Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney Company Discuss Books on Walt? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hey everyone, I'm writting a research paper on Walt Disney for my english class and we need at least 3 sources from books, so we cant just use the good ...
    nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

Books on Walt?

Hey everyone, I'm writting a research paper on Walt Disney for my english class and we need at least 3 sources from books, so we cant just use the good ol' net (*gasp*). Does anyone know any good books that have alot of info on Walt? Thanks
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

jeffcot is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Bob Thomas' "Walt Disney An American Original" is the standard Walt bio that's been around for years. My personal favorite is "The Magic Kingdom" by Steven Watts. Avoid "Disney's World" by Leonard Mosley--he's one of the hacks responsible for perpetuating the whole "Walt was frozen" urban legend.

Also, do a search on either Amazon or B&N, but make sure to add 'biography in your search line. It will give you quite a few others you might want to take a look for.

Regards--

Jeff
    Jeff Pepper
    Author of 2719 Hyperion
    Disney World Trivia.com and WDW Radio Show Contributor

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Thanks for the info, very helpful I'll check out the books that you mentioned.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy
    There is a new biography coming out on Oct. 31 by

Neal Gabler, "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination." (available for pre-order on Amazon)

Katherine and Richard Greene have two very good books on Walt

The Man Behind the Magic ISBN 0-670-82259-0 and
    Inside the Dream: The Personal Story of Walt Disney ISBN 0-786-85350-6

However I do not know if they are still in print
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I'm reading a book called "The Disney Version" about Disney films. There is a lot of information about the earlier films Walt worked on in it.

go2mco is offline A-Ticket holder
    After you're done with your Walt report, I highly recommend taking a look at another Bob Thomas book, "Building a company : Roy O. Disney and the creation of an entertainment empire".

This is an excellent book about Walt's brother and gives you another perspective: While Walt was the idea man, Roy was the money man...

-Sal

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm writting a research paper on Walt Disney for my english class and we need at least 3 sources from books, so we cant just use the good ol' net (*gasp*). Does anyone know any good books that have alot of info on Walt? Thanks
    WOAH! I did one on Walt last year for my English Honors mid year report! My teacher did not really want me to do Walt Disney, but let me anyways. We had to get definitions from the book, make up tests and quizes, and a ton of other stuff! In the end, it was over 20 pages long!

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    If you want a good primer, there is a terrific documentary film that is narrated by **** Van Dyke called The Man Behind the Myth, or soemthing like that. It is very good.

Also, keep in mind that the nature of your project should determine what books you need. If you are doing a biographical essay, then the biographies mentioned are all terrific. But if you are doing something on Walt's projects then you want books about the creative aspects of the Walt Disney Company history, of which there are literally hundreds.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/