her though, she told me (against my will of course) her first name, where she lives. she even shared the fact that her tribe was the same as mine and even her age! I will not give any of this, and I am trying to make myself forget it. thank goodness I am not an online predator! I felt kinda bad reporting her, but I told the staff she was my friend and wanted someone to just send her a friendly official warning. she only got banned for a week...
    well it was for her own good... I doubt she will tell anything at all to her virtual "family"(there's about ten of us, all brothers or sisters with rooms linked to make a "mansion" so yeah vmk does sometimes go overboard but sometimes a short ban is needed...
    you gotta love the penguins.

Em
    TraderMags in
    vmk

jozilla is offline A-Ticket holder

Unhappy

I agree with all of this, and recently received a warning for replying to a joke with the comment that I "live in the Bay Area" - which is incredibly vague, but my understanding was that it could indicate to a predator that I might be someone who could be manipulated into giving more personal information.

That said, I feel that while vmk is doing a great job by being safety conscious in this way, I feel they are sending completely the opposite message by having characters with very prominent breasts and outfits like halfshirts and lowrise pants and lowrise mini skirts. And while it is a great place to have friends this "taken" practice, which I have seen exclusively between opposite gender friends looks like "hooking up" and disturbs me when it is between kids and isn't appropriate for a Disneyland setting for characters of any age - this isn't a dating site. And now this "mommy" business, that's just potentially twisted for predators. It is sad that we have to look at everything from the mindset of what someone who preys on children might do or think, but that is the reality. What sort of message is all this sending?

I am really troubled by the large number of girls I see walking around saying "I need a boy." I'm not a feminist but I really don't like reinforcing the message that girls or boys need to have a boyfriend or girlfriend to be "cool." Serious self esteem issues brewing. It's hard enough in real life, do they have to go through this in an imaginary setting too?

Anyway, just my two cents about an otherwise fun place where I can interact with my adult nephew and niece and her children. Like the park, this should be a fun and safe place for families.
    Last edited by jozilla; 07-10-2006 at 03:28 AM.

adisneyprincess is offline I'll be the next Disney Princess, you just wait and see
    I'm sorry you got baned, I've been ban for a while due to my own falt but I understand personally why they have these rules. It's scary to be stocked by someone online, it has hit my family a few times. My cousin, who would be dead right now if the guy wasn't caught in the airport coming to meet her. And myself, witch lucky for me I found him before he could get to me and sad to say put him in jail before he could get to me or other girls. It's a scary world out there but it is nice to have a place to play that is safe.
    I really am a Princess, hiding out in a not so fairy tale Life

The Eeyore Queen, the Lady with the list. The one the only Shayleen in VMK

805 Eeyores and growing

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    bah, the whole security system is one of the reasons I left it. I understand it's their for everybody's protection, that's why I don't complain about it, but the censorship is just too much for me. But to each their own.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

JackSparrow is offline .:In This Kingdom by the Sea:.
    currently being driven off the edge of sanity.
    mostly the ppl at vmk don't think. everyone in the world of internet who has tuned out those boring lectures about never say where you live or your full name or whatever and don't trust someone on the internet knows what to be careful about but obviously nobody at vmk realizes that while they may have the stylish clothes from the real world and allow the "taken" and "mommy" thing they might be giving totally the wrong message to any seven-year-old playing vmk solely to play the photo safari game for fun. Vmk has turned from a kid-friendly free and 100% safe guearded and watched by staff 24/7 to basically no better than My Space.
    you gotta love the penguins.

Em
    TraderMags in
    vmk