Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss 2D Is On Life Support in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Disney Just Gutted Their Hand-Drawn Animation Division...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

2D Is On Life Support

"If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: 2D Is On Life Support

I assume this thread doesn't have any replys because we can't think of a thing to say about this without pleanty of cursing.

But I'll try....

What a shame.

There, that's about all I can muster.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Eeek. Kinda sad, the same way I was sad when they pulled animators out of MGM along with the working sound stage.

It does have that deja vu, sick feel when Disney gutted Imagineering after Epcot and Tokyo were designed. So many of those employees had no where else to go, blindsided, got together, reinvented themselves and pitched themselves to Universal. Hopefully these artists will land in some competitors laps. Frankly, if the Animation and story line is good, I don't care who produces it.

Right now Disney is in a rut anyhow, it is either sequels or Princesses ad nauseum the creativity has been beaten out of artists. Kinda like WDW, for the most part new construction in the parks is new restaurants, Meet and Greets ad nauseum again or the never ending builds of DVCs.

All in all it looks like Iger will leave as a villain much Eisner did. That both started their tenure so well and the power just seems to rot the good right out of them. Goodness, look at what Eisner did to the relationship with Pixar on his way out the door. History does seem to repeat itself.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Very saddening. Our dependance oncomputers is quickly turning us into the slugs humans become in Wall-E
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I think in some ways, Disney's "If you can't beat 'em, make 'em join you" purchase of Pixar helped set people in this mindset at Disney. And whenever this talk has come up before, there was always the mention of, "Well we tried with 'Princess and the Frog', and the movie just didn't do well." Of course not... it was an awful film. No one stayed away from the theaters because it was hand drawn. They stayed away because you created one of the worst films in recent Disney history. Forgetable characters, awful music, a setting that no one cared about, and a poorly written story that wasn't throught through at all. Even their latest Pooh installment wasn't up to normal Pooh par.

Heh. Pooh par.

Even some of TV's most popular animated shows, Simpsons and Family Guy, are both being created using computers, although they stay true to the hand drawn format. I would rather see Disney go that route than give us more cr*ppy Tangled-style films.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Eeek. Kinda sad, the same way I was sad when they pulled animators out of MGM along with the working sound stage.

It does have that deja vu, sick feel when Disney gutted Imagineering after Epcot and Tokyo were designed. So many of those employees had no where else to go, blindsided, got together, reinvented themselves and pitched themselves to Universal. Hopefully these artists will land in some competitors laps. Frankly, if the Animation and story line is good, I don't care who produces it.

Right now Disney is in a rut anyhow, it is either sequels or Princesses ad nauseum the creativity has been beaten out of artists. Kinda like WDW, for the most part new construction in the parks is new restaurants, Meet and Greets ad nauseum again or the never ending builds of DVCs.

All in all it looks like Iger will leave as a villain much Eisner did. That both started their tenure so well and the power just seems to rot the good right out of them. Goodness, look at what Eisner did to the relationship with Pixar on his way out the door. History does seem to repeat itself.
    Brilliantly said.

Although, Iger will leave the company in a very solid financial standing. History may vilify him in time, but he won't get the immediate public flogging the Eisner did on his way out. It may take 10-15 years of hindsight for the masses to take in the full scope of what he's done.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Indeed. Time does heal all wounds.

The stockholders are happy, the firm is in order even though the parks are not and the movies are in a rut. But Iger is doing what he was hired to do, make money, deliver dividends to stockholders and he is doing so. Parks being the collateral damage doesn't seem to be a priority of the board.

If history repeats itself the next one will want to put his mark on the World and maybe then we will see some tender loving care return to the parks.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.