Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney Legends in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I'm wondering what the guidelines for identifying legends each year. Some classes are larger than others. Take the past three years, for instance. 2009 Tony Anselmo , Animation (voice) Harry ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Disney Legends

I'm wondering what the guidelines for identifying legends each year. Some classes are larger than others. Take the past three years, for instance.

Tony Anselmo, Animation (voice)
    Harry Archinal, Film
    Beatrice Arthur, Film & Television
    Bill Farmer, Animation (voice)
    Estelle Getty, Film & Television
    Don Iwerks, Film
    Rue McClanahan, Film & Television
    Leota Toombs Thomas, Attractions
    Betty White, Film & Television[218]
    Robin Williams, Film, Animation (voice)

The four Golden GIrls, two current voice actors for Donald and Goofy/Pluto, a few other names known only to Disney fans, and one huge name.

James Baskett, Film
    Jim Cummings, Animation (voice)
    Tom Hanks, Film & Animation (voice)
    Aaron Spelling, Television
    Frank Welker, Animation (voice)

Two were named posthumously, two are voice talent, and one is a huge star.

Regis Philbin, Television
    Jim Henson, Film
    Jodi Benson, Animation (voice)
    Paige O'Hara, Animation (voice)
    Lea Salonga, Animation (voice)
    Linda Larkin, Animation (voice)
    Anika Noni Rose, Animation (voice)
    Jack Wrather, Parks & Resorts
    Bonita Wrather, Parks & Resorts
    Guy Williams, Television
    Bo Boyd, Consumer Products
    Raymond Watson, Administration

Several voice actors, a few obscure people, and again, one large name.

I've taken a particular interest in this program over the past couple of years because I am attempting to collect up as many autographs from the (living) legends, both on photos and on a certificate template I created.

Anyone else follow the Disney Legends nomiations? Or am I the only Disney nut who bothers with these names outside of Disney company employees on the committee?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Re: Disney Legends

Just read up on some of the 2011 Legends and came across Anika Noni Rose. It seems her ONLY connection to the Disney Company was voicing Princess Tiana in Disney's flop, Princess and the Frog.

Really? A legend? Huh?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Just read up on some of the 2011 Legends and came across Anika Noni Rose. It seems her ONLY connection to the Disney Company was voicing Princess Tiana in Disney's flop, Princess and the Frog.

Really? A legend? Huh?
    That's what I said.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

The best I can figure is that they were attempting a Princess theme this year, and they ran out of female characters after already using up some of the deceased and more classic character voices. But still, I don't see Disney ever using Anika Noni Rose for another project any time in the near future, and hopefully they'll be putting that god-awful Princess and the Frog film out to pasture, right next to Home on the Range.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

it seems that they go with more of a theme... no guidelines... i wonder how they decide though... it doesnt seem to be voted on like the baseball or NFL hall of fame... that might make more sense...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Right. This year also included someone who was Chairman of Walt Disney Productions for one year, between Card Walker and Michael Eisner. He was also President and CEO of The Irvine Project, but none of that earns him a spot as a Disney Legend, to me.

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

hopefully they'll be putting that god-awful Princess and the Frog film out to pasture, right next to Home on the Range.
    What? "Princess and the Frog" made perfect sense. I mean, many Princesses have been restaurant entrepreneurs living in New Orleans. Right?! Right?!

Yes, especially if they serve frogs' legs. And PLEASE tell me that wasn't a joke in the film. I REFUSE to see that one. Ever. That and Tangled.

Yes, especially if they serve frogs' legs. And PLEASE tell me that wasn't a joke in the film. I REFUSE to see that one. Ever. That and Tangled.
    I'll be honest, I don't remember 'Princess and the Frog' at all. I watched in on cable one night just to see how they pull off a Princess in New Orleans. They didn't

'Tangled' was a great movie. I saw that in the theater with my son, and considering that we were two dudes watching a "girl's movie" we thoroughly enjoyed it. Trust me, give it a chance. I'd watch it again. It's more than a "Princess" movie. It's just a really well told story. I think we have John Lasseter to thank for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney.Gen.2.0 View Post
    'Tangled' was a great movie. I saw that in the theater with my son, and considering that we were two dudes watching a "girl's movie" we thoroughly enjoyed it. Trust me, give it a chance. I'd watch it again. It's more than a "Princess" movie. It's just a really well told story. I think we have John Lasseter to thank for that.
    Don't forget... we also have Lasseter to thank for Cars, as well.

Don't forget... we also have Lasseter to thank for Cars, as well.

I guess we're on different wave-lengths "movie-wise" because I've seen 'Cars' a gazillion times (thanks to my son) and I still enjoy watching it. 'Princess and the Frog', however, just kept going and going and going.

First one wasn't bad at all. I did enjoy it more than I expected to. But even after watching that first one, I can't bring myself to see this one just yet. As for my comment, I was just making the Lasseter connection.

Just sent a few certificates out this week for autographs, and hope to get a few more out next week, too. This week's letters and certificates went to Tyrus Wong, Rolly Crump, Jack Lindquist, Ray Watson, and Randy Newman. Trying to get one off to Tim Allen tomorrow.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I think the word "legend" is thrown around as much as the word "genius". Both are overused in my opinion.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Especially when it comes to people as obscure as Ray Watson. It appears that Disney is running out of true "Legends" and is now scraping the very bottom of the barrell.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast