Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss "Secret Lives" documentary on Walt Disney in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Just finished watching this on youtube and wondered if anybody watched this and how accurate it is. I know the parts about him being a tough boss, his thoughts on ...
    Pluto40 is offline A-Ticket holder

"Secret Lives" documentary on Walt Disney

Just finished watching this on youtube and wondered if anybody watched this and how accurate it is. I know the parts about him being a tough boss, his thoughts on communists and the rumours about his views on race but something I had never heard before was about his "dealing" with some guy named Willie Bioff to put an end to the animators strike. And also did he really develop nervous ticks like washing his hands 30 times in a hour? Interesting stuff, kinda came off like they were out to get him a little. Don't flame on me for bringing this up cause this isn't your typical Walt Disney Treasures documentary on Walt. If your afaid that this may change your views about him, I wouldn't watch it. Again, I don't know how accurate this is.

Landon

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Re: "Secret Lives" documentary on Walt Disney

I have never seen it. Maybe Tiggerguy or Lou can answer this one.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

If you want to know about "the other side" of Walt, there is an interesting book called
    Walt Disney: Hollywood's Dark Prince, by Mark Eliot. I think it's out of print but still available, used, at Amazon. I read and enjoyed this book but some are very angry this book even exists.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I did not watch, but have read some very critical books on WDW in general like "Married to the Mouse" which I think tend to look for the negative aspect and fail to highlight the positiive aspects that WDW has brought to the Orlando area. Would love to read more positive books on WDW development, but apparently negative is the way to sell. What was it Thumper's father said?

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto40 View Post
    Just finished watching this on youtube and wondered if anybody watched this and how accurate it is. I know the parts about him being a tough boss, his thoughts on communists and the rumours about his views on race but something I had never heard before was about his "dealing" with some guy named Willie Bioff to put an end to the animators strike. And also did he really develop nervous ticks like washing his hands 30 times in a hour? Interesting stuff, kinda came off like they were out to get him a little. Don't flame on me for bringing this up cause this isn't your typical Walt Disney Treasures documentary on Walt. If your afaid that this may change your views about him, I wouldn't watch it. Again, I don't know how accurate this is.

Landon
    I always take both sides with a grain of salt. The rosy picture of Walt is too perfect, and the evil boss picture is too harsh. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth. The question is where do these claims come from? Who actually witnessed Walt wash his hands 30 times? I think everyone needs to understand that he was a human being with flaws. We all have them. But as far as him being a bit eccentric or obsessive? I would believe that to be quite true. Most geniuses have a lot of tics and habits.
    Tim

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Do you have the link to this video so we can check it out?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Pluto40 is offline A-Ticket holder

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I always take both sides with a grain of salt. The rosy picture of Walt is too perfect, and the evil boss picture is too harsh. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth. The question is where do these claims come from? Who actually witnessed Walt wash his hands 30 times? I think everyone needs to understand that he was a human being with flaws. We all have them. But as far as him being a bit eccentric or obsessive? I would believe that to be quite true. Most geniuses have a lot of tics and habits.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
    I'm in the middle of reading my second full-blown Disney biography, having read some smaller ones in other books and online.
    The first one is 'Disney's World' by Leonard Mosley and the second is 'Walt Disney: The Triumph of The American Imagination' by Neal Gabler.
    I'm right in the middle of the fever pitch of Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's production in the latter book.
    Yep. Bottom line... He was human. An extemely imaginative, creative and oftentimes over-the-top self-driven one, but human nonetheless.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!

Hmm... very well put I should say!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
    I'm in the middle of reading my second full-blown Disney biography, having read some smaller ones in other books and online.
    The first one is 'Disney's World' by Leonard Mosley and the second is 'Walt Disney: The Triumph of The American Imagination' by Neal Gabler.
    I'm right in the middle of the fever pitch of Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's production in the latter book.
    Yep. Bottom line... He was human. An extemely imaginative, creative and oftentimes over-the-top self-driven one, but human nonetheless.
    Absolutely! And if we want to, we can pick any human being apart and make them look bad. If a production team wanted to make Mother Theresa look bad they could do it. Even Walt himself lamented his too perfect image on occasion. He complained he could never make a deep, serious, dramatic movie because the public would never allow it. In one of his movies the star (Fred Macmurray) is approached by a prostitute and Walt caught **** for it. When you are the face of an entire entity that survives on wholesome, family, squeaky clean entertainment, your image is critical to its' success. And digging up dirty laundry on someone so wholesome is what the public likes to see. So any simple human flaw that Walt had is turned into him being evil and psycho when in fact he was a workaholic who lived with chronic pain for much of his adult life, went bankrupt, fought for years to succeed agaginst all odds and pioneered almost every advancement in entertainment and animation over the last century. I'd be a little crabby at times too if the weight of his world was on my shoulders.
    Tim