Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney Catalog Outlet Stores on Auction Block in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I was talking to a Cast Member at the Catalog Outlet Store in Branson yesterday and was informed that the Catalog Retail Division was going to be sold or closed. ...
    DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator

Disney Catalog Outlet Stores on Auction Block

I was talking to a Cast Member at the Catalog Outlet Store in Branson yesterday and was informed that the Catalog Retail Division was going to be sold or closed. She said that they were informed last week that they would know something in 30 to 60 days. Either way, she would no longer be an employee of Disney. She was bummed about it because of the loss of vacation benefits.

This probably doesn't affect a lot of people since there aren't a lot of these stores around, but it could affect us because we frequent the store in Branson at least every couple of months.

She said that the only suitor right now was Children's Place (the same company that bought the Disney Stores). I hope that they can work something out and keep these great discount resources alive and well.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

BigPigletFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    I don't know about the outlet stores but the other stores that Disney sold that The Children's Place bought is starting to and has opened their own outlets. So maybe they will follow suit.
    "it's a small world" fan site: www.HappiestCruise.com

I spoke with a CM at the Disney Catalog Outlet store in Branson over the weekend and he said that the Children's Place did officially buy the chain of Disney Catalog Outlet stores (this is a totally seperate division than the Disney Stores). In about a month the stores will close for a week and will then reopen as The Disney Store Outlet.

There won't be a lot of changes except for the name and owners. A big tip that I do want to pass along is that over the next month most of their inventory will be on clearance! When I was there everything was already 40-50% off and they will be taking stuff down even more. If you live near a Disney Catalog Outlet store, plan on making some trips over the next couple of weeks. A big shipment of SnowGlobes should be coming in this week. If I hear of anything else, I'll pass it along.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    how can we find if there is one near us?

I haven't heard of one in GA - but you never know.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    ARGH!!!!!! With Children's Place in charge, there goes the DVC discount I used to get. Sigh... Oh well.

Here are some locations for the Disney Catalog Outlet Stores:

Delaware, Rehoboth Beach
    Tanger Outlet Center

Missouri, Branson
    Tanger Factory Outlet Center

South Carolina
    Jonesville Factory Outlet * Only open Tuesday through Saturday*

Tennessee, Sevierville
    Tanger Center Five Oaks

Texas, San Marcos
    Tanger Factory Outlet Center

Virginia, Woodbridge
    Potomac Mills
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

BigPigletFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    ARGH!!!!!! With Children's Place in charge, there goes the DVC discount I used to get. Sigh... Oh well.
    Yes, there is no longer a DVC discount at the stores and let me explain why.

Disney employees still get a discount at the store because DISNEY PAYS FOR IT. So, say they save $3 on their purchase. The store sends that information to Disney and Disney then pays back the store. The employee gets the discount but the company pays for it. Make sense?

Well, this was the same way with DVC since it is a Disney owned program and Disney decided to stop paying for this expense also. So please do not get upset with The Disney Stores/The Children's Place for a decision that The Walt Disney Company made. The only way to turn this over would be to directly contact DVC as a member and share with them how you feel.
    "it's a small world" fan site: www.HappiestCruise.com

Yes, I know our Disney Store discount was yanked away months ago. A lot DVC members knew before it was even announced by DVC. At the same time, I haven't been down to Rehoboth Beach, DE in months either to check out their Disney Catalog Outlet. I've been hearing conflicting information from other DVCers regarding discounts at the Catalog Outlets. The final nail in that DVC discount coffin was Children's Place possibly taking over the Catalog Outlet too.

It was fun, but now it's done.
    Amanda

Well I visited the Disney Catalog Outlet for the last time this past weekend. Despite the store being very picked over, we still managed to pick up some bargains and get the DVC discount. DH got a 20K globe diorama thingy pretty cheap. I picked up some PJs and a tote.

I'm not really looking forward to the Disney Store Outlet it will morphing into when it reopens in September under The Children's Place. Mainly because the Disney Stores in the malls currently doesn't offer much merchandise of interest to me; and I won't get my discount anymore. Sigh... I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that Disney website now for "disney catalog and park outlet" merchandise and pay for shipping. It was fun while it lasted...

If you have a Disney Catalog Outlet near you, GO NOW!!! There wasn't too much left this weekend at the one in Rehoboth Beach, DE.
    Amanda

We hit the one in Branson over the weekend and it too was picked over. Only half of the store had merchandise and the back half was completely empty. I think they moved a lot of stuff into the back and might be bringing stuff out in waves. All we saw when we went were softlines and a couple of globes and things that have been on clearance for a long time. I looked in the back room and there were tons of lamps, toys and home furnishings. They might be trying to stretch their inventory in order to last until August 13th (closing day).

I agree with you Amanda and I'm not looking forward to the new setup. According to a lot of the Disney Store and now Disney Store Outlet managers, clearance items will not be offered in the Disney Stores anymore and the only merchandise that will filter into the Disney Outlet Store are leftovers and clearance items from the regular Disney Store. Unless you need more T-shirts and beenies, there won't be a great selection. I really enjoyed our Disney Catalog Outlet because you could find those unique items like bedding, nice snowglobes, adult clothes, etc...

Change is inevitable... unfortunately
    Chris
    www.DisneyonaDime.com