Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney Store Reboot in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hi everyone, Just read an article on AppleInsider.com that talks about some changes being brought about to the Disney Store thanks to information from Steve Jobs. (I'd post the link ...
    frenchie is offline A-Ticket holder

Disney Store Reboot

Hi everyone,

Just read an article on AppleInsider.com that talks about some changes being brought about to the Disney Store thanks to information from Steve Jobs. (I'd post the link but not enough posts yet). Looks like Disney is going to do some major updates to their retail stores. Now can they come back to Maine? Please!!

Here's a quick copy and paste from the article...again, credit goes to AppleInsider and the New York Times...

According to The New York Times, Disney plans to reboot its 340 stores in the U.S. and Europe, and will open new retail locations, with one potential flagship site in Times Square. The goal: Create more of an "experience" than a store. To achieve that, the company has reportedly turned to a member of its board of directors, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

"For the first time, Mr. Jobs's fingerprints can be seen on Disney strategy, in the same way that he influenced the look and feel of Apple’s own immensely popular retail chain," the report said. "While Mr. Jobs did not personally toil on the Imagination Park concept, he pushed Disney to move far past a refurbishment."

Jobs reportedly told Disney executives to "dream bigger," and provided access to proprietary information about how Apple has developed and operated its own retail locations. Following his instructions, Apple created a full-scale prototype store inside an unmarked warehouse in Glendale, Calif.

"Disney will adopt Apple touches like mobile checkout (employees will carry miniature receipt printers in their aprons) and the emphasis on community (Disney’s theater idea is an extension of Apple's lecture spaces)," the report said. "The focus on interactivity -- parents will be able to book a Disney Cruise on touch-screen kiosks while their children play -- reflects an Apple hallmark. Employees can use iPhones to control those high-tech trees."
    Last edited by frenchie; 10-13-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added article

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Disney Store Reboot

Looks like that will improve the experience.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

But will the merchandise change? I'm all for the 'experience' part, but they need to not make the experience for 3-7 year olds only..
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

DVC5571 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    But will the merchandise change? I'm all for the 'experience' part, but they need to not make the experience for 3-7 year olds only..

I could not agree more. I want to spend money there all the time. But I dont need toys. I will admit the t-shirts there are better. It must be the Hanes agreement they they supply the blank T's for them. I actually bought 2 a couple of months ago and they still fit after the washing.
    Twitter - @DVC5571

Previous and Upcoming WDW Trips
    04 - Offsite - 30th birtday!
    05 - Offsite - Honeymoon
    07 - On Site - POP Century
    10 - On Site - Coronado Springs - Moderate

DanceWaterDance is offline C-Ticket Holder

I hope that things will cange in the Disney store near me. It's always plagued with Disney Channel merchandise. Which is great to for the 'tweens', but it's very off-putting for me. My mum used to like getting slippers with Eeyore on them, but thay don't seem to sell anything to appeal to adults anymore.
    There are more Zac Efrons than Mickey Mouses int he entire shop. And that's sad - wasn't it all started with a mouse?

SuzyQ is offline C-Ticket Holder

That will be cool! I also hope that there will be more adult clothing - our Disney Store has a few items here and there, but I know that they would get more of my dollars if they had more adult clothing or housewares.
    Suzy
    suzy@mousefantravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. ~Walt Disney
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

DanceWaterDance is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. ~Walt Disney
    I second that.