Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by Veritas Nope. The best is yet to come for Disney. New technology will allow Disney to retool the parks over the 20 years or so and plus ...
    Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them?

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    Nope. The best is yet to come for Disney. New technology will allow Disney to retool the parks over the 20 years or so and plus up the experiences. Disney will expand it's media presence just consider how many Disney apps are available on smart phones etc. Pixar will continue to wow the world with ther folms and the Disney studios will get back to form as they re-tool. Look at how good Prep and Landing was. Some work, some vision and Disney will increase the gap between the competition (they are still out fornt, the gap is just closing some). Disney is expanding overseas, the marketing folks will learn a lot form that. Disney is reversing the decline of the parks (investment in DCA, MK). Ups and downs are the way of any business, Disney is already starting to pull out of the decline.
    Solid post.

I feel like Disney is continually pushing forward what a theme park experience can be. Interactivity, adult-designed annual events, and new ideas of what an attraction can entail are what they do best. They are on the forefront of all of this, and will continue to be.

We as adults see things in different ways than children. Kids that experience Disney are continually amazed and grow into adult fans that will maintain park visits for generations to come. Box office numbers are not a good measure of the Disney brand because box office numbers in general are down due to oversaturation. The Disney brand is still recognized as the number one for family entertainment. Put on an animated movie from another company and all you get are fart jokes, rude characters, and violence. Disney will continue to create the stories that families gravitate towards, and their themeing will never be surpassed.

For me, it just keeps getting better and better.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Yep. It's all over.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by DVCDad View Post
    No, the biggest problem with HP was that is was planned with looks in mind, and not for when crowds show up. Univseral WANTS the huge lines because it sounds good to them. "LOOK AT THE LINES, WE'RE POPULAR!!!"
    It's severely short sighted, as ideally you want people moving through your attractions seemlessly, not standing around waiting. If Disney had the same number of people coming to an area (and I'm not saying the new Fantasyland will do that), they would plan it for the guest experience, and not have you lining up for hours.
    now i am with that... i wont deny that HP is a popular land... that much is clear... however they (meaning universal) are notorious for trying to make themselves seem "more" popular than they even are... take HP for example... yes lines are long..but streets are tight as well... they have a shop that holds 3 people at a time... of course if it has any popularity it will be mobbed... even HP is drawing against itself as universal studios is a barren wasteland these days and IoA has lands that are completely desolate...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

mousterpiece is offline B-Ticket Holder

I think it's way too early to throw in the towel with Disney, partly because it's so massive and partly because...I don't know that anything's actually occurred to make me think they're done. Obviously, the Harry Potter land of Universal is impressive and drawing in lots of crowds. (And frankly, I don't know that adding an Avatar land would be a huge draw, or comparable to HP.)

But some of the things in the article just are too speculative for me to get behind. The discussion of the animated division would be stronger if a) Rango was actually a hit or as big a hit as Tangled was and b) if Disney didn't have Pixar. I'm sad that the Walt Disney Feature Animation department doesn't focus as much on hand-drawn content (or doesn't have the money to), but the movies Disney makes go far beyond that department now. They have Pixar, and Pixar has taken on DreamWorks and been pretty successful in that regard. There's not much to take on with Paramount, as they've released one moderate box-office performer in Rango.

I don't know that Disney is making all of the right choices--again, I think Avatar Land has the potential to be a massive disappointment--but this article doesn't strike any fear in my heart.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

It IS a shame that it took Pixar to revitalize Disney, the once king of animated films.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

that it is... i just wish feature animation could create a "decent" hand drawn film... it would definitely change minds about that whole division of the company...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Exactly, Joe. The last solid hit Disney had with an animated film was The Lion King. And that opened back in '94. They tried giving us "Princess and the Frog" and when it flopped, they tried to claim that handdrawn animation was dead. I almost feel as if they intentionally sabbotaged themselves in order to justfiy moving away from the medium. Then they re-released "The Lion King" and it did great numbers. You can't compare that silly frog movie to any of the solid blockbuster films Disney released in the early 90s.

I remember seeing the trailers for those movies and wanting to see them immediately. I saw the trailer for "Frog" and was immediately turned off. That piece of garbage was filled with forgetable characters, dreadful songs, and a story with enough plot holes to drive the Magical Express through. I refuse to believe the same studio that gave us "The Little Mermaid" couldn't figure out that they had a bomb on their hands. Well, then again, they did give us "Home on the Range", so...

I'm at a loss as to what to expect from these people. They couldn't even figure out how to have a hit with Winnie the Pooh, though I'm convinced that they originally wanted a direct-to-video movie but decided to give it a test run in the theaters, and pick up some extra money in the process.

Their answer to "no more hand-drawn films after Frog?" "Tangled". Another mess. I laughed at all of the reviews (especially the ones here from fans) stating that it was a return to how Disney films USED to feel. Wrong. It was pure slapstick. That film felt more like a "Shrek" film than Shrek films do. When Hercules pulled out a fish as a weapon, it was funny. When characters are hitting others with a frying pan, that's just stupid.

Where to from here, Disney?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

I couldn't of said that better myself, supernova.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Thank you, ma'am.

I sometimes feel as if I'm preaching to the choir. Then I remember that there are far too many members around who still have that head-in-the-clouds blinders-on vision that Disney has never, will never and CAN never do wrong. Hmmm...
    Last edited by supernova; 11-18-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

For me, personally, I stopped going to the cinema to see the new Disney animation, right after Mulan. The new releases between 1999-2003 (that I can remember), didn't appeal to me whatsoever. It wasn't until Finding Nemo, that I started to see the new animations/or Pixar at the cinema.

I made the mistake of getting all hyped up about the Princess and the Frog. Went and saw it the first day it was released here. Quite disappointed. The best Disney films for me lately have been Toy Story 3, and The Lion King 3D.

Disney, IMO seem to of lost their touch when it comes to animations. I really hope this changes. Soon. I still remember seeing The Lion King at the cinema, when it first came out. I was 10/11. I was in awe of the opening sequence. I am still am today. I want to have that feeling again, whilst watching a Disney animation.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

I'm annoyed with myself that I allowed Disney to trick me with their 3D nonsense for the Lion King. It wasn't a 3D movie to begin with and there was zero reason to have paid the extra money to watch the film with 3D glasses on and not a single 3D sequence to be had. I guess it was just the audience that was "had" over those two weeks. The 3D did nothing for the film. It wasn't created in 3D and so did not need to be shown as such. Oh well. Never again, Disney. Hear me? NEVER AGAIN!!

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I'm not sure I agree that the last "solid hit" with the animation department was The Lion King when Pocahontas came out a year later.
    Personally I liked feel like Tarzan was the last big hit with the company for a while, I thinkk Fantasia 2000 is a great film but it was never going to succeed on a large stage. It's more art than entertainment.

Afterwards they did have some pretty big flops, Dinosaur was painfully forgettable as was Atlantis (Oh yeah I forgot, Emperor's New Groove came out between those too. Oh well..).
    Lilo and Stitch, like it or hate it has proven a valuable commodity for the company and I feel like Treasure Planet was grossly under appreciated.
    After that I admit I didn't see a Disney movie for a while, I actually wanted to see Brother Bear but it just slipped by me, and I was at an age in High School that I didn't think it was cool to see Disney movies anymore. So when the studios were offering up Home on the Range and Chicken Little I was more than willing to ignore them.

I didn't see The Princess and the Frog for a year or two after it came out but I really enjoyed it. I found it charming and beautiful, and I thought Randy Newman did a fine job bringing New Orleans' spirit to the soundtrack.
    I hated the way they marketed Tangled, bedding the previews with that obnoxious Pink song. It made it feel too pop cultured, it did seem like they were trying to "out Shrek" Shrek, but I found the film to be much better than they advertised it being. The only thing I would change about it would be to give it the hand drawn treatment, I think they really could've done some beautiful things with Rapunzel's hair with ink and paint.
    Winnie the Pooh was good for what it was, it has that classic Pooh look, it's wonderfully simple for the little ones and at the right length for them to follow it.

I feel like they're on their upswing, but I'm more than a little nervous about Wreck It Ralph, the premise of it screams something akin to Mars Needs Moms and a Dreamworks production. It looks like it has some nice voice talent but I'm just not excited about it at all.

Pocahontas did have respectible numbers at the box office, but it wasn't able to come anywhere near the figures from the year prior. I think it's possible that people went to see it coming off the heals of the last movie, and hoping for more of the same. As the movies got worse, so did the numbers for the following films. If a director kept turning out flops, he'd be finished in Hollywood. Fortunately, Disney is not a single director.

Pocahontas is one of those films I keep forgetting about until someone mentions it. I never saw it in theaters, saw it once on TV and haven't been back since. It wasn't a BAD film, necessarily. Just not a good one. Brother Bear is another film I forget until mentioned. And it doesn't have any appeal for me at all.

The only reason I saw Emperor's New Groove in the theaters is because of the trailer. It seemed that it would have enough humor in it to keep me entertained. That, to me, was the first time a Disney film stopped feeling "Disney" and was the start of their first attempt at a slapstick/over the top/too may sight gags film. OK, yes, they did it with Aladdin. Fortunately, every time I thought about leaving the theater, flying to Los Angeles and strangling Robin Williams, they were able to tone it down a bit. But I still reach for the remote each time that "Friend Like Me" song comes on. Sitting through him trying to carry the last big note of the song is enough to make me wish I didn't have ears. But I digress. The story of Emperor was good, but the premise was stupid. Sure it's a cartoon, but there was zero reason to have turned him into a llama when she could have just poisoned him or something, anything, other than what they went with. It's as if they REALLY wanted the director, and so they HAD to go with his idiotic premise. That film would have worked so many other ways. It just annoyed me.

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I sometimes feel as if I'm preaching to the choir. Then I remember that there are far too many members around who still have that head-in-the-clouds blinders-on vision that Disney has never, will never and CAN never do wrong. Hmmm...
    Why do you continue to respond as if those people are wrong and you are correct? There is room for both and you should respect that. Your smug attitude is really tough to deal with, and while I enjoy these boards, I feel like responses like this really detract from the experience for me.

Isn't it okay for some people to really love everything Disney does? Does it make you more of a fan because you condescend that which you like? Some people prefer to look past things that dissappoint them and just celebrate that which they like. I am not bothered by your opinions, just the way you continually state them in a better-than-Disney way. I don't get it, and unfortunately, just can't let it go today.

Try and lighten it up, would you? It is totally okay for people to have opinions other than yours.

Fair enough. Just confused as to why you continue to take this so personally. No one pointed you out, and I didn't quote you on anything. I made a general statement. Then you, in turn, proceeded to make a not-so-general statement, doing the exact same thing you accused me of doing, only you did it in reverse. Let's just agree to disagree before this turns ugly, we split up, and the children are forced to decide which parent they love more.

Overall, you're a fan who has never once seen a bad Disney movie and I'm a fan who has. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by supernova; 11-19-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast