Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss Disney or D.C.? in the Cast Members forums; I need some advice. I am trying to decide which internship program I want to do... a Disney (College Program) or a Congressional Internship. I am a poli sci major, ...
    mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder

Disney or D.C.?

I need some advice. I am trying to decide which internship program I want to do... a Disney (College Program) or a Congressional Internship. I am a poli sci major, and I need to build a resume (so anything will help).

Any thoughts?

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    LMMEO....and you are asking this on what type of posting boards?? TOO FUNNY

Just kidding dude, personally, I would take Disney over Congress anyday but it does depend on what you want to do later on.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

flutter is offline Moderator
    I think for your career choice D.C. might be a better choice.....but I say WDW

LMMEO....and you are asking this on what type of posting boards?? TOO FUNNY

LOL! I had thought about that before I posted.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    I need some advice. I am trying to decide which internship program I want to do... a Disney (College Program) or a Congressional Internship. I am a poli sci major, and I need to build a resume (so anything will help).

Any thoughts?
    First, why ask this type of question on a Disney message board, unless you've already made your decision for WDW and are just looking for support?

What do you plan on doing with your poli sci degree? WDW is fun and nice. But if you plan on pursuing career options related to your degree, than going for the Congressional Internship makes a heck of lot of sense. And one thing about my bachelor's degree I wish I had was more internships. When you graduate, you'll already be ahead of other graduates having this (and possibly more) relevant internships under your belt and on your resume. Degrees and education are nice, but relevant experience is also a key factor to obtaining a decent position after graduation. Just something to keep in mind....college isn't just about attending class or taking exams.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    Wdw think of the experience you will have
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Do you plan on running for office?....right or left?...do you see yourself in an entertainment based carrer or public service based?...will the connections you make in Congress, or Disney, help you more?

Honestly, if you want to be in politics the Congressional internship is your best bet. If i didn't have the passion I have for guest service and entertainment, i would have gone the political way...someday (when allowed...in more ways than one) i will run for office (state). So see how you respond to those questions...it's a big deal that will set you for life.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Sun View Post
    Do you plan on running for office?....right or left?...do you see yourself in an entertainment based carrer or public service based?...will the connections you make in Congress, or Disney, help you more?
    As far as me running for office - Maybe in the WAY distant future, as a moderate (maybe a little to the right)

ok...what is your heart telling you to do?...do you want to run for state office, then move to nationals?...and how far down the road?...are you talking as soon as you can run (25 for state)...the first election after you turn 25?...Disney is a great organization but if your goal is to be in politics then politics is the way to go. I hope i'm not being confusing. It sounds like you might want to go into politics...when my mother ran for office in Florida she ran with this "If you want to teach your kids oceanography, take them to the ocean. If you want to teach your kids agriculture, take them to a field. The point is, classrooms are a good place to learn but to experience the role is a great place to learn." So, i guess what it means is, if you really want to run for office...if that is what your heart is telling you...the Congrssional Internship is best.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years

Thats a very good point. I really dont know what my future plans are. When I said that I MIGHT run for office, I meant way, way, way into the future.
    What office did your mother run for? Did she win?

Unfortunately she lost...we were not allowed to do some of the things that the other candidate could (Fair, right?!) and she ran for a county wide school board seat. It was very cool and oh-so-much fun...I LOVED CAMPAINGING!!! I met a lot of people through the campaign. I have had dinner with former Governor Jeb Bush (very cool) and met and had dinner with many state legislators. Come to think of it, i have a tie and cufflinks from Rep. Mike Fasano and a very nice lapel pin American flag from Gov. Bush. It's an interesting business to get into.

I don't know...the experience at Disney is great, but a letter from a Congressman/woman is awesome too. And it's ok not to know what you want to do with the rest of your life...life is about experiencing thing and FINDING YOURSELF!!! Just recently did I find that one out!! Ok..so this I think is where my help come to an end (really,I'm always here if you need me to answer questions) and i give you one last thing..."WHAT IS YOUR HEART TELLING YOU TO DO? FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!"

PM me if you have anymore questions or need anymore help.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years

Thanks Summer, you have been a big help and provided me with some great advice.

My pleasure...anytime.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years

Disney05 is online now Premium Annual Passholder
    We have more than enough people in politics. Although it probably won't further your career in politics, go Disney.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Good luck.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast