Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney to dump Fifth Avenue spot in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; August 08. 2008 2:01PM Disney to dump Fifth Avenue spot The company cited high rent as the reason for its decision not to renew a lease at the Fifth Avenue ...
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

Disney to dump Fifth Avenue spot

August 08. 2008 2:01PM
    The company cited high rent as the reason for its decision not to renew a lease at the Fifth Avenue World of Disney store, considered Disney's flagship retail spot.

By Adrianne Pasquarelli

Walt Disney Co. announced Friday that it will not renew its lease for its World of Disney store at 711 Fifth Ave. when it expires in 2010 because of hefty rent increases.

The entertainment conglomerate notified its 220 store employees, called “cast members,” Thursday and Friday that it will be leaving its current 36,000-square-foot space, Disney’s only Manhattan location.

“The Disney Stores are going to be reviewing other potential locations in the Manhattan retail market,” said spokesperson John Nicoletti.

Speculation abounds for the company’s Big Apple relocation. Some in the real estate industry expect Disney to move to an even more tourist-laden area like SoHo or Times Square. The company formerly operated a retail store on 42nd Street and Seventh Avenue, a space which has since become a Champs store.

Robin Abrams, a Lansco Corp. broker and former chairwoman of the retail committee for the Real Estate Board of New York, expects Disney to favor Times Square over SoHo.

“For the most part, [Disney’s] customers are comprised of families and kids—in SoHo, you get a lot of teens and adults who are probably not as provoked to go in and buy a Mickey Mouse shirt,” said Ms. Abrams.

Even a company of Disney’s magnitude is not immune to the current economic downturn. For the nine months ended June 28, Disney reported a 3.8% drop in net income, compared with the same period a year before. Revenue for the nine-month-period ending June 28 increased 6.8%.

Disney to dump Fifth Avenue spot - Crain's New York Business

torg0 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Did I hear someone say

"final NYC DS Trip"?

I'm in!

Mike

Now I really have to get to NYC!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Toad's Buddy is offline Fastpass Holder
    Me too!
    Have a Great, Big, Beautiful Today!

Toad's Buddy

"No more Laserdiscs for you, Grandpa!"

torg0 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    Now I really have to get to NYC!!
    So, let's do this!

Let's plan a NYC meet.

Anyone else interested?

Mike

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    August 08. 2008 2:01PM
    The company cited high rent as the reason for its decision not to renew a lease at the Fifth Avenue World of Disney store, considered Disney's flagship retail spot.

By Adrianne Pasquarelli

Walt Disney Co. announced Friday that it will not renew its lease for its World of Disney store at 711 Fifth Ave. when it expires in 2010 because of hefty rent increases.

The entertainment conglomerate notified its 220 store employees, called “cast members,” Thursday and Friday that it will be leaving its current 36,000-square-foot space, Disney’s only Manhattan location.

“The Disney Stores are going to be reviewing other potential locations in the Manhattan retail market,” said spokesperson John Nicoletti.

Speculation abounds for the company’s Big Apple relocation. Some in the real estate industry expect Disney to move to an even more tourist-laden area like SoHo or Times Square. The company formerly operated a retail store on 42nd Street and Seventh Avenue, a space which has since become a Champs store.

Robin Abrams, a Lansco Corp. broker and former chairwoman of the retail committee for the Real Estate Board of New York, expects Disney to favor Times Square over SoHo.

“For the most part, [Disney’s] customers are comprised of families and kids—in SoHo, you get a lot of teens and adults who are probably not as provoked to go in and buy a Mickey Mouse shirt,” said Ms. Abrams.

Even a company of Disney’s magnitude is not immune to the current economic downturn. For the nine months ended June 28, Disney reported a 3.8% drop in net income, compared with the same period a year before. Revenue for the nine-month-period ending June 28 increased 6.8%.

Disney to dump Fifth Avenue spot - Crain's New York Business
    oh no, this is not good news at all, I this particular store
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by torg0 View Post
    So, let's do this!

Let's plan a NYC meet.

Anyone else interested?

Mike
    I was just saying to Pat we need to go to the city again. I'm craving some Jrs. Cheesecake!

I'm in...got my metro card all ready!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I can't believe the store was originally about 4 blocks from my old apartment. Man, I'd have applied for a job there in a NY minute if the store had been there in 1999. Hopefully it's just a relocation move and not a total closing. Since the store isn't moving/closing till 2010, those of you heading out to shop should be able to get in a few trips to the store.
    Last edited by mini-V; 08-09-2008 at 12:04 PM.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Well, shucks.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    That shoots down any idea of doing a shooping weekend in NYC. Thats the only store we don't have in Buffalo anymore

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I'm in for a meet! Don't think we have to rush, it does say they are not renewing the lease when it expires in 2010. Think you can find a time to come down in the next 14 or so months, Kellie?

Over a year or so ago, when Children's Place owned the regular Disney Stores (World of Disney is different, and is operated by Disney Parks & Resorts), the Children's Place realized they were in trouble with the Disney Stores, and renegotiated their deal. In that renegotiated contract, there was a clause about Disney being allowed to move their NYC store. So I think they have been looking at doing this for some time.

I'd be curious to know why they made such an announcement to their CM's now. They don't just do these things randomly.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    When I went to NYC for my graduation trip last year ( six months after my first NYC trip...I'm spoiled), I made my friend, who is also a Disney nut, PROMISE to drage me out before I spent to much money. I bought three pins. Two as gifts, one for myself. That place rocks!
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

ChrisX is offline B-Ticket Holder
    The World of Disney is definitely a cool and unique store. I particularly like the third floor with all the art work and "fancier" Disney items, not to mention the Character Meet and Greets that take place there.

Interesting to see where the new store will end up and why as Pat pointed out they made the announcement so early to the workers. Hopefully it comes back bigger and even better!!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Hopefully, the new store will be bigger. Although, that still won't alleviate the crowds on a Saturday in Manhattan.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

flutter is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by torg0 View Post
    So, let's do this!

Let's plan a NYC meet.

Anyone else interested?

Mike
    Me Me I wanna go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast