Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Disney bringing back "old"animators in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Found this interesting. Nice to see they respect the roots of the company. I got it from the hollywood reporter. March 01, 2006 'Mermaid' men back in Dis net Alan ...
    Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder

Disney bringing back "old"animators

Found this interesting. Nice to see they respect the roots of the company. I got it from the hollywood reporter.

March 01, 2006

'Mermaid' men back in Dis net

Alan Menken
    By Sheigh Crabtree
    The future of Walt Disney Feature Animation under Disney CEO Robert Iger, Walt Disney Studios chairman **** Cook and Pixar Animation Studios' John Lasseter and Ed Catmull might lie in the future of CG, but the studio said Tuesday that as it moves forward, it also is returning to its past.

Disney has signed composer Alan Menken, an eight-time Oscar winner and one of the driving forces behind "The Little Mermaid" -- which helped resuscitate Disney animation in the '80s -- to a nonexclusive, multipicture deal.

Highly regarded feature animation directors John Musker and Ron Clements, the team behind such animated hits as "Mermaid" and "Aladdin," also are returning to the Disney fold.

Menken, whose deal also involves live-action films, is developing the feature animated musical "The Frog Princess," based on the classic Grimm fairy tale.

CM8ShowAd("Middle"); Musker and Clements, who together directed "The Great Mouse Detective" and "Hercules," among other Disney animated films, were engaged by interim WDFA president Don Hahn to develop original new projects.

The directing team already has begun work on the lot in Burbank, discussing story ideas with Lasseter and Catmull on a daily basis while they also oversee the digital remastering of "The Little Mermaid," which Disney is preparing to release on DVD.

Musker and Clements had been developing a project titled "Fraidy Cat" since late 2004 but departed Disney when it failed to win a green light. It is not among the projects the directing team is actively developing, according to executives close to the situation.

For his first assignment under the new deal, Menken will score as well as write five original songs for Walt Disney Pictures' upcoming romantic musical fantasy, "Enchanted," a combination of live action and 2-D animation from animator James Baxter (HR 1/13). "Enchanted" is directed by Kevin Lima ("Tarzan"), and the project will see Menken reunite with Tony- and Oscar-winning lyricist Stephen Schwartz, his collaborator on "Pocahontas" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame."

"Alan is a true Disney legend, and his music has enriched so many of our films," Cook said.

Added Walt Disney Music president Chris Montan: "He was an important part of our animation renaissance here at Disney and continues to be one of the most exciting, original and prolific composer-songwriters of our times. We're thrilled to be working with him on such a wide variety of projects and look forward to seeing him stretch his talents in new and innovative ways."

Under the terms of this new arrangement, Menken is expanding his role from within other divisions of Disney. For Disney Theatrical Prods., he is in preproduction on the stage version of "The Little Mermaid."

For Disney Creative Entertainment, Menken is creating a stage musical of "The Snow Queen," set to debut at Tokyo DisneySea with Amon Miyamoto directing and John Weidman as the bookwriter and Glen Slater the lyricist. He also is writing music for a Sinbad attraction in Japan for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Menken recently completed scoring Disney's upcoming live-action comedy "The Shaggy Dog," due in theaters March 10.

Menken's deal with Disney was brokered by Richard Kraft of Kraft-Engel Management.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Wow, imagine them doing something that actually works!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    ... can I make my opinion any clearer?
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    "Old" animators is going to make everything awesome!
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Big Cheese is offline B-Ticket Holder
    This was in our local paper related to that. Interesting!

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...73238879318676
    TheBIGGEST,Little kid in the O Family!
    DISNEY ROCKS!
    WDW Dec. 75 - offsite
    WDW June 88 - Honeymoon, offsite
    WDW Feb. 2001 - All Star Sports
    WDW Dec. 2002 - All Star Music
    Disneyland April 2003 - offsite
    WDW Dec. 2005 - POP Century
    WDW Feb. 2007 - All Star Sports
    WDW Feb. 2008 - All Star Sports
    WDW Oct. 2009 - Caribbean Beach
    WDW Feb 2010 All Star Music
    WDW June. 2011 POP Century

C#ern@b0g is offline I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it...
    That is spectacular news!

This is exactly the right thing to do. They've secured the future with Pixar back in the fold - now, go back to what made you great, and FOCUS on the animation.

Minimize these direct-to-video features done by your TV animation teams. Take the time to really hone and refine your craft, and animate the very best quality films there are.

It's so great to be de-Eisnered...
    I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it - Edgar Allan Poe

rxpeje63 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I can not wait to see what they make

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." W.D.
    DH DS(17) DD (14)DD(10) Chewbacca(4)
    Han Solo(3)
    DW 8/1/62 - 9/4/10

C#ern@b0g is offline I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it...
    There are still more than enough old myths to be told, and new magic to be made.

I'm excited to see the difference...
    I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it - Edgar Allan Poe

eJud is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Cheese
    This was in our local paper related to that. Interesting!

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...73238879318676
    Hi Big Cheese,

At the recent NFFC meet in Celebration I met Tony West, long time Disney Animator, Florida, who produced the movie they are talking about, "Dream on Silly Dreamer", and got it on DVD (signed). It is quite a good movie and a must see for any fan of "real" animation. (Also met Lou!)

My report and a link to photos of the meet and the people there are at my blog.

http://iJud.blogspot.com

Jud

Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder
    First of all, welcome to the boards, eJud!

My opinon-
    the old guys will help Disney a lot. When was the last non-Pixar flim that is considered a great Disney flim?

Hi Soccergirl,

"First of all, welcome to the boards, eJud!"

Thank you! Got here about a week or so ago, but not qutie as chatty as I once was.

"My opinon- the old guys will help Disney a lot.

I think anyone who had anything to do with eliminating Disney Animation should be gotten rid of- if it were the miltary, we could try and hang them, but civilian stuff- just have to fire them. Then I think a MASSIVE PUBLIC apology should be made for their treatement of the animators and they should publicly beg them on their hands and knees to come back. And the "Direct to Vid" stuff- that is done by a nasty little department called "TV animation" and pretty much anything that comes out of there is trash, so triple refunds should be made to anyone who ever bought anything from there, or went to see the one they actually had the nerve to project on the big screen, PP II.

Given that, and a vow of "hands off" by management, ie anyone whose degree is in biz versus art, then maybe the "old men" (and ladies!) will help Disney a lot.

Hehehheheheeee....

"When was the last non-Pixar flim that is considered a great Disney flim?"

LOL! Wel... let me see- it would be Lilo & Stitch, except that that was not Disney. It was a secret privately done project by Chris Sanders and presented to Disney as a virtually done deal so the management never got a chance to mess it up. (Although Tony West who was in on that one told me some fascinating stories about it! Certain changes were made- it ws being made when 9-11 happened.)

Brother Bear was very frustrating in that at several points it threatned to become a great movie, then suddenly collapsed into cliche- you can almost see the bean counter walk into the art studio...

How far back you have to go before that... hmmm... I thought Tarzan was good and frankly didn't understand the relatively low box office. Mulan was okay- nothing phenomenal, but no real "badness level".

As "Dream on Silly Dreamer" makes clear, Lion King etc just ruined everything!
    "I went on Everest!!! Twice!!! "

Okay... I have done Splash and Thunder mountains 100+ times- What's the prize? hehehehheee... Seriously though, is it enough to justify a whole day at AK? I have a one day one park pass (AP expired some time ago) and I am more inclined to spend that one day at Epcot, but this new unknown Everest has thrown a wrench in the works... if you had only one more visit ever to WDW, for one day, one park, would you use it to see Everest?

Jud

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I just looked up that "Dream On Silly Dreamer" movie and now I REALLY want to see it. sounds like something that would be right up my alley. the only place I could find to get it is from the film's webpage. it's $20 but I imagine it's probly worth it.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Hi 7thAve,

Is that as in NYC???

"I just looked up that "Dream On Silly Dreamer" movie and now I REALLY
    want to see it. sounds like something that would be right up my alley.
    the only place I could find to get it is from the film's webpage. it's
    $20 but I imagine it's probly worth it."

Well, think of it this way- you will be helping out some former Disney animators who got rudely used and dumped by the new DizCorp! (Oh I am being so mean! Hehhehheee... can you tell I have a button on classic animation?)

My take is this, it is worth it.

As a purely entertainment movie, it would probably get a B or B- from me (I am very critical of movies, which I consider today's major art form); as a documentary on either DizCorp or Disney animation during this particular period, I would give it an A; as a historical document, it is simply priceless. This is like those wonderful old behind the scenes shorts that you used to get now and then on Wonderful World- back when it was- and if you found that fascinating, this is just going to knock your socks off. I will note that there is one part that is NOT in the movie, but in the extra bonus stuff- don't know why- I would have included it in the main feature- it is the day the animators go back to pay for and pick up their own drawing stations. Frankly, that section alone could have stood as the whole story if one is really paying attention.

So, bottom line, ya, go spend the 20!

Jud

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    kind of old thread, but...

more exciting than the animators to me is the return of alan menken and stephen schwartz. schwartz is very hot right now with the huge success of wicked, and we haven't heard from menken in awhile. perhaps now musically awesome disney films can be made again! to me, the last was hunchback, which i think was the last menken/schwartz combo.

now if they bring back howard ashman from the dead, we'll really be in business! why noy bring old walt back, too...he seemed like an idea man...

totally off topic, but each time i see d. cook's name bleeped out, i imagine his name is a much dirtier 4 letter word and it makes me laugh!!

KUNGALOOSH!!!

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    I wonder if Don Bluth ever plans on returning to the company, since his own animation studios kind of flopped after Titan A.E.....or if they would even hire him back.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast