Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Opinions on past CEO Michael Eiser in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by Disney05 Just started reading Disneywar. Anyone else read this? I read it right after it came out. A very enlightening read....
    wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    Just started reading Disneywar. Anyone else read this?
    I read it right after it came out. A very enlightening read.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

BigDan275 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Eisner was great for Disney until the later parts of the 90's and early parts of 00 when he let the parks sort of fall by the wayside and didn't offer much too us, especially DCA which was a horrible flop they are still paying for. Look how he saved the company and turned it around! Great Job, Mike.
    Disneyland Trips :14
    89 (Disneyland Hotel)
    91 (Fairfield in by Marriot)
    95 (Disneyland Hotel Suite overlooking Splash Mountain)
    96 (Hyatt Anaheim)
    98 (Anaheim Marriot)
    99 (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (new years) (Anaheim Marriot)
    00 (Anaheim Marriot)
    01 (Anaheim Hyatt, Suite)
    02 (Anaheim Hilton)
    03 (Anaheim Hilton)
    04 (Anaheim Hilton/ Huntington Beach Hyatt)
    05 (Anaheim Hilton)
    06 (Anaheim Hilton)

Disneyworld
    04 (Hyatt Grand Cypress) <nice hotel!>
    Spring 07 (Off property, Lake Suites a.k.a. Roadkill Motel) Absolutely wonderful trip!!
    Fall 07 Oct 24th-31st Coronado Springs......amazing! I miss it!!

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    Just started reading Disneywar. Anyone else read this?
    I just bought this book on ebay today. I am doing a book report on this book for my Business Law class. It sounds very interesting.

If it wasn't for Eisner, Disney would probably not the big conglomerate it is today. But, Eisner also created alot of problems that DIsney is still suffering from. I think that if he had gotten out around the late 90's, things would have been better, both for him and the company.
    Last edited by mattj4226; 10-19-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Haha now that I think of it, The Eisner/Wells relationship kind of parallels that of the Bush/Rove relationship. As soon as the latter half left, the other slowly began to sink. Thought that I might point that out!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I have very mixed feelings about Mr. Eisner. As one person put it:

Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226
    If it wasn't for Eisner, Disney would probably not the big conglomerate it is today
    I don't know whether that was a good thing or bad. It is difficult to assess because part of the problems come from becoming so corporate. Early on Eisner promised the stock holders a 20% return on their investment. At that point it became all about profit. It had to be to fulfill that promise.

There were early Eisner tributes that played up an immense ego, which I disliked.

I worked for the company under Card Walker, Ron Miller and Michael Eisner. Under the earlier management teams there was more respect for individuals as CMs.

I also disliked his attempts at taking credit for things that were already in process before he took over. Of course he takes credit for "Raiders of the Lost Ark" while working at Paramount.

Tokyo Disney, the Disney Channel, Roger Rabbit (although I am not a huge fan of this), and several other options were much more creatively being produced under the earlier managements. Tokyo Disney is not even owned by Disney but an investment on behalf of the Oriental Land Company. Touchstone was in particular Ron Miller's baby.

On the good side, during the first 10 years or so there was much turn around financially. This was necessary after the frightening green mail attempts by the likes of Saul Steinberg. The company needed to diversify in order to avoid that kind of difficulty. Michael Eisner had contacts in the celebrity world that Disney needed to create a draw like Bette Midler, Robin Williams and others.

However after Frank Wells died and Jeff Katzenberg left, things just started going south. We were discussing this one day during a show break at Voyage of the LIttle Mermaid. Someone said it certainly seemed that Michael liked being in control of everything when a fellow CM jumped up dramatically and in full imitation of Ursula bellowed out "Now I am the ruler of all the oceans! The seas obey my every whim!" then gave an evil laugh. That ended the conversation because we all started laughing so hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12