Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney films to ban smoking in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I didnt see this posted anywhere yet. Saw this on yahoo Yahoo! Movies: Movie News - How do you guys feel about this, I see it as a good thing ...
    nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

Disney films to ban smoking

I didnt see this posted anywhere yet. Saw this on yahoo Yahoo! Movies: Movie News - How do you guys feel about this, I see it as a good thing because it wont encourage smoking. Even though Walt was a smoker I dont think he would ever want to give kids the idea that it is alright.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

songvilay1 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I smoked for 16 years and have been smoke free for the last 2+ and hopefully the rest of my long life. I have never preached, nor enjoyed being preached to about my personal smoking, but when it comes to Disney's target audience, our children, nieces, nephews and young friends whom we love and trust are in good hands with a Disney movie or show, I am glad to see Disney take a proactive role in this matter. One of the reasons that I quit smoking was Walt Disney himself. After watching "Walt, the man behind the myth" (a must see for any Disney fan), I mentioned to my wife that it's a shame the world lost such a great human being to something like smoking. As I said it, I realized that I myself was doing the same to my body as Walt did to his. How much more magic would there have been if Walt lived to see his dream come to life, if he opened the doors and greeted his guests to Walt Disney World personally? The world truely lost a great human and a great dreamer. Walt Disney inspired generations and will continue to do so, but he may have also saved my life. Bravo Disney! Make Walt proud!

tomorrowland is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Personally, I am not a smoker and I am highly against it. (No offense to those who smoke) But, I think this is a phenomenal move Disney is taking. Many viewers of Disney films are children and when they see that their favorite character is puffing on a cigarette or a cigar, they might develop that habit later on in their life. Obviously, they're are going to see smoking in other places, but this is definitly a brilliant step for Disney!

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    It's terrific. Unless they are doing a documentary on lung cancer, there is no benefit of showing smoking in a movie. Often it's just a bit of business for the actors to do and a cheap way to look "cool." I think there are a lot of creative ways you can flesh out a movie character without promoting such a dangerous habit.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I'm glad, because some kids see that and think its cool beacause their fav characters arre doing it.

Good job Disney!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    I think thats good, of course some of the classic disney movies had characters smoking, but there really isn't a reason to continue to promote smoking through disney movies, good job disney!
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

It did add character to some older films. Captain Hook's double cigar, Lampwick and Pinocchio smoking in the pool hall, Cruella DeVille. If you look at all of these examples smoking is either done by villains or portrayed as a bad thing. I am glad they made this decision, just thought I'd play devils advocate, although smoking was never really glamourized in any of the films.
    Last edited by nicks10; 07-27-2007 at 05:22 PM.
    -Nick

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    That's true.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    It did add character to some older films. Captain Hook's double cigar, Lampwick and Pinocchio smoking in the pool hall, Cruella DeVille. If you look at all of these examples smoking is either done by villains or portrayed as a bad thing. I am glad they made this decision, just thought I'd play devils advocate, although smoking was never really glamourized in any of the films.
    I agree with you there, it did add character to some of the older disney films
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Im glad to hear this.

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am going to be devil's advocate here. I am not a smoker, I don't enjoy breathing in second hand smoke. I also know the dangers of it. I grew up watching many old films in which the characters smoked and did not ever feel the urge to light up. The argument that seeing your favorite character do it might cause you to do so is weak, and any surveys to try to prove it have had mixed results. That said, as long as they are doing this in a forward fashion and not trying to re-edit their older films it is fine. But a few years ago I purchased a video of Pecos Bill, the box said it was original uncut. It lied. They had deleted the whole verse about the tornado because it referenced smoking. For those of you not familiar, the verse went like this:

"Once he roped a raging cyclone out of nowhere,
    then he straddled it and settled down with ease.
    And while that cyclone bucked and flitted
    Pecos rolled a smoke and lit it.
    And he tamed that ornery wind down to a breeze.

So yippee yi ya....etc"

I thought that was pretty bad. They should have left the film standing as is. It was a cowboy thing to do, and changing the film does not change the historical context of the American legend that it is depicting. As a matter of fact it cheapens it. We often look back at history and say "Wow, they did things like that?" and we learn why it changed over time.

Films are not to be blamed, necessarily, for people's poor habits. With children there is the matter of their family and their parents in particular that are responsible, and as adults we need to take personal responsibility for our actions.

I am not advocating that films can show whatever they want and its okay, because it is not. But we can't hold the films more responsible than we hold ourselves. I don't want the Disney company to go through and censor their library. They have already tried with Song of the South and the Pecos Bill example I have shown. I think that is a real tragedy.

I agree with you there, I think its fine if they decide not to put smoking in their new films, but going back and editing all smoking references out of older films is a bit much.
    -Nick

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    Bravo!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

MiraNova23 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I agree with you there, I think its fine if they decide not to put smoking in their new films, but going back and editing all smoking references out of older films is a bit much.
    Totally agree. They're works of art, & you can't go back and change the art of the past just cuz it doesn't match the present. It represents its own time, as it should be. That reminds me, characters like Mr. Banks smoked...

& Speaking of other ways to flesh out characters, thanks a lot! Just made my job harder, lol.
    My
    (If I'm here, then I'm probably supposed to be animating instead.)

HiddenMick is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I don't think smoking in the movie's has an effect on any child. I've watched Peter Pan at least1,000,000 times and, as someone said earlier, Captain Hook smokes a double cigar in the begginning. I don't feel like smoking
    Can't run away from Trouble, ain't no place that far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast