Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss ABC Family Channel? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I am constantly shocked by the garbage that is shown on the Disney-owned ABC Family Channel. If they dropped the "Family" from the title it wouldn't be so bad; but ...
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

ABC Family Channel?

I am constantly shocked by the garbage that is shown on the Disney-owned ABC Family Channel. If they dropped the "Family" from the title it wouldn't be so bad; but to imply that the programming is suitable for families is at best, misleading, and at worst purposely deceitful. Their slogan is "A New Kind of Family". Charles Manson created a new kind of "family" too. Shame on you Disney.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bater8slater is offline Annual Passholder

Re: ABC Family Channel?

I don't even watch the 2 "Disney channels" anymore. They use to be so good

I just heard a "fart joke" on one of the Disney Channel shows. My daughter tells me the show is called "Good Luck Charlie". Congratulations Disney, you are now at Nickelodeon's level.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Could be worse.

We could have to endure seeing the Osmonds touring a newly-opened Haunted Mansion.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

I'd prefer the Osmonds and E.J. Peaker to the load of ...they now exhibit.

- Walt Disney

ajwiseman09 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have wondered about the change in the channel as well. ABC family used to have shows that I would watch with my sisters when we were younger and now there are movies on there that I wouldn't let a child watch (van helsing? was one I saw on there). I am sure there are kids out there who are not allowed to watch the channel and are upset about it. Why don't they just rename the channel so kids do not assume they can watch it.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." Walt Disney

Prior to 1998-Offsite (2 trips)
    2000-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2001-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2006-Offsite (3)
    10/10/09-10/17-Coronado Springs (Honeymoon) (6)
    12/31/09-1/4/10-All Star Movies (New Years) (3)
    10/7/10-10/16-Wilderness Lodge (1st Ann.) (8)
    11/24/10-11/28-Lighthouse Keys (2)
    3/9/11-3/15/11-LK & PO Riverside (5)
    7/29/11-8/6/11- LK and Disney Dream (3)
    9/2/11-9/6/11- LK (4)
    12/31-1/6/12 - LK and Carribbean Beach (7)
    3/29-4/2 - Pop Century (3)
    7/27-7/30 - LK (4)
    11/1-11/11 - Poly, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Dream (5)
    5/23/13-5/27 - LK (5)
    8/3-811 - Disneyland (4)

Total Days in Disney Parks: 72

Disney Channel's done worse in the past...

YouTube - Now Playing on the Disney Channel FAIL

- Walt Disney

Wasn't that Jeffrey Katzenberg's idea?

Zing

- Walt Disney

DisneyFamilyDad is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm also disappointed with the "New Kind of Family" family channel. What could be so hard about keeping it a regular ole Family Channel. I feel like they are trying to broaden the viewership but they are actually alienating a huge sector of people who would appreciate good clean entertainment without pushing the edge.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Occasionally their made-for-tv movies are pretty cute. E.G. Holiday In Handcuffs with Mario Lopez and Melissa Joan Hart. But regular programming is garbage. If Disney would bring back programming such as Wonderful World of Color, I think they'd be surprised at how many people would tune into that.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

It is all about dollars and cents. Viewership on Family, Nickelodeon and Nick At Night was down. If revenues are down they change the programing to boost ratings.

Disney is all about boosting the bottom line and answering to the shareholders. I own Disney Stock, read their Annual Reports, it is very enlightening.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

A lot of it is the natural evolution of a cable network channel. Of course, there are variations:

1) Cable channel founded to serve a niche market. Dig up cheap but loved programming in that niche.

2) Once established, start foray into original niche programming. First attempts are often miserable failures due to low budgets, but get one or two breakout "hits". Note that a hit might be something that sees 1 or (gasp) 2 million viewers - which would be a horrible failure on a broadcast network.

3) As income improves, risk higher budgets on more expensive programs. Cancel them because you couldn't get the advertisers to pay the needed money for 2.5 million pairs of eyes on a niche program.

4) Realize that to continue to grow your channel, you need to step outside your niche audience. Start "mainstream" programming.

5) Whoops...your niche channel name now no longer matches your programming. You A) Ignore it (an channel who's name ends in "Classics"; B) Claim it means something else, or nothing at all (MTV); or C) Corrupt your name so it is still pronounced the same but is totally meaningless (Syfy...)

5) You are now powered by mostly mainstream programming, with off hours filled with some old niche classics at night...at least until you realize that infomercials are more profitable.

6) Now that you are doing the same as every other cable channel you grew up with, you now fight over the limit viewers and still cannot bring in enough advertising revenue to support the few quality but expensive original niche programs and are forced to cancel them, leaving you with A) cheap but low-quality original programs, and B) holes in your schedule, which you rapidly fill up with incredibly cheap reality programming.

7) All your original viewers now don't watch any of your programs as they have found all the programs they used to watch on your fledgling network on the Internet, leaving you as just another generic channel among hundreds...

ABC Family just hasn't come up with a better name yet. They inherited "Family" from the predecessor owners - Disney bought Fox Family (as part of a larger purchase from Fox, which included the Power Rangers), who had previously bought it from a spinoff company from Pat Robertson's CBN (which is why the 700 Club still appears on it...not sure when that contract is supposed to be up), but rumor has it there is a perpetual clause in the contract that the channel MUST bear the name Family.
    Last edited by doconeill; 03-14-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news