• 1 Post By HauntedGabe
  • 1 Post By supernova
  • 3 Post By ohiodisneydad
  • 1 Post By supernova
  • 1 Post By Wayne Mouse
  • 1 Post By mickeytoo
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
  • 1 Post By Wayne Mouse
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Iger, the legacy isn't pretty in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Nobody would argue that WDW was starved and neglected under Iger. Now nearing his exit he is attempting to put golden band-aids on WDW in attempt powder puff his sad ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Iger, the legacy isn't pretty

Nobody would argue that WDW was starved and neglected under Iger. Now nearing his exit he is attempting to put golden band-aids on WDW in attempt powder puff his sad legacy. Trying to undo the madness of Hyperion, FLE without an E attraction, Future Worlds diminishing attendance, Epcots draw being Special Events, Studios dismantled, Disney Springs overhaul that nobody but Iger seemed to want and the meh attitude of fans towards Avatar Iger has a lot to hang his head about. Now,will the pricey My Experience/Magic Bands be the draw he claims it to be? Iger isn't about listening to what his customers want, he is alone in his head with his thoughts of they will like what I tell them they will like. It will bring profits. Oy.

But WDW isn't alone. It appears fans of Disney other than WDW have had enough of Iger's hurt. Profits taken at the expense of the Parks. By the looks, Paris fans seem to have found their voices too!

After reading these articles from this month, it occurred to me this will be Iger's legacy world wide, leaving the 90's in the dust for the decline of the 21st century.

Mr Bob Iger, CEO The Walt Disney Company: Save Disneyland Paris

http://boingboing.net/2013/09/15/eur...b-iger-to.html

http://www.change.org/petitions/mr-b...sneyland-paris

Now other than silence wonder how Iger will shrug off the fans from across the pond.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Iger, the legacy isn't pretty

As a fan of the Legends program, I'm still annoyed at Iger for nominating relative new-comer Anika Noni Rose as a Legend just to justify the abysmal box office take for Princess and the Frog. There were other people who should have been named as Legends during the class of Princess voices. Not someone who worked for the company during the same year they were nominated. Bogus, Bob.
    HauntedGabe and Evilduckqueen like this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I like that as a name. Bogus Bob!
    Evilduckqueen likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

I was thinking just that as I typed it.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    As a fan of the Legends program, I'm still annoyed at Iger for nominating relative new-comer Anika Noni Rose as a Legend just to justify the abysmal box office take for Princess and the Frog. There were other people who should have been named as Legends during the class of Princess voices. Not someone who worked for the company during the same year they were nominated. Bogus, Bob.
    I'm wondering if AvatarLand will one day be known as Iger's Folly? I'm not certain the abysmal box office take on Princess and the Frog was the reason behind making Anika Noni Rose a Disney Legend, at least it's not the only one. I think it had just as much to do with her being the first African American Princess. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve some praise for her role and the image she portrayed but she isn't Legend status.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I'm wondering if AvatarLand will one day be known as Iger's Folly? I'm not certain the abysmal box office take on Princess and the Frog was the reason behind making Anika Noni Rose a Disney Legend, at least it's not the only one. I think it had just as much to do with her being the first African American Princess. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve some praise for her role and the image she portrayed but she isn't Legend status.
    Which is the only reason to have set that film in New Orleans. Nice try, Iger. But "F".
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Wayne Mouse is offline A-Ticket holder

reading through the comments made here i have to say that i agree and disagree with them. Though Iger has made a few choice decisions with the parks. He has diversified the way the company is now. As a father to 4 boys, Disney didn't cater enough for them in the merchandising/entertainment area when boys start hitting the pre-teens. Looking at the web sites or the stores in the parks , I still feel like its aimed more at ladies/girls then males. So his acquisition of Star Wars and Marvel is a great breath of fresh air. But the price that the parks have made is noticeable. Maintenance isn't being kept up then you get the big influx of new rides/lands that all seem to be opening at the same time. Where is the planning in spreading the new attractions like there used to be. As for Avartar-land, this just seems a no-brainer, but all CEO's have their kryptonite. Eisner's was his general attitude to the whole company. His quick buck mentality made the animation department a joke with their quick sequels to their big time blockbusters. His whole mess up with Disneyland Paris doesnt even bear to comprehend where his brain was when that idea came about.
    So even though Iger hasn't been the best CEO for the parks, his expansion of the portfolio of characters and moving the company away from the dark days of Eisner have been the best I've seen in the company. Really what the Walt Disney Company needs is the next evolution of Walt himself. Not a business man but a visionary
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Eisner was more about immediate improvements, both in parks and at the theater. Iger seems to be thinking more long term, with Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar. There isn't much Disney can do with Marvel in Florida since Universal has the properties at the present time. As for Star Wars, he could start throwing in walk-around characters immediately, but I think he also realizes the money-making power that is Star Wars weekends. So a possible park expansion isn't going to happen overnight. Same with Avatarland. The trouble is that he's leaving some planning nightmares for the next CEO, under whom these areas will be developed and completed.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Eisner was more about immediate improvements, both in parks and at the theater. Iger seems to be thinking more long term, with Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar. There isn't much Disney can do with Marvel in Florida since Universal has the properties at the present time. As for Star Wars, he could start throwing in walk-around characters immediately, but I think he also realizes the money-making power that is Star Wars weekends. So a possible park expansion isn't going to happen overnight. Same with Avatarland. The trouble is that he's leaving some planning nightmares for the next CEO, under whom these areas will be developed and completed.
    I feel for the next CEO when the State of the Parks is dumped in their laps. While the MK is in the best shape it still has a long way to go from the antiquated Tomorrowland to attractions like PP that still have aluminum foil volcano's.
    These little mystery games and collector cards are not even a stop gap.

If they want to profit from improvements, the money should first go to Epcot. The attendance is nothing like it was and it can absorb the most guests. AK and DHS have stupid infrastructure and can't compete with the MK and Epcot, so while they too need lots of help do to neglect I'd bring Epcot back strong first, it would help to have two parks that guests must do.

I don't envy that next CEO though, daunting. TKS Iger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Mouse View Post
    reading through the comments made here i have to say that i agree and disagree with them. Though Iger has made a few choice decisions with the parks. He has diversified the way the company is now. As a father to 4 boys, Disney didn't cater enough for them in the merchandising/entertainment area when boys start hitting the pre-teens
    Yep. I posted long ago Disney's attempt to PR it that FLE is for boys too. I'll have to find it for you. I had a boy and a girl that grew up through the years in the parks. My DD did one year of the Princess thing at best, she really had zero interest in them so she was in the same boat as her brother. After DS was 5 and outgrew his love of Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles he was forced to Man-up, but in reality by the time he was a preteen he was beyond immersion in any Turtle/Marvel/Power Ranger type thing anyhow. I have thrill oriented kids, my son did Body Wars at 3 years old before the height requirement, my DD climbed on Tower, Splash and Thunder by age 4. We didn't have much use for Fantasyland after their preschool years besides the obligatory ride on Sm World and the Carousel each trip.
    Now Toon, with all the different versions, we spent some time there over their young years.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in Iger...
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

reading through the comments made here i have to say that i agree and disagree with them. Though Iger has made a few choice decisions with the parks. He has diversified the way the company is now. As a father to 4 boys, Disney didn't cater enough for them in the merchandising/entertainment area when boys start hitting the pre-teens. Looking at the web sites or the stores in the parks , I still feel like its aimed more at ladies/girls then males. So his acquisition of Star Wars and Marvel is a great breath of fresh air. But the price that the parks have made is noticeable. Maintenance isn't being kept up then you get the big influx of new rides/lands that all seem to be opening at the same time. Where is the planning in spreading the new attractions like there used to be. As for Avartar-land, this just seems a no-brainer, but all CEO's have their kryptonite. Eisner's was his general attitude to the whole company. His quick buck mentality made the animation department a joke with their quick sequels to their big time blockbusters. His whole mess up with Disneyland Paris doesnt even bear to comprehend where his brain was when that idea came about.
    So even though Iger hasn't been the best CEO for the parks, his expansion of the portfolio of characters and moving the company away from the dark days of Eisner have been the best I've seen in the company. Really what the Walt Disney Company needs is the next evolution of Walt himself. Not a business man but a visionary
    Here is a link to article Focus on Boys in FLE.

Disney's Magic Kingdom New Fantasyland Puts Focus on Boys - ABC News
    Wayne Mouse likes this.

Wayne Mouse is offline A-Ticket holder

a great article, even tough a bit biased as its done by ABC. My only complaint is that disney could do so much more
    HauntedGabe likes this.

a great article, even tough a bit biased as its done by ABC. My only complaint is that disney could do so much more
    You are kind. I find it to be a over the top bias, the title alone was a hilarious spin. Hey boys you have Gaston and Beast. MGM use to more for boys, DHS not so much. When my DS was a middle-schooler we started spending some of our vacation at Uni, have to say most of his souvenir money was spent at Uni by then over Disney.

And today Iger was a guest on the ABC view today in Disneyland where the show will be all week.

He spoke of Mickey's Birthday and his best memories of bringing his first grandchild to Disneyland the first time.
    The trivia part was he was a grunt years ago for Barbara Walters when she was an anchor and Iger said Barbara couldn't remember his name back then.