Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss What one thing contributed most to Walt Disney's success? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Independence Day is always a day that gets me thinking about what it means to be an American. Today, my thoughts came together in such a way that I wrote ...
    Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

What one thing contributed most to Walt Disney's success?

Independence Day is always a day that gets me thinking about what it means to be an American. Today, my thoughts came together in such a way that I wrote a blog post about it (Scouting with the Mouse Learning to Fail and Learning to Fly, if you're interested). During the course of writing that post, I got to thinking about some of the things that made Walt Disney so successful.

We've all heard that Walt was driven. And I think the major reason for that is that his upbringing made him know first hand what it felt like to have the wolves always at the door. Now I know that he was talented and a genius, but I also think that it was his early experiences with his and his father's failure that made him so driven and so willing to do whatever it took to "make it". Especially when you consider that once he'd "made it" he was still just as driven -- almost as if he was still pursued by those demons or wolves at the door.

But I' be interested in hearing other points of view. If you had to pick a single thing or part of Walt's life that most contributed to his success, what would you say it was and why?
    Hypermommy

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: What one thing contributed most to Walt Disney's success?

I'd say a hands down contributor would be Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The Alice comedies and Disneyland would have to go there as well.
    Last edited by WDW4Ever; 07-04-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Him being persistent, consistent and having the imagination to see way ahead of what others either could not see or could not create. Being able to see the world through the eyes of a child while having the insight of an adult helped too.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'd have to go with the completion of Disneyland, too. From there, he was able to expand on his theme park idea, as well as create live venues to hock his merchandise and promote his films.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Tekneek is offline A-Ticket holder

His creative vision and his determination to have them completed, and let's not underestimate the role that Roy O. Disney played. All that vision and determination might never have turned into the finished product that Walt wanted without Roy to make the financial side work.

Charles Muntz is offline A-Ticket holder

Persistence.
    Charles Muntz
    Adventure Is Out There

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Roy.

We all (or most normal people) are filled with dreams and visions, and some further still with the drive to go out and make them a reality, but it would all have been impossible without Roy Disney
    Last edited by 20K; 01-03-2011 at 04:29 AM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

i agree with Roy... without Roy's business savvy and his assistance... the Disney Company might not be here today... it might have fallen by the wayside before Disneyland even opened... i think without Roy WDW and DL wouldnt even exist today... remember after Walt's death Roy came out of retirement just to oversee the completion of MK and the opening of WDW... i dont think it was a coincidence that he died only a few months (or so) after WDW opened... like he finished what he needed to for Walt...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

A good point there. Walt Disney World would never have opened without Roy, at least going by what we know and in the form that we know. You would really struggle to make the case arguing to the contrary.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

i think that Roy was a huge asset to the company and his contributions are vast and vital to the companies success...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

He always concentrated on finding a way to do things instead of looking at reasons why something couldn't be done.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Cortini is offline Annual Passholder

He wasn't afraid to do what other thought impossible he even said,"it's kind of fun to do the impossible." and i don't think he was scared to fail. And he ventured to do what no one else would.
    D23 Charter Member~Castaway Club Member~DVC Member @ Wilderness Lodge & Saratoga Springs~Pin Trader~Vinylmation Collector

"A wish is a powerful thing especially when it comes from the heart."

Finally figured out most of my travel histoy!
    2012- March- 4 nights at Wilderness Lodge then 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2011- March- 5 nights at Treehouse Villas then 2 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2010- March- 6 nights at Saratoga Springs then 1 night at Bay Lake Tower.
    2010- July- 7 nights at Saratoga Springs.
    2009- March- 9 nights at Boardwalk Villas.

2009- October- 2 nigths at Dolphin then
    Disney Wonder- 3-Night Bahamian Cruise (w/ a friend who I met on the Magic cruise)
    2008- March- Disney Magic- 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise (1st cruise ever)
    2008- November- 5 nights at Coronado Springs
    2007- March- 9 nights at Wilderness
    2007- November- 2 nights at Swan
    2006-1998 Yearly Trips sometimes two trips a year at various resorts which are the following(resort (# of times not previously stated))-
    Saratoga Springs (1), Contemporary( Tower (1), Garden Wing (2 i think)), All-Star Movies(1 night then on the another hotel), All- Star Music (1), Wilderness Lodge (Lodge (1), Villas (?)) Coronado Springs (1), Animal Kingdom Lodge (1)

TheTexasKid is offline A-Ticket holder

Absolutely. I agree with whoever says that Roy, who as Walt's moneyman found the money to make Walt's vision a reality, contributed to making the Walt Disney Company what it is today.

But, there is a lesser known character who also contributed to making the Walt Disney Company a success. The unknown banker from Bank of America who said that Walt had a hit with "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves," when the concensus in Hollywood was that any full-length animated feature would flop at the boxoffice.

Walt and Roy borrowed alot of money from Bank of America to make their film, but what they first borrowed wasn't enough. The film wasn't finished, but they had ran out of money. Walt didn't want to do it, but Roy convinced him that the only way they were going to borrow more money from the bank, was to let someone see what they had done so far. So, one evening, someone from the bank came over and watched what had been done so far. He didn't say anything, till he was getting into his car to leave, then he told Walt and Roy they had a hit on their hands. And promised that they could borrow the money to finish the film. And the rest they say is history.

But, what if he had gone back to his bosses at the Bank and told them not to lend Walt and Roy anymore money. Walt and Roy were so deeply into debt to Bank of America, they probably couldn't borrow it from anybody else. Money which they needed to finish the film. Which film was the only major product in the pipeline. The Walt Disney Company as we know it, probably would have been through right there and then.

Thus, we owe alot to that man from the Bank of America.