Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Anti-Epic Mickey in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Reply here if you hate the idea of making mickey "naughty!...
    rowenr98 is offline A-Ticket holder

Anti-Epic Mickey

Reply here if you hate the idea of making mickey "naughty!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    -Walt Disney

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Anti-Epic Mickey

I agree. I really liked what Van had to say on the Netcot podcast, not trying to promote another guys podcast on Lou's site, but what he said made sense. Mickey should be like a good will ambassador for Disney, and Disney should not try to "reimagine" Mickey as some sneaky, naughty character. I think the world has a certain expectation for Mickey, and he needs to live up to it.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

Yensid_Retlaw is offline D-Ticket Holder

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Mickey not start off as that sneaky and naughty mouse? This is the reason Donald Duck was brought in and he was worse than Mickey was and Donald is still a well respected character in the Disney family. Besides the game has the option to turn Mickey into the "Scrapper" character as they have named it. I don't think it's anything to get too upset about. Being a gamer and a Disney lover, I will not look at Mickey any different if I decide to throw paint thinner at something in the game.

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Just a dream away!

"A Tip of the hat from Dr. Facilier"

"Cause I've got friends on the other side!"

A proud D23 Charter Year member.

And a dedicated Lead Manager at the Disney Store in Georgian Mall, Barrie, Ontario! 3 years! I almost get a Pluto pin!

chavez705 is offline A-Ticket holder

I think that you guys should read this article: Inside the Game: Epic Mickey - Features - GameInformer.com

I feel like the man responsible for making this game has a lot of interesting reasons for making the game the way it is. The game actually sounds extremely fascinating to me. You should read the whole article before making a judgment.
    Charter D23 Member
    #1 Dec. 2006 - Grand Floridian
    #2 Dec. 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    #3 Dec. 2008 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
    #4 Dec. 2009 - Boardwalk Inn
    #5 ?? WDW ?? DL ??

From what I understand Yensid_Retlaw is right. I believe there is even a blurb about it on the Disney Treasures: Chronological Donald Duck Vol. 1. Even at that, I think anyone who doubts only needs to re-watch Fantasia!
    Charter D23 Member
    #5 ?? WDW ?? DL ??

Also, if you can get a hold of it, the article that I linked to is in its entirety in the Gameinformer #199 November 2009. If anyone is interested I can scan my copy and try to get it posted...
    Charter D23 Member
    #5 ?? WDW ?? DL ??

Nevermind, found the rest of the interview/article with Warren Spector. Should give it a read, it seems like he has a lot of love for the character.
    An Interview With Warren Spector - Disney Epic Mickey - Nintendo Wii - GameInformer.com
    Charter D23 Member
    #5 ?? WDW ?? DL ??

disneymystic is offline C-Ticket Holder

This sort of thing was said about Kingdom Hearts too. Yes, this is a little darker (if that is what the final product is..remember this is early still). I'd like to see more about it. I'm actually excited because it's good to have an open mind. I don't see this destroying the image of Mickey Mouse in any way.

WISH LIST
    Stayed in Bay Lake Tower: Check
    Seen the Cinderella Suite: Check
    Propose at Disney World: Check
    Married At Disney World: Pending (eventually)
    Worked at Disney World: Double Check
    Travel to Other Disney Parks: Tokyo Check
    Victoria And Albert's Chef Table: Waiting
    Become A Part of WDW Radio Forums: DONE

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder

I'm sooooo excited for it. I loved the Kingdom Hearts games and I know Im goign to love this, if only to see Oswald integrated into the Disney World once more (besides those few D23 merchandise items).
    4 8 15 16 23 42

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?"

thepurplefoldercp.blogspot.com

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Good points by all. I am not a gamer, but will look for this one because of the discussion I've read.

I totally agree with all of you. However, I do like that Oswald the Rabbit is going to be in the game. I too agree with Van from netcot, and he seems to be the only one that has talked about this. Keep posting thoughts!
    -Walt Disney

The Disney Blog Posted This:
    n article in the Boston Globe states that Mickey Mouse has gotten a little stale, boring even.

The mischievous sorcerer’s apprentice of “Fantasia’’ has become an empty vessel, devoid of any of the sharp edges that might define his character.

I have to say I don’t agree at all. Going back to Runaway Brain, attempts to reinvigorate Mickey have inevitably ended back at the original Mickey Mouse – an adventurer, a ladies man, and a funny guy. As always, a reflection of his creator. Epic Mickey is going to be more of the same.

What Mickey does need is to be relevant. He’s at his best when he’s doing some sort of commentary on society, usually with a humorous angle. His role as an entrepreneur in the House of Mouse series was a step in the right direction. While not really commentary, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse has also done a good job reacquainting a whole new generation of kids with the character.

The direction I would take Mickey in is to put him in situations we’re all dealing with. In today’s economy Mickey should be championing the little people. Give him an electric car, send him to the mall, the unemployment line, make him a doctor, send him back to school. Some of Mickey’s best moments in his early career involved spoofing celebrity. That would fit in today too.

Where would you like to see Mickey Mouse go from here?
    -Walt Disney

bater8slater is offline Annual Passholder

I don't think Mickey is going to be "evil". It's not like he's going around hurting or even worse things. And I remember seeing that his "weapon" would be a paintbrush. Mickey won't be "evil" but he won't be is jolly old self that we have grown to know and love. I don't mind seeing mickey go a little bit bad. But, only for this one game. I hope other then that he is still kind. I do wonder if we will see a epic mickey in the parks. Or even better... A show or parade! haha

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I just have to reiterate that Mickey's attitude in the game reflects the player's choices. Mickey can still be a noble hero if you want him to be, but if you want Mickey to be a little more mischievous you can do that as well. I know this has already been pointed out, but I get the feeling that people are up in arms about something that may not have been made clear from the get-go. (That may be Junction Studios' and/or Disney Interactive's fault, because we got some early information that didn't highlight this feature that allowed players to choose what attitude Mickey would take on.)

Epic Mickey looks very exciting to me. I love the retro look Junction Studios is giving Mickey, and I really like how interactive the game sounds. I don't mind seeing Mickey take on the "scrapper" role, mostly because I'm a fan of the really early cartoons in which Mickey wasn't afraid to behave badly.
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by thegoz85 View Post
    Epic Mickey looks very exciting to me. I love the retro look Junction Studios is giving Mickey, and I really like how interactive the game sounds. I don't mind seeing Mickey take on the "scrapper" role, mostly because I'm a fan of the really early cartoons in which Mickey wasn't afraid to behave badly.
    http://theblarg.files.wordpress.com/...y_suicide1.jpg
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast