Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss The Disney Credit Card in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; What is your opinion of the Disney Credit Card? I'm seriously considering appying for one (simply because it's disney), but I need some second opinions....
    mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder

The Disney Credit Card

What is your opinion of the Disney Credit Card? I'm seriously considering appying for one (simply because it's disney), but I need some second opinions.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Pluto'sPal is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I applied for the disney card when they first introduced the card. We love it! We save up the rewards dollars and "cash" them in for every trip. It is the only card I use so the points can really add up at times. The points usually pay for a character meal for the family or a shopping spree at downtown disney. Some times you get other good offers too for having the card. And finally, someone got a hold of my account # a few weeks ago and Chase suspected something right away and notified me right and took care of everything.

The fact that chase notifies you when there are supicious charges on your account is definitely a plus.

Although I have now way to base this theory, but wouldn't you all think that all credit cards APR would be in the 20% range? Disney's range is 14.24 to 19.24%. I would probably be in the 19.24 or more catagory since I am a full time student with no credit and no "official" job . Of course because of this, they may not even give me one. Am I right in my thinking?
    Last edited by mattj4226; 09-21-2007 at 03:02 PM.
    - Matt

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    The credit card is fine but I pay my bills off and don't pay interest fees. My rule of thumb is never buy what you can't afford to pay for in the next 30 days. I used my reward points last year for a dinner at the California Grill but honestly if you are going to end up paying interest fees then you are actually paying for the rewards (that's the way I look at it). From a financial point of view I think you should wait till you have a job and can pay your credit card off without fees. I've seen to many people (especially students) get caught in that trap and the credit card companies love to nail them to the wall. Most reputable credit card companies will notify you of suspicious activity so when you are ready to get a credit card ask them if they have that feature. I also have a Discover card and I like the cash back program better, it depends on how often you go to Disney. But don't forget on a cash back program you can use your money towards Disney or anything else you want (including paying bills!).
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Paying the bill off ASAP has always been my plan. The main reason I wanted one is for my trip in december. To my understanding, cardholders get discounts on certain things (i.e. food and merchendise) and I was trying to save every penny I could.
    - Matt

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    Paying the bill off ASAP has always been my plan. The main reason I wanted one is for my trip in december. To my understanding, cardholders get discounts on certain things (i.e. food and merchendise) and I was trying to save every penny I could.
    As far as discounts on food and merchandise there really is not that many offers but if you use the card for your trip you will also get 0% APR for 6 months, which means you have 6 months to pay the trip off in full before they start charging you with interest. My APR was very high when I first received my card, but I call them about once every 3 or 4 months and ask them to lower it. Sometimes I will threaten cancelling because I do have another card with a lower rate but I like my Disney card more. They normally will help you out. In fact the last time I called not only did the woman lower my rate she said how would you like 10 extra reward dollars as well. I was like heck yeah! Sign me up! My rate is at 14% as of now and I am content with that, but would of course love it to be lowered.
    You are right that they may not accept your application at all if this is your first card. Most companies offer special student cards for people in your sitauation that are easier to obtain and then you start building credit with them.
    As for the reward dollars, when this card was under Bank One I feel they offered more specials on rewards. I remember several times they would offer double or triple rewards on vacation purchases. I have yet to see that since it has been Chase, which is a shame because I am booking my trip on this card. I find that unless you use your card for everything you ever buy and then just pay it all off you won't get rewards quickly. I had my card for a year and only got about 10 bucks in rewards for that year. You get one dollar per $100 dollars you spend. Now that I am booking a 2 grand vacation - I will get them a little quicker. But in my experience unless you use the card for large purchases, the rewards don't add up that quickly. But then I look at it as, it's better to get something rather then nothing. There are still several cards out there that have no rewards at all.
    Do a search on this forum for Disney Visa or just the word Visa, there are several threads about this card in which we have all discussed pros and cons. They might be more helpful in case someone misses your thread.
    Last edited by Shere_Khan; 09-21-2007 at 03:45 PM.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

This thread:
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...rd-review.html

Has the best information in my opinion.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

WOW! Thank you for posting that link. I am definitely going to look around for a better deal. After reading that I don't think it's worth it. Considering that the only things I would by on a credit card is gas and school supplies (and my next WDW trip), I don't think I could earn enough reward points to justify even dealing with it. Thanks again Shere_Khan!
    - Matt

Your welcome - I mean I don't want to discourage you from it, because I do like the card myself. But I was never one to charge things like groceries or bills. I prefer to just use my checkbook for those things and it comes directly from money I actually have. It's too easy to get yourself into trouble when you charge everything.
    Like I stated I spent about 1,000 in the first year I had it and that really only gives you $10.
    Now I have never cashed in the rewards yet and this is like my 5th year having the card and then I am going to put my vacation on it. So I will have some good rewards saved up to use on my trip. I will most likely have enough to take the four of us to a dinner or maybe a few counter service meals. So it's not all bad.
    But maybe look into a card that gives more rewards like cash rewards, you could still use cash rewards at Disney.