Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss When does it start? in the Cast Members forums; When does the Spring Advantage CPs usually begin. I am thinking about changing my plans and doing the CP in the spring rather than the Fall, But I was also ...
    mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder

When does it start?

When does the Spring Advantage CPs usually begin. I am thinking about changing my plans and doing the CP in the spring rather than the Fall, But I was also planning on running in the '09 marathon which is on Jan. 10, 2009 and just wanted to know whether the program usually begins before or after that day.

Thanks in advance!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    My son's fall CP's group ended January 04, 08. The first group of Spring CP's started January 8th I believe, they generally stagger arrivals by over a week or so in 3 groups plus wiggle the International program in the same general time frame. The fall advantage could be extended to start in May, July or last mid August. There were 3 starts in August and my CP'er picked the middle one. Our good friends kid did the Spring Advantage last year and went down the 3rd week in January and release was mid-May however she extended and her last day in August was 2 days after my CP'er started.

Words of wisdom: Put a great deal of thought into your release date. It is difficult to alter if not impossible after you pick it, while you could always leave it will not be with the programs blessing. So make sure it fits with your summer or school plans for the fall.

If I can pick my starting day, that would be great. I might could work it out to where I go down for the marathon and then start the CP around the same time (only one trip). To clarify, a CPer can pick the day they are released or does Disney give them a list of days to pick from?

As far as choosing a release date, I should be in good shape. My (future, I'm transfering in the Fall) school historically doesn't begin until the 3rd full week of August. If not, I'm sure I will know for sure when classes start back before I go.
    - Matt

When you apply in the fall, interview, the acceptance packet. Packet will list available start dates and and end date of the program in May. You can choose to leave in May from the start or pick to extend into the summer. While it appears you must choose you will be given the opportunity to extend while you are down there if you have a good track record. The extending time is when you have more flex. All fall CP'ers end dates from the actual program were released Jan. 4th. Their Flex starts were at the beginning/arrival time. My guess is there is an exit date for May too. Extending into the summer flex's. Knowing this year's Spring was starting Jan. 8th and our friends kid started the 3rd week of Jan. they seem to have arrival dates to pick from. You might have to hotel it for multiple days after the marathon until Disney's next start date.

We called it induction day, hundreds of new CP's, staging area's for CP's and the parents corral. We were given tours and lunch and PR video's. The first half of the day was registration, finger prints, ID's etc. Room assignments then given. Then they loaded them on a bus and took them for their briefing, about 3 hours and then they had the balance of the day to unpack and grocery shop.

Depending on your financial situation be prepared to come down with money on that debit card! It will be weeks before you get a real paycheck and you will have immediate expenses. The first check my CP'er got was around $20. They start with rent from day one, (I paid the first week up front with registration packet around $80) Some of the CP'ers checks were negative, in the hole. Just bring money to survive, have some fun the first week (most free time you'll have) and money to feed yourself in training and to fill the fridge.

Any questions in the Fall when you are signing up send me a message, if I don't know my CP'er will.

Thanks for all of the info! I'm really excited now!!!
    - Matt

My CP'er just loved it and wished he was still there. I'm sure you will too. The only thing he wished was that he was 21 instead of 20.

We are the same age! I'll be 21 if I do the CP in the Spring and 22 if I do it in the Fall (I'm still unsure). I know that you have to be 21 in order to be in the "wet" appartments, but I don't drink so I don't guess that really matters. Maybe there will be some more sober people in there.
    Last edited by mattj4226; 01-27-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    - Matt

It isn't that you have to drink, but so many places that the CP's go require you to be 21+ to gain entry.

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    What is a CP?

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

It is a College Program for Students that have at least finished one semester of college. The live at WDW College Housing in an apartment. They attend College classes and work at WDW for the entire semester and receive college credit while living there for about half a year. I bet you would love it. Here is more information on this site.
    the CP=College Program

Disney College Program- Students

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It isn't that you have to drink, but so many places that the CP's go require you to be 21+ to gain entry.
    That's true too, I didn't think about PI, City Walk and other places there are around. I'm one of the nerdy people that only think about the parks!

What was your son's "role" while he was there?
    - Matt

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It is a College Program for Students that have at least finished one semester of college. The live at WDW College Housing in an apartment. They attend College classes and work at WDW for the entire semester and receive college credit while living there for about half a year. I bet you would love it. Here is more information on this site.
    the CP=College Program

Disney College Program- Students
    I would absolutely love to do that! I am planning to go to college so this will be great!

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

wdwforever is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for the great info. I'm also hoping to CP in Spring 09.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    When does the Spring Advantage CPs usually begin. I am thinking about changing my plans and doing the CP in the spring rather than the Fall, But I was also planning on running in the '09 marathon which is on Jan. 10, 2009 and just wanted to know whether the program usually begins before or after that day.

Thanks in advance!
    The dates will vary. Spring dates usually start around Jan 5 to about Jan 18. Then the advantage dates start a little later (running into early Feb). When I did Spring 2005 my start date was Jan 12. And when my Fall Advantage 2006 program ended, the last day was Jan 5th.

I also plan on doing Spring 2009 as well.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

That would be great, two DWT members on a CP. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to do the Spring or the Fall.
    - Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast