Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; This is an article from Business Insider. October 16, 2011 Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them? Kapitall Hailed for its success at the box office, Disney’s The Lion King in ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them?

This is an article from Business Insider.
    October 16, 2011

Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them?
    Kapitall

Hailed for its success at the box office, Disney’s The Lion King in 3-D is one of many classic Disney films planned for rerelease in the coming years. The company’s investments, which range from ESPN and ABC to Pixar studios, have also been doing well despite the economic downturn.

All in all Disney (DIS) is in a good spot, but unlike the movies, curtains don’t close when a story line verges on “happily ever after.” Perhaps the adage “all good things must come to an end” is more appropriate.
    Rick Munarriz, of Daily Finance and long-time Disney fan, is disheartened to admit he thinks Disney’s glory days may soon be behind them. “Disney’s competition is getting smarter — and the House of Mouse has some obstacles to overcome.”

Competition is picking up from all angles. To start with, Universal Studio’s The Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park opened last year to overwhelming fanfare. The park is “just a few highway exits away [from Disney] on I-4,” while Legoland Florida, which opens this weekend, is less than an hour away.

“Save for a marginal attendance uptick at Animal Kingdom, Disney’s three larger Florida parks suffered declines, according to the Themed Entertainment Association.”

Then there are the Disney films: Mars Needs Moms was the studio’s biggest flop in years while an unrelenting stream of sequels and straight-to-video films has done little to rile up fans or emphasize Disney’s creative abilities. Competition with Paramount studios has also heightened despite the hope placed in Disney’s Pixar buyout.

“Clearly Disney is vulnerable, and Paramount’s success with Rango earlier this year suggests that it will be a force to reckon with when it begins cranking out its own films by 2014,” he says.
    Munarriz sums up an array of other problems the company has run into this year:

- ABC is struggling, and cascading ratings at Charlie’s Angels and Pan Am — two new shows that the network was counting on this season — appear to make them likely early cancellations.
    - ESPN is a juggernaut, but it’s also a victim of escalating programming costs for content that it doesn’t really own.
    - Disney Channel used to be the launching pad for teen idols, but lately that baton has been passed to You Tube and American Idol.
    - The opening of its Hawaiian timeshare resort was riddled with accounting errors, and several Disney Vacation Club executives were let go in the process.

Do you think Munarriz is right in his assessment of Disney’s outlook?

Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them?

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Hailed for its success at the box office, Disney’s The Lion King in 3-D is one of many classic Disney films planned for rerelease in the coming years. The company’s investments, which range from ESPN and ABC to Pixar studios, have also been doing well despite the economic downturn.
    I think this paragraph sums up the sad state of Disney's film division pretty well... and it's scary. Disney is banking on the release not of new exciting films, but on classics that they're putting into (completely unnecessary) 3D. There was a time when Disney would re-release films every 10 to 15 years. But this wasn't because they didn't have anything better coming up in the future. It was their way of keeping their films fresh and introducing the movies to breand new audiences. These days, when their latest offerings were the lackluster and dreadful Princess and the Frog and Tangled (much less the other films they purchased and put out under their name, ie. Mars Needs Moms). So their big "five year plan" is to rehash their old offerings. Brilliant.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

i dont know if i like the 3d being promoted so much. why do the movies have to come out in 3d? why not just rerelease them in a normal style? not everyone likes 3d type movies and some people cant even watch them.

hopefully some great new ideas are floating around the disney drawing tables for some great new movies...
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore79 View Post
    i dont know if i like the 3d being promoted so much. why do the movies have to come out in 3d? why not just rerelease them in a normal style? not everyone likes 3d type movies and some people cant even watch them.
    Very simple. Because in some top markets, like NYC and Los Angeles, Disney can get nearly $20 a ticket for a non-matinee 3D showing. Much better than $6 a ticket for a regular ticket, I'd say.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Talking Re: Are Disney's Glory Days Behind them?

Haunted Gabe, I think Disney films will coming roaring back like 1989. I think these things just move in cycles of leadership.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I wouldn't say to you could really count them out in theme parks or movies.

As for the theme parks, maybe there is some new leadership that is needed. I really think we need another Walt, someone to bring back the ideals that seem to have been slipping recently. I think if they went back to the way things used to be and quit outsourcing a lot of their workforce and fixed a lot of things that were in disrepair (*cough* *cough* Yeti), they would probably see an upturn. A $90 ticket for an out of Florida resident probably doesn't help things either. In short, I think they need to go back to the founding principles and start listening more to their customers. As far as Harry Potter and Legoland, neither property interest me whatsoever. Unless, I ever have a lego-crazy boy, I'll likely never set foot in Legoland, and no matter what, you couldn't pay me to go see Harry Potter.

I also have hope for the movies coming back. They took a downturn before the Disney renissance in the 80s. We're hopefully in just another low now that will spring back up at some point for a second renissance. I never saw Mars Needs Mom's as I thought the previews looked pretty dumb, but I actually did enjoy Princess & The Frog as well as Tangled.

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Yes, it's over. Sell your stocks and your DVC. Everything was better in the past, and everything will be worse in the future.

Maybe, just maybe, they want a new generation to see the movies on a big screen. Pixar (which IS Disney) has made one or two fairly decent movies, and may even do so again. Don't cut Disney short, they've been left for dead before and have come back stronger than ever.

debbieandroo is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by DVCDad View Post
    Yes, it's over. Sell your stocks and your DVC. Everything was better in the past, and everything will be worse in the future.

Maybe, just maybe, they want a new generation to see the movies on a big screen. Pixar (which IS Disney) has made one or two fairly decent movies, and may even do so again. Don't cut Disney short, they've been left for dead before and have come back stronger than ever.
    Please do - then there will be more room in the parks for me!

IIRC, Lion King 3D was a top grossing movie this summer [beating its competition for two weekends in a row - not too shabby] and Tangled has made more money through international sales and DVDs than most of Disney's movies. And I would have been surprised if a movie called 'Mars Needs Moms' did do well. Doesn't sound as if the movie division is doing that badly, especially considering how well even Pixar's sequels do.

ABC has two shows that aren't doing well - that's pretty good compared to the other networks. Didn't one of NBC's shows get cancelled after only two episodes?

About the parks, yeah, they need some reviving. Hey, let's expand Fantasyland! Oh wait, someone is already doing that. Oh, I know - let's utilize more of Animal Kingdom! Oh wait, that has already been announced. An even better idea - revamp the classic Disneyland. Rats, someone's already doing that....

About WWoHP, while it gave IOA a big bump in attendance, IOA still ranks 13th in attendance among theme parks. The top 5 are still WDW and DL.

I do think it will take a while before Disney will be able to straighten out the Aulani mess but that doesn't take away from its beauty and potential long term appeal to guests.

All that to say, Munarriz doesn't seem to be looking at the big picture. And hopefully, Disney execs are.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

We have to keep in mind that every company has its issues...and many of them.

Yes, the competition may be getting smarter, but Disney is just as capable as they are. This article failed to mention all the changes coming to the parks in coming years - the new Fantasyland, Avatar in AK (I know it is controversial, but I did talk to a few non-Disney obsessed people while I was there last week who were excited about the idea), and the interactive things going into EPCOT and Adventureland in MK. PoTC is a huge moneymaker for Disney and the new movie is coming out shortly. The Princess Franchise is on the rise, especially with the addition of our 8th princess, Rupunzel (whose movie was a big hit, BTW).

ESPN is everywhere. They have scores of channels (no pun intended), their marketing techniques are eye catching and their merchandise is always in demand. ESPN cannot possibly be in any grave danger; I haven't seen them backing down on anything in recent history. Wide World of Sports was somewhat of a flop, but honestly, I don't think it got a lot of advertisement - many people didn't even know the NFL Experience was there!

Quite frankly, I HATE Harry Potter and all things associated with it. My hatred of Harry Potter and all the people who obsess over it is a reason I would stay away from Universal for awhile so I don't have to deal with all the ridiculous fans swarming the parks. I'm sure I am not alone in this. And Legoland? I think of it as a place for children, like a Seasame Place, not a place that would cater to the masses (Yes, I know they have rollercoasters, but the overall theme doesn't seem to appeal to all ages).

I agree with DVCDad- don't cut Disney short yet. Yes, the parks tickets are expensive and yes the competition is getting better, but there is nothing like Disney, it'll never just go away.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    Quite frankly, I HATE Harry Potter and all things associated with it. My hatred of Harry Potter and all the people who obsess over it is a reason I would stay away from Universal for awhile so I don't have to deal with all the ridiculous fans swarming the parks. I'm sure I am not alone in this. And Legoland? I think of it as a place for children, like a Seasame Place, not a place that would cater to the masses (Yes, I know they have rollercoasters, but the overall theme doesn't seem to appeal to all ages).
    That's you. But there are many, MANY little boys and girls (and, unfortunately, adults, which still baffles me) that are obsessed with the Harry Potter and it won't be going away. Princess and the Frog? Gone. And that was only a few years ago. Potter is sticking around for a while.

And with Legoland, it's not meant to replace Disney. It's a novelty that will draw in people who want to check out a new amusement park. You don't have to LOVE Lego toys to go. I have friends who hate Disney, so they won't got to Disney World. Makes sense. I don't know anyone who loathes little Lego blocks, so it's not like there is an aversion to the place.

Sounds like another one of those cases of, "It ain't Disney so I ain't goin' " sort of things. What's next? I hate the taste of seafood so I won't ever go to Sea World? There are some really cool amusement parks out there, both themed and unthemed. We need to get over our Disney obsessions and live a little.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Um, I love Disney, but I wouldn't exactly say I haven't lived. I have been to many, many theme parks (I am a coaster enthusiast as well), and I do enjoy Universal Studios and Busch Gardens and Sea World, etc., just because I am on this page doesn't mean that myself or other people are anti-everything that is not Disney. I think you're statements are a outlandish, stereotypical, and a gross overgeneralization.

You're entitled to you're opinions, but so is everyone else. No one ever said Legoland would replace Disney - I think it will be a temporary draw and then the awe will fizzle out. Harry Potter? For some unknown reason, people follow it like a cult. I know I am in the minority, but I am not alone in my opinion. Nothing can replace Disney, and I am not saying that because "I am so Disney obsessed I am blind to reality" - think of the legacy Disney has created - they were the first to DO theme parks and the first to do aminmation films. Their innovation and creativity is unparalelled by anyone else in entertainment history. Disney isn't going anywhere.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

I am a stockholder of Disney, have been for around 25 years. I always thought it was a good long term investment. I am paying attention now if that will be wise for the long term moving forward.

At first blush, after reading this article I am leaning toward Disney and their movies are being neglected much like WDW has been. Yes they can keep putting out the same movies in different formats but eventually people will tire of re-buying the same 'ole films. I love Toy Story but like most sequels you can only have so many. Tangle was the first new one I have liked in a while, but I can't say my son or my nephews went to see it, I went with my DD. Frog nope. Mars nope.

As I pondered the article I am leaning towards competition and pricing will be the hurdle Disney must contend with. Universal in FL isn't going anywhere and their attendance is climbing, while AK had a slight increase in attendance (it was low to start with) the other 3 parks at WDW fell last year. Universal, what 4 hotels now to accommodate their growing fan base. I have to say their transportation from the hotel to parks was the best and most timely I've run across. While a handful of people hate Harry, you can't argue with Universals ability to imagineer that new land. Lines out the park to get into that area. Legoland, Universal and even SeaWorld have a shot at competing against Disney for vacation days to Orlando. You look at Future World, don't see lines waiting for Captain EO, Imagination, Ellen and the vacant WoL. Disney is making it easy for others to do their own imagineering and pick up the slack. I don't think it is reversible. Damage control is what Disney has to accomplish now.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I love Harry Potter, but as Lou has said in the past, people may go visit Harry Potter but they will vacation in Walt Disney World.

When my wife and I went down last year for our honeymoon, I won't lie, we took a day and went to IOA to visit the Wizarding World (and Seuss Landing). But we spent the majority of our dollars with Disney, be it lodging, food, merchandise or what have you.

People will continue to find things that peak their interest and draw them off property for a day or so, but for the best Resorts in Orlando and overall convenience they will continue to rest their heads and tour the Disney World Resort.

I enjoy Lou he is the Ultimate Fan. I don't know that I would base my outlook of Central Florida soley on his opinions. If I had 2 or 3 days, I'd spend them at Disney. A week or more, I'm splitting my time. I spent the first 4 days staying at the Portofino at Universal. Their version of fast pass was outstanding. The Hotel rivaled any of the Disney Deluxe hotels I've stayed in. The balance of my vacation was at Disney. We dined and made purchases at both resorts.

No matter if the vacationers are day visitors or resort visitors this was a market that Disney had a lock on that they no longer do. Look at the trip reports even from our UK Members, they go to Universal and SeaWorld.
    Legoland is expanding their lands over the next 2 years with the waterpark coming on line next spring and a hotel to follow.

I believe it is time Disney starts thinking outside the box and figures out what they could do to slow the flow of guests wanting to see something else other than Disney. Me<-----Harry Potter is far more interesting than Disney's Epcot's Future World that use to take me a day to get through.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 10-18-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Hokeyboy is offline A-Ticket holder

Yes. Things are *SO* worse now at Disney than they were from, say, 1970 through 1985. Uh-huh... Please...

And as a Harry Potter fan and a Universal annual passholder, there are PLENTY of great reasons to visit Universal. The HP attraction is pretty much THE attraction to beat for "thrill rides". And let's not kid ourselves, the HP property is a pretty much untouchable brand (there's nowhere in Disney where people are lining up for over an hour, outside, to go into a STORE!).

But no place is like Walt Disney World. Nothing can replicate the Disney experience, feel, or magic. It's impossible.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast