Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney Magazine TERMINATED! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by yensid1071 If they follow thru on this, it's really sad that they'd scrap a publication that has been around for 40 years and had such a loyal ...
  1. #31
    DisneyonaDime's Avatar
    DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by yensid1071
    If they follow thru on this, it's really sad that they'd scrap a publication that has been around for 40 years and had such a loyal market. It's a tool that allows them to advertise to a perfect demographic: their customers. Ads in other magazines would be more hit and miss, but they know exactly who is getting it with this magazine. And if it *is* losing money, many companies have a loss-leader where they take a small hit in order to boost another segment of their business. This mag only helps promote the parks, movies, video, etc.
    I totally agree Jay. I don't think that the magazine was ever designed to be a money-making machine. Its purpose is to promote and draw new business. As with any marketing and advertising project, it is tough to know if you are getting a return on advertising. Spending money on TV commercials is in and of itself a waste of money if you look at it as a simple profit/loss situation. Unless you have traceable coupons, discount codes, etc.. it is impossible to track what advertising actually brings back to the company, especially something that is repetitive as a magazine. Disney Magazine could prompt consumers to go to the parks, buy more movies, go to DisneyDirect, go to the Disney Store, or even buy their merchandise at Wal-mart. It is tough to guage a tool like Disney Magazine on a spreadsheet and if you do, it's a big mistake.

    Thanks for the link. I'll voice my concerns ASAP. Hopefully, this will never get further than an idea. I'm sure there are alternatives.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

  2. #32
    sx2143's Avatar
    sx2143 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    90
    one of my problems with the Disney Insider newsletter is that I often don't get it. I keep sighing up, then I get it a few times then it stops. I know with Disney magazine, I will actually get it and I can take it with me places to read.

  3. #33
    disneydame2004's Avatar
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by yensid1071
    I found out that you can send a note to the magazine to express your thoughts. I know subscribers can use it, but am not sure about non-subscribers. The link to the site is HERE . You can also send an email to the company directly. I know I'll send in a note saying I think they need to keep it around! The bigger the response they get, the more it will get their attention that they need to keep it!!
    Thanks for posting that link, yensid! I made sure to give them a piece of my mind today.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator




    Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

  4. #34
    GrumpyDude's Avatar
    GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    Even the big firms and MBA’s gauge a stock’s worth by investor’s perception, changing of CEOs, and other non profit-based measures. By the way, not all MBAs think about the bottom line. I try to look at other things.
    don't believe the liberal media hype, it all comes back to money in the end.

    if public perception is so huge, why are Playboy, Anheuser-Busch, and Philip Morris still listed on the big board? smut, alcohol, and tobacco, yeah they have such a positive public image.

    and, Disney is no more scrutinized then any other company out there. there are legions of gamers out there who religiously follow Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo in order to determine stability and vesting in their next generation hardware. There networkers sitting back watching SAP and Oracle to see what bantering they are getting into next. and, how much money are in pharmaceuticals? you're going to tell me with a straight face that Disney is more scrutinized then Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, or Bristol Myers Squibb?

    i know you guys are attached to Disney and to the magazine and that it is important to you. but, if it was that important to everyone, there would be about another 2 billion posts in here. bottom line, the magazine is delivered to a niche market.

    because you are no longer getting the magazine, are you going to stop going to Disney and spending money on their products?

    my point exactly!

    now, before i get flamed, i'm not supporting the cancelation, to be honest i never read the magazine and could care less either way. DisneyonaDime made some comments about the business side of this which i strongly disagree with. there is no loss of Disney's consumer base by discontinuing the magazine, so if it is not making money......

    retain your consumers, and stop the profit loss, sounds like a win-win scenario to me.
    Last edited by GrumpyDude; 04-16-2005 at 11:25 AM.

  5. #35
    DisneyonaDime's Avatar
    DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    don't believe the liberal media hype, it all comes back to money in the end.

    if public perception is so huge, why are Playboy, Anheuser-Busch, and Philip Morris still listed on the big board? smut, alcohol, and tobacco, yeah they have such a positive public image.

    and, Disney is no more scrutinized then any other company out there. there are legions of gamers out there who religiously follow Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo in order to determine stability and vesting in their next generation hardware. There networkers sitting back watching SAP and Oracle to see what bantering they are getting into next. and, how much money are in pharmaceuticals? you're going to tell me with a straight face that Disney is more scrutinized then Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, or Bristol Myers Squibb?

    i know you guys are attached to Disney and to the magazine and that it is important to you. but, if it was that important to everyone, there would be about another 2 billion posts in here. bottom line, the magazine is delivered to a niche market.

    because you are no longer getting the magazine, are you going to stop going to Disney and spending money on their products?

    my point exactly!

    now, before i get flamed, i'm not supporting the cancelation, to be honest i never read the magazine and could care less either way. DisneyonaDime made some comments about the business side of this which i strongly disagree with. there is no loss of Disney's consumer base by discontinuing the magazine, so if it is not making money......

    retain your consumers, and stop the profit loss, sounds like a win-win scenario to me.
    Somebody get Snow White and calm this guy down.

    I think you missed the point in some of the posts. I made a brief comment about public image does affect stock and a can of worms was opened. Come on Grumpy Dude, tell us how you really feel.

    The main reason people aren't chiming in is because most of us here are just Disney fans. We don't come here to argue over the solvency of Disney or other trivial things like that. There are plenty of other boards out there that would love to here this type of thing, but here people just want to dicuss; not debate.

    Yes, profit is important, but it isn't everything. People and institutions do look at perception of companies. I work for Procter and Gamble and we are scrutinized up and down by Wall Street and the like. One of our biggest issues we deal with is public perception. Several years ago a group claimed that P&G was run by satanist, our stock dropped hard. Lately there was a campaign put out that professed P&G was in support of Gay Marriage and it hurt us. I'm not so naive as to think that profit isn't 95% of the picture, but perception is part of the picture.

    Let's not bore everybody with Financial Philosophy 101. If you want to email me, feel free and we can discuss this offline (chris@disneyonadime.com). I think you are missing the point of using the magazine as a marketing tool and how if you look at it as P&L, you are missing the boat.

    If I have offended you in any way, I'm sorry. Take deep breaths, everything is going to be OK.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

  6. #36
    GrumpyDude's Avatar
    GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    Somebody get Snow White and calm this guy down.

    I think you missed the point in some of the posts. I made a brief comment about public image does affect stock and a can of worms was opened. Come on Grumpy Dude, tell us how you really feel.

    The main reason people aren't chiming in is because most of us here are just Disney fans. We don't come here to argue over the solvency of Disney or other trivial things like that. There are plenty of other boards out there that would love to here this type of thing, but here people just want to dicuss; not debate.

    Yes, profit is important, but it isn't everything. People and institutions do look at perception of companies. I work for Procter and Gamble and we are scrutinized up and down by Wall Street and the like. One of our biggest issues we deal with is public perception. Several years ago a group claimed that P&G was run by satanist, our stock dropped hard. Lately there was a campaign put out that professed P&G was in support of Gay Marriage and it hurt us. I'm not so naive as to think that profit isn't 95% of the picture, but perception is part of the picture.

    Let's not bore everybody with Financial Philosophy 101. If you want to email me, feel free and we can discuss this offline (chris@disneyonadime.com). I think you are missing the point of using the magazine as a marketing tool and how if you look at it as P&L, you are missing the boat.

    If I have offended you in any way, I'm sorry. Take deep breaths, everything is going to be OK.
    you say i need to calm down? no hostilities here, just keeping it real. all i was doing was defending my initial point, that from a business stand point dropping the magazine isn't a bad thing and i can understand there decision, coming from my knowledge of working in the securities/financial services world.

    in my business, i see a lot of misinformed people dive into stuff and get burned, and it drives me nuts (probably where my tension came from). i've watched a lot of people lose a lot of money, which they couldn't really aford to lose, on bad information. the reason the bonehead brokers make so much money is because investing is made out to be this archaic language that is over complicated so that you run to these no-good used car salesman and take their "advice", when actually all you are doing is opening your bank account to them and saying "help yourself".

    i do apologize, like i said, my line of work i've seen people get drained again and again and i try to take every opportunity i can to show how relatively simple investing is as long as you stick with the basics. in the end, rule #1 corporate profits drive the markets.

    i guess i got a little hot because i just thought of someone reading your comment and thinking "hmm, that's a good point, i should buy/sell some Disney now".

    and, yes, i do hold a few shares of Disney in my personal account, as well as in my daughters account.

    again, no harm, no foul, big hug and back to work.

  7. #37
    disneydame2004's Avatar
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,677
    Well, hopefully, all this fretting has been for naught. This is the response I received from the Disney Magazine customer service link posted above (DIScustserv@cdsfulfillment.com):

    "At this time there are no plans of Disney Magazine ceasing publication. You should receive your Summer 2005 issue like normal.

    Disney Magazine
    Jennifer"
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator




    Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

  8. #38
    GrumpyDude's Avatar
    GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Posts
    5,646
    that's just great DisneyDame, just when i got my assault rifle cleaned up and found the perfect tree about 50 yards away from DisneyonaDime's house you come back wit....

    uhm, i mean, hey, that's great news!

    DonaD, only playing, no assault rifle, just my binoculars. oh, do you mind trimming the hedges by the bathroom window a bit? thanks.

  9. #39
    DisneyonaDime's Avatar
    DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    that's just great DisneyDame, just when i got my assault rifle cleaned up and found the perfect tree about 50 yards away from DisneyonaDime's house you come back wit....

    uhm, i mean, hey, that's great news!

    DonaD, only playing, no assault rifle, just my binoculars. oh, do you mind trimming the hedges by the bathroom window a bit? thanks.
    New Shopping List:
    - Go to Lowes and buy bigger hedges.
    - Put up 10 ft privacy fence.
    - Cut down the tree 50 yards behind the house.
    - Invest in team of pit bulls.
    - Send GrumpyDude some flowers.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

  10. #40
    MickeyBabe's Avatar
    MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Second star to the right...
    Posts
    3,950
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    New Shopping List:
    - Go to Lowes and buy bigger hedges.
    - Put up 10 ft privacy fence.
    - Cut down the tree 50 yards behind the house.
    - Invest in team of pit bulls.
    - Send GrumpyDude some flowers.

    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*


    I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

    One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

  11. #41
    Lou Mongello's Avatar
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    9,582
    People.. people!!!! Come ON now!!!!

    Get things into perspective for goodness sake!!!!

    Don't you realize that the final Star Wars movie opens at Midnight tonight!!!!

    Priortize!!!!


    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42


  12. #42
    Lou Mongello's Avatar
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    9,582
    BTW... You guys are hilarious. Ever think about going on tour together?
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42


  13. #43
    crashbunny's Avatar
    crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,044
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    People.. people!!!! Come ON now!!!!

    Get things into perspective for goodness sake!!!!

    Don't you realize that the final Star Wars movie opens at Midnight tonight!!!!

    Priortize!!!!



    thanks for straighten out our priorities Lou- we needed that

    cant wait for the movie!!!

  14. #44
    MickeyBabe's Avatar
    MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Second star to the right...
    Posts
    3,950
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    Well, hopefully, all this fretting has been for naught. This is the response I received from the Disney Magazine customer service link posted above (DIScustserv@cdsfulfillment.com):

    "At this time there are no plans of Disney Magazine ceasing publication. You should receive your Summer 2005 issue like normal.

    Disney Magazine
    Jennifer"

    Does this mean I can suscribe now?

    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*


    I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

    One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

  15. #45
    disneydame2004's Avatar
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe
    Does this mean I can suscribe now?

    I'd still wait a little longer - too many people have heard differently than "jennifer"s response to me. I hope she is correct, though.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator




    Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •