Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney Animation Studio News.... in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Disney signature sadly passe The Sacramento Bee 8/15/2005 ANYONE who has enjoyed a Disney animated feature from the earliest "Steamboat Willie' and Mickey Mouse cartoons to the first-ever full- length ...
    MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

Disney Animation Studio News....

Disney signature sadly passe
    The Sacramento Bee
    8/15/2005

ANYONE who has enjoyed a Disney animated feature from the earliest "Steamboat Willie' and Mickey Mouse cartoons to the first-ever full- length animated feature "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' in 1937, to "Fantasia' in 1940, to "Jungle Book' in 1967, to 1990s hits "The Little Mermaid,' "Beauty and the Beast,' "Aladdin' and "The Lion King' has to be saddened by the news that in mid-2006 Walt Disney Co. will close its last studio creating hand-drawn animated feature films. The company cited a "changing creative climate and economic environment.' The full story.

The end of such an integral part of the magic Walt created is truly a sad day for those of us who love everything Disney.

Being the visionary and creator of new mediums and techniques that he was, I believe that if Walt were here he would be leading the creative jump to computer animation and as always setting the benchmark. We all know that the Disney name is already synonymous with computer animation through it's Pixar collaborations.

We can only hope that the new team being developed at Disney can meet the same high standards and creativity as the Pixar/Disney team has shown in its initial theatrical efforts.
    Last edited by MickeyBabe; 08-18-2005 at 10:44 AM.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

Grrrr....

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it.

Why don't they focus on creating great stories with well developed characters and throw in some great tunes once in awhile AND then decide which style of animation fits it best. Not everything needs to be CGI or even hand drawn. The two can peacefully co-exist IMHO.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    So true, I couldn't agree more.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

Disney Animation Studio News

what a sad day in disney that they have to close something that started all the magic

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    How truly sad. It is such a part of history. I am afraid it will be lost forever.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    after a succession of disappointments for me, this comes as no surprise. I might as well write down all my favorite things (that are left, and they are few) and mail it to Disney so they can get a head start on closing them down or tearing them up.

all I can say is, "BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

If we can dream it, we can do it

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Disney should buck the trend and go back to their artistic roots such as Pinocchio and let the other studios make CG movies that all look the same. Don't get me wrong, The Incredible and Finding Nemo were great, but each of Disney's classic hand-drawn features bears the stamp of the artist in charge of each particular character or background. . . . who is the faceless guy at the keyboard in charge of animating Valiant? CG animation for the most part all looks exactly the same.

Is anyone hyped up to see "Valiant"? This new Disney CG effort looks kind of Blah to me. . . . who can even tell Disney is making this movie, what's the difference?
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    How can anyone be hyped about seeing Valiant when, like ENG, Disney has put little money in marketing it?

As far as CG all looking the same, well I have to really disagree with that. After watching some very talented graphic artists, it takes a lot of work and talent to realistically animate on the computer. It really is not any easier than hand drawn animation in my opinion. I have a lot of respect for animators....hand drawn, stop motion, or CG. They are not any more faceless than the traditional animator to me, IMHO.

As for the success of the CGI films of late...I wonder if Disney has ever thought that maybe the reason Pixar and Shrek have done so well is because they are well thought out stories with wonderful characters? You know...something Disney used to accel at and not so long ago dominated.

Again, I see no reason why the two cannot co-exist. I enjoy both forms.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    As far as CG all looking the same, well I have to really disagree with that. After watching some very talented graphic artists, it takes a lot of work and talent to realistically animate on the computer. It really is not any easier than hand drawn animation in my opinion. I have a lot of respect for animators....hand drawn, stop motion, or CG. They are not any more faceless than the traditional animator to me, IMHO.
    Maybe you are right in a way, Finding Nemo and Final Fantasy:Spirits Within were both fantastic movies with different styles. . . . maybe I'm just bitter or something.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"