Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Iger says "Cars" sequel a "relatively good bet" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Interesting interview with Bob Iger in Forbes that is worth a read: How To Build A Disney Franchise - Forbes.com " ...the recent Disney (nyse: DIS - news - people ...
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

Iger says "Cars" sequel a "relatively good bet"

Interesting interview with Bob Iger in Forbes that is worth a read: How To Build A Disney Franchise - Forbes.com

"...the recent Disney (nyse: DIS - news - people ) franchise that Iger believes has the greatest long-term viability may come as a bit of a surprise: the 2006 movie Cars. The film did well at the box office but was widely viewed as a creative step down from previous Pixar features like Toy Story and The Incredibles.

So why does Disney think Cars has staying power?

"We're selling more merchandise now than in the year that the film was released,'' Iger said."We've clearly struck a nerve."

As a result, Disney will be investing more in the Cars franchise. An online virtual world is in the works and it's "a relatively good bet that ultimately they'll be a sequel," he said.

Cars is also getting Disney's ultimate vote of confidence in a new franchise: the construction of a theme park attraction. "Cars Land" is scheduled to open at Disney's California Adventure park (next door to Disneyland) in 2012. A smaller Cars-themed attraction opened last year at Disneyland Resort Paris and "I'm fairly certain you'll see more creativity and investment in terms of physical attractions at our parks [related to] that franchise,'' Iger said.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

My boys will be thrilled to hear about this!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I always thought Cars would have struck a chord with Nascar/Racing fans, Route 66 fans, car enthusiasts, etc.

So in a way, I'm not surprised to hear how well the merchandise is doing. I am surprised they are contemplating a sequel.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    It's actually funny to read Iger making this point because my husband I were just discussing this last week. The movie has been out nearly 2 years but it's just now that my son is going nuts for it. He's leaving his Nemo phase and moving into Cars phase. He watches the DVD at least once a day and has 3 Lightning Chairs, a Mater Chair, Lightning Slippers, Lightning Crocs, Lightning and Sally "Matchbox Style" Cars and a coloring book. The merchandising has definitely worked in our house!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I think they hit it just right in the character design - they translate so well to so many kinds of merchandise. I buy things for my son, but half the time it's because I'm the one who thinks it looks cool/fun/cute/whatever.

I'm not surprised they'll aim for a sequel - probably right in time for Cars Land to open in 2012, but I am surprised they haven't made an animated series yet. Both Cars and The Incredibles characters would have been great Saturday Morning shows.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    I am surprised they haven't made an animated series yet. Both Cars and The Incredibles characters would have been great Saturday Morning shows.
    Yeah but they'd translate them into "real" animation instead of leaving them in their Pixar forms and it would kill the appeal I think.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Yeah but they'd translate them into "real" animation instead of leaving them in their Pixar forms and it would kill the appeal I think.
    How was the Buzz Lightyear cartoon series received? I didn't watch it, so I have no clue.

The reason I wasn't expecting a sequel to Cars is because Pixar generally doesn't do sequels. And when they did, they did it for the immensely popular with wide audience appeal Toy Story series. I even have non-Disney friends who love Toy Story.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    How was the Buzz Lightyear cartoon series received? I didn't watch it, so I have no clue.
    Funny you ask, it was that particular one I was thinking of when I made the comment. Personally, I'm not a fan. They re-run it on the Disney Toon channel. The animation is very "Saturday Morning Cartoon" (if that makes any sense). It was the same with the LIttle Mermaid but at least in that case the original film was also "inked".

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Funny you ask, it was that particular one I was thinking of when I made the comment. Personally, I'm not a fan. They re-run it on the Disney Toon channel. The animation is very "Saturday Morning Cartoon" (if that makes any sense). It was the same with the LIttle Mermaid but at least in that case the original film was also "inked".
    Well, that's sad. I'm of the generation when Saturday Morning Cartoons was "prime time" for children's television. The best television made cartoons were produced and broadcasted during this time. Nowadays, the Saturday Morning Cartoons are well....just not as good....sad...I guess cable and DVD and other options kinda killed it?

I did watch Lilo and Stitch cartoon series. I really enjoyed that one partly because it kept the same "look." Jimmy Neutron still uses computer animation for their television series that got started with their movie....don't they? So if Cars was developed into a cartoon series, it could still retain some of the original charm with the computer animation Pixar is so well known for...
    Amanda