Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney Suing Family for Infringment in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I got this from WDW News Today: From Local6.com : CLERMONT, Fla. — Disney has filed a million-dollar copyright infringement lawsuit against a Clermont couple over costumes resembling Tigger and ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Exclamation Disney Suing Family for Infringment

I got this from WDW News Today:

From Local6.com:
    CLERMONT, Fla. — Disney has filed a million-dollar copyright infringement lawsuit against a Clermont couple over costumes resembling Tigger and Eeyore.

David and Marisol Perez-Chaveco about two years ago created their own company, Kool Klowns, which offers face painting, inflatable houses and costumed characters at parties.

“I don’t want to be on welfare all my life. I wanted to be something, make something of ourselves and get on our feet,” Marisol Perez-Chaveco said.

The couple paid more than $500 for costumes on eBay from a company in Peru and advertised the characters online.

“We bought two characters that to me is an orange tiger and a blue donkey,” Marisol Perez-Chaveco said.

About a week later, Disney wrote the couple a letter, claiming the costumes were unauthorized reproductions of Tigger and Eeyore. In the letter, Disney made seven demands, and the couple complied, Local 6 News reported.

“We removed the listing from Craigslist, removed the listing from MySpace (and) every advertisement on our Web site,” Marisol Perez-Chaveco said.

But instead of sending the costumes to Disney for destruction, the couple returned them to Peru for a refund.

Disney officials said they had no comment on the lawsuit.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Wow, there is a big difference between an orange tiger and a Tigger, and a huge difference between a "blue donkey" and Eeyore. Sounds like they knew what they were doing, and got caught. Cheaters never win.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Thanks, Adam, you always have the news for us.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    The guy who they brought the costumes should get in trouble.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I'm thinking what brought this to the attention of the Disney Co. was the fact that the people were using it with their party entertainment business. If they'd bought the costumes for non-business related reasons, it would have gone under the radar. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney doesn't go after the manufacturer too. That won't make the news, however, since it probably happens all the time.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfanatic101 View Post
    The guy who they brought the costumes should get in trouble.
    Yes they should but tracking down any interent sales company into another country is difficult and the laws in Peru may allow the replication or a character, whereas the US has very strict safeguards. Not fair, but that is the way it is.

I agree with Mini-V though, they very well may have already gotten the manufacturer, we just would not know about it. Disney is very proactive in protecting their properties-intellectual and otherwise.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Ya mean like this Eeyore wannabe?????????
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...&pictureid=492
    This is the local child development group. They are going to give the poor kids more issues then they already have. YEESH!
    They have a plethora of very strange and weird looking kinda - characters. The Shrek one just scared the poop outta me. And last year for the parade Mickey had (how shall I put this on a family friendly board??).....large gazangas. NOT KIDDING! I am talking Mickey here, not Minnie

At least the kid in the pic is a cutie...not that I am biased or anything.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

ChrisX is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Disney has always been very protective of their copyrights especially their characters and rightfully so.

For the most part I think Disney's mindset is that if you want our characters, come to our parks. So it makes sense that they would not allow third party companies to use knock offs of their characters. Not to mention those costumes looked downright scary.

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    they paid more thab 500 bucks for those costumes??? they got ripped off!!!

PolynesianMedic is offline Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic
    Yes they did. I am also of the belief that I am glad that Disney is doing this. Maybe these people out there will learn. Aw who am I kidding, of course they won't
    My Blog
    My Photo's

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder
    Yea, I agree with Disney on this one.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Disney Suing Family for Infringment

I do not think it was right to bring it to court but it also was not right to steal characters.

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Disney Suing Family for Infringment

Quote Originally Posted by penguinmickdis1 View Post
    I do not think it was right to bring it to court but it also was not right to steal characters.
    They had to bring it to court. I cant state the specific law but basically they have to sue everybody or else they cant sue anybody for the copyright infringment. Now before they sue they can send a cease and decise as a warning so they dont have to sue which I bekieve they did but the family continued using the characters anyways so the Walt Disney Company had to sue. So although it seems harsh that Walt Disney Company was suing a small family buisness, its what had to be done.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?"

thepurplefoldercp.blogspot.com